PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The £600,000 early 00's debt...
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The £600,000 early 00's debt...  (Read 4665 times)

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: February 09, 2010, 05:57:07 PM »

Just a simple question really.

When we were that much in debt, we repaid the amount owed and lived within our means. Therefore 'x' amount each month was set aside for the debt. When this was cleared would that not allow 'x' amount each month to be freed up to be spent elsewhere ? Was it, and has it or still is ? We haven't paid a penny in transfer fees (which i agree is right) and are told we have one of the smallest budgets in the league, rightly so too. But has the squad REALLY changed since we won promotion in 2005 ? I'm in n way suggesting we should be signing players left right and centre, just intrigued... I know obv higher rates, higher bills etc but we must have been paying a good whack each month to pay that off, OR do we have any 'loans' outstanding ???

If say, Mr Brown who has a mortgage at £500 a month is told its okay you dont have to pay anymore, wouldn't he be £500 a month better off ?

markecky

Re: The £600,000 early 00's debt...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 06:11:23 PM »

Its also probably the least simple simple question ever!

Once the debt to the VAT and tax was paid in monthly instalments there was two brand new payments to factor into the budget.

A payment to current tax and vat each month!

You're not going to get an official answer on this I doubt.

The directors have always said that any spare penny has gone into the wage bill, which will be higher than in 2005.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 06:27:18 PM »

Its also probably the least simple simple question ever!

Once the debt to the VAT and tax was paid in monthly instalments there was two brand new payments to factor into the budget.

A payment to current tax and vat each month!
You're not going to get an official answer on this I doubt.

The directors have always said that any spare penny has gone into the wage bill, which will be higher than in 2005.

Quite right, i'd forgot that :)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 07:39:15 PM »

Clearly the 2009-10 squad is better than the 2003-04 squad (with improvements year on year, more or less).  And I would posit the hypothesis that this is because we are spending more on the squad - and ergo we are spending more because we have more to spend as a direct consequence of paying off the debt!

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »

Clearly the 2009-10 squad is better than the 2003-04 squad (with improvements year on year, more or less).  And I would posit the hypothesis that this is because we are spending more on the squad - and ergo we are spending more because we have more to spend as a direct consequence of paying off the debt!

Are we though ? Im sure not so long ago we were told the budget was there or thereabouts as of that from 5 years ago. Undoubtedly the players are better.

markecky

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 08:17:23 PM »

The budget under Bernard/Mark Ward five years was publicly acknowledged as around £3,500.

Without knowing the current budget, I know it will be a damn sight more than that

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 08:20:56 PM »

You can get a lot of Dave Swannicks for £3,500 a week!   :D
Come on Alty!

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 08:33:38 PM »

The budget under Bernard/Mark Ward five years was publicly acknowledged as around £3,500.

Without knowing the current budget, I know it will be a damn sight more than that

Really ? I think we could all be quite suprised. I would reckon around £4,000 - 16 players on £250 ?

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 10:57:09 PM »

Really ? I think we could all be quite suprised. I would reckon around £4,000 - 16 players on £250 ?

£250? Hmm, off the mark there.

But has the squad REALLY changed since we won promotion in 2005 ? Is that a serious question? The only players from that first seaon who'd get into the current team are Colin, Stu and Pottsy (if he was fully fit and flying), maybe James Robinson too. Everywhere else it's not even close (apart from maybe Val).

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 03:02:36 PM »

£250? Hmm, off the mark there.

But has the squad REALLY changed since we won promotion in 2005 ? Is that a serious question? The only players from that first seaon who'd get into the current team are Colin, Stu and Pottsy (if he was fully fit and flying), maybe James Robinson too. Everywhere else it's not even close (apart from maybe Val).

I didn't mean player wise, I meant on the financial front.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 04:38:51 PM »

Re. that often quoted £600,000 debt.

Someone will no doubt correct me if I've got this wrong but isn't it the case that we didn't actually pay back that amount in full?

As I recall, circa £370,000 of that figure of £600,000 comprised what Gerry Berman was claiming back as a Director's loan.

As repayment of the sum claimed by former Chairman Berman was conditional on the club relocating to a new stadium (and since this prospect was subsequently eliminated), wasn't that particular debt effectively written off?

Mister Heslop will no doubt be able to confirm or deny my aforementioned theory.   

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

DT

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 06:09:15 PM »

Re. that often quoted £600,000 debt.

Someone will no doubt correct me if I've got this wrong but isn't it the case that we didn't actually pay back that amount in full?

As I recall, circa £370,000 of that figure of £600,000 comprised what Gerry Berman was claiming back as a Director's loan.

As repayment of the sum claimed by former Chairman Berman was conditional on the club relocating to a new stadium (and since this prospect was subsequently eliminated), wasn't that particular debt effectively written off?

Mister Heslop will no doubt be able to confirm or deny my aforementioned theory.   

I also recollect that it would certainly have contained a number of director's loans. I for one wrote mine off to the club, a gesture which was appreciated at the time in writing by Mr Goodwin.

I think that these sums (Director's loans) are also reported in the annual accounts issued by the club to shareholders.

Yes I agree, over to you Mr Heslop!

RocketDan

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 06:15:55 PM »

according to football manager our wage budget is 6.8k per week and our transfer budget is 10k per season.

football manager is a factual source based on the truth.

dopamine

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 07:05:06 PM »

according to football manager our wage budget is 6.8k per week and our transfer budget is 10k per season.

football manager is a factual source based on the truth.

10k transfer budget... I'm sure i set it as 1 in the DB (set it at 0 and it randomly generates it)  ???

As for player salaries, that's based on the figures which were already set for players when i became researcher a couple of years ago, with new players slotted in with salaries which seem about right compared to these (ie. they're proper guestimates  ;D).

Wilmslow Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 09:26:18 PM »

Wasn't part of the debt also settled with the sale of the lease on the carpark rather than from regular income?
Acton_Alty has now moved to Chiswick...Wilmslow!
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team