PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 is there a new target?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: is there a new target?  (Read 4088 times)

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
is there a new target?
« on: March 26, 2010, 07:50:03 AM »

Given that we're not going up or down this year, when did we last finish higher than 10th in the non league pyramid?
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: is there a new target?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 08:09:09 AM »

The target should be for promotion,until mathmatically gone,if results go ok tomorrow,we'll be three wins off a playoff spot,and with still having to play york luton and oxford,its still attainable however slight the chance maybe.

wonderstuff

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 09:05:28 AM »

The target should be for promotion,until mathmatically gone,if results go ok tomorrow,we'll be three wins off a playoff spot,and with still having to play york luton and oxford,its still attainable however slight the chance maybe.

I agree, but just getting into a playoff position would be amazing. I'm getting really sick of clubs believing they should 'beat a club like Altrincham' and getting into the play offs would be a big finger at them all.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 09:09:34 AM »

I agree, but just getting into a playoff position would be amazing. I'm getting really sick of clubs believing they should 'beat a club like Altrincham' and getting into the play offs would be a big finger at them all.

I reckon if we were riding high at the top of the league, certain clubs/managers would still say that

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 09:28:22 AM »

Given that we're not going up or down this year, when did we last finish higher than 10th in the non league pyramid?

I would guess that this was 1994/5 season.

Number23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 09:41:21 AM »

Well yes, the target will be to win every game but realistically we have some very tough games coming up. FGR still have plenty to fight for on the pitch even if they are struggling financially. The next 5 are against teams who are likely to still playing for a promoting/play off place.
To get into the play-offs we would need to get above Rushden or York. York have a few 'easier games' - two against Grays, one each against Barrow and Eastbourne - in which you would expect them to pick up points. Rushden have lost once (0-1 to Oxford) in 14 league games and so hardly look vulnerable. Even if they only pick up six points each from their last eight games we'd need to get 21 points to overtake them. It isn't going to happen. (I'd love - LOVE IT - it if I was wrong mind you!)

Just holding on to 10th would be a great achievement and cap an excellent season but Kiddy have games in hand. I'd be very happy if the last game was a play-off for 11th with Cambridge.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 09:51:52 AM »

I'd be even happier if we were 11th and 4 points in front of 12th place cambridge!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Number23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 09:54:00 AM »

I'd be even happier if we were 11th and 4 points in front of 12th place cambridge!
Yeah, but wheres the fun in that?  ;D

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 10:24:56 AM »

The way we have performed over the last 7 games I dont fear anybody who we have left to play.. Our boys can relax...

Its the teams we still have to play who have the pressure on them...

Rest assured, If we keep up the same standard of late,  there will be a few more points coming our way before this season is done and dusted

Cmon Alty

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 11:23:55 AM »

Sorry, thats not what I meant by this thread, I was trying to say is there a target of previous performance that we can beat such as:-
If we finish 8th its the best season since 1995 or if we finish 6th the best since 1989 etc.
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Jenga

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 12:23:45 PM »

I just want to finish 10th or higher.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 12:40:01 PM »

4th in 1994/95;

10th in 1992/93 & 1993/94;

12th in 1995/96;

15th in 2008/09.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

JonnyKeen

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 01:05:33 PM »

I can't remember where but I'm sure Heathcite said a few weeks back that he was going to work on getting mathematically safe from relegation and then assesing prospects for next season?

jimmyhank

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 05:19:46 PM »

According to JL's forecast we'll finish 11th on 61pts which will, according to Cult's summary, be our best finish since the 93-94 season. I appreciate we have to play the top teams but even with a depleted squad we're looking very difficult to break down.

C'mon lads - big push for the line.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 09:09:40 PM »

According to JL's forecast we'll finish 11th on 61pts which will, according to Cult's summary, be our best finish since the 93-94 season. I appreciate we have to play the top teams but even with a depleted squad we're looking very difficult to break down.

C'mon lads - big push for the line.

Hate to be pedantic but it would be the best since 1994-95. Still fifteen years though! I'd settle for that 8) :)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 is there a new target?