Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Taken from the Oxford Website and posted on DevaChat ...

Author Topic: Taken from the Oxford Website and posted on DevaChat ...  (Read 3651 times)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: March 19, 2010, 05:28:48 PM »

Clubs to appeal over Chester Expunging
Posted on: Fri 19 Mar 2010
Oxford United have confirmed that they are one of ten clubs that have registered an Appeal with the FA and Football Conference concerning the expunging of points, following the recent demise of Chester City.

The 125 year old club was expelled from the Football Conference after a vote by clubs at an EGM, following their failure to fulfil fixtures. They had until 5 March to appeal the decision. Having not done so, on 8th March, the Football Conference announced the board decision to expunge all points gained by any teams in matches against Chester City.

A spokesperson said

"The strength of feeling within the clubs that have appealed is that the decision to expunge points so late in the season was not the right way of dealing with this situation. We don't think that it was fair or reasonable when the Conference as a whole is considered. By the time Chester were expelled, 80% of the playing season had passed and we believe it would have been fairer to all to have awarded teams 3 points for the unplayed games, a solution the FA has previously implemented. This way all events that happened on the field of play, whether they be points gained or lost, bookings, injuries, bonus payments, goals scored etc all count, which is as it should be. We do not believe it fair that points and the record of goals scored are expunged, yet bookings incurred in those games remain in force and count towards match bans".

The Football Conference has until 8 April (21 days) to serve a reply, after which the FA will announce a date for a Hearing.

Seems a no-goer to me.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

York Alty

Re: Taken from the Oxford Website and posted on DevaChat ...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 05:34:56 PM »

Fleetwodd are also trying the same thing.

Lets say Poxford win the case...how is that fair on the teams that now cannot play the same number of games?   

It's a mess all round but one things for sure, there will be more and more situations like this so this needs sorting before the end of the season.  I fear we may have a preliminary round of the this seasons AGM Cup

Dougals Dad

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 05:35:08 PM »

"it would have been fairer to all to have awarded teams 3 points for the unplayed games"

How, in the name of Englebert Humperdink, is that fairer?

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 05:39:31 PM »

Would be fantastic for Barrow, Kettering and Crawley who would get, effectively, six more points for nothing!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

jimmyhank

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 05:44:27 PM »

More chance of Alty playing a friendly v Ashton!

Jezza

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 07:17:48 PM »

I'm pleased to be connected with a club who despite losing out on Chester's expungement maintain a dignified acceptance of the situation.

casper

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 08:04:53 PM »

A couple of points

I am not in favour of this appeal, it seems to be based upon the Spennymoor debacle in 2005. So a couple of points need mentioning:

1.   Spennymoor in 2005 was in the Unibond league, so I would have thought it was the right of the Unibond league to sort the points out. The conference with Chester and Farsley have applied their rules in the correct way to both leagues, and clubs.
2.   Spennymoor went bust with 9 games to play. Chester went having played 28 (60%) of their games. In Spennymoor’s case points were awarded for unplayed matches. 
3.   If Spennymoor points had been expunged, then Farsley would have been promoted instead of Workington. (Farsley lost 1-0, drew 1-1) Workington won twice (5-0, 5-1).
4.                 This year, 3 teams haven’t even played Chester, one in the playoffs, one in a relegation scrap, and another in top half obscurity. Any further point’s addition would have severe effects in all aspects of the league table.

5.   I think the current approach is much better. If a team goes bust during the season, all points have to be expunged. Keeping the points, and awarding points to those who haven’t played them is unfair – who seriously believes Dean Saunders’ Wrexham would actually beat Chester?? As similar to Weymouth last year, those who played them earlier in the season, played a decent side. Those who played them later, like us at home, were playing against their youth team. I can see merits to the appeal, BUT the club have gone completely, as Durham City have shown, even the worst teams can win games.
6.   The clubs that have appealed should be ashamed of themselves, curiously though I haven’t seen any mention of Mr Peake’s FGR?!? Shirley this is a mistake on someone’s part? I would have thought any chance of keeping FGR up, he would take.

If the clubs mentioned didn’t want the results expunged, then they should have voted to keep Chester in. Each club knew of the penalty when chester were being kicked out, and effectively agreed as such by voting them off. The conference need to stick to their guns here. The clubs should be docked 10 points for bringing such a frivolous appeal.

jimmyhank

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 11:59:07 PM »

I'm pleased to be connected with a club who despite losing out on Chester's expungement maintain a dignified acceptance of the situation.

Well said that man.

Jenga

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 06:10:06 PM »

A couple of points

I am not in favour of this appeal, it seems to be based upon the Spennymoor debacle in 2005. So a couple of points need mentioning:

1.   Spennymoor in 2005 was in the Unibond league, so I would have thought it was the right of the Unibond league to sort the points out. The conference with Chester and Farsley have applied their rules in the correct way to both leagues, and clubs.
2.   Spennymoor went bust with 9 games to play. Chester went having played 28 (60%) of their games. In Spennymoor’s case points were awarded for unplayed matches. 
3.   If Spennymoor points had been expunged, then Farsley would have been promoted instead of Workington. (Farsley lost 1-0, drew 1-1) Workington won twice (5-0, 5-1).
4.                 This year, 3 teams haven’t even played Chester, one in the playoffs, one in a relegation scrap, and another in top half obscurity. Any further point’s addition would have severe effects in all aspects of the league table.

5.   I think the current approach is much better. If a team goes bust during the season, all points have to be expunged. Keeping the points, and awarding points to those who haven’t played them is unfair – who seriously believes Dean Saunders’ Wrexham would actually beat Chester?? As similar to Weymouth last year, those who played them earlier in the season, played a decent side. Those who played them later, like us at home, were playing against their youth team. I can see merits to the appeal, BUT the club have gone completely, as Durham City have shown, even the worst teams can win games.
6.   The clubs that have appealed should be ashamed of themselves, curiously though I haven’t seen any mention of Mr Peake’s FGR?!? Shirley this is a mistake on someone’s part? I would have thought any chance of keeping FGR up, he would take.

If the clubs mentioned didn’t want the results expunged, then they should have voted to keep Chester in. Each club knew of the penalty when chester were being kicked out, and effectively agreed as such by voting them off. The conference need to stick to their guns here. The clubs should be docked 10 points for bringing such a frivolous appeal.

That is 6 points, not a couple  ;D
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team