News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Tonight

Author Topic: Tonight  (Read 2501 times)

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Tonight
« on: January 19, 2010, 11:56:46 PM »

I think all there would agree the ref had a shocker, deffo sending off for Seb Brown for the assualt on Senior, plus nothing done for the rugby tackle on him later. We gave AFCW too much space for a little while leading to the first two goals, no one would tackle for the second.

Second half, after we went two down we ran at them and scared the crap out of them too, we need to keep on with that and believe.

3-1 flattered them, we deserved better and who knows if they'd gone to 10 men as it should what would happen.

1400 gate! Yet again Wimbledon cheat on the split in a cup game, easily 1800+. Ask St Albans fans.

AND...for the doubters, yes I cheated and got the train there as time was tight, but I promise I walked home, 35 mins, not bad.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Tonight
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 12:25:17 AM »

A frustrating game tonight, in many ways we played better than at Ebbsfleet against a team who were clearly a class above many of the sides we have played down south this season.

The first two goals as SW says, we weren't quite tight enough and didn't close down as we should have, saying that they were both finished well. The key though was the failure (and failure is the word as all the Dons fans around us agreed) to send off their keeper for completely taking out Senior well outside his box when no-where near getting the ball. When us London lot who stayed later in the bar post match heckled the keeper when he came in for a drink he just laughed sheepishly and said 'it was the ref'. Basically you reduce them to 10 men with the keeper off and the score 1-0 then it's a totally different game, them's the breaks though. After Danalyk pulled one back with a cracking low shot from the edge of the box they were really bricking it but we understandably went a bit gung ho with both Little and Clee coming on and the third killed us off.

In conclusion tonight there is no doubt that we came up against one of the very best Non League teams in the country and went toe to toe, whoever knocks Wimbledon out will have a bloody good chance of winning the FAT in my book. We can be very proud of the lads in the last 4 days travelling hundreds of miles for the colours and giving their all, onto Hayes now and lets get the home form back on.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 12:42:33 AM »

Top post SLA, spot on.

They are a good team and will give anyone a run. I think generally the management team had done their homework as we did close them down for much of the game, although once you concede its hard to maintain the game plan.

They were a little cynical and so on but to me that was as much due to the weakness of the ref as anyone. I spoke to a Dons fan I know well just before the end and his view of tonights ref was very similar to most of ours.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

taxi Phil

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 12:58:29 AM »

We've definitely got a chance of revenge in the League game - and who knows, possibly in the play offs !

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 11:17:38 AM »

Once again, SLA has got in before me and pretty much said it all. But for a couple of lapses from us defensively and one massive lapse of courage (or perhaps I should say basic competence) from the referee, it could have been a different story. But the result wasn't exactly unfair.

A few other thoughts: it was unfortunate that McAliskey couldn't play because Denham had a quiet game, mainly because he was playing through the middle instead of wide right and I don't think he's as effective there. Senior was terrific again and has earned first-choice status among our strikers now. And Clee made a great impact from the bench. Cracking goal too - a real peach of a strike from Danylyk.

Overall, I thought it was a performance we could be proud of and I hope the players put it out of their minds quickly and focus now on finishing as high up the table as possible. Saturday is a good chance to get the home form going.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 12:00:33 PM »

Hear hear to all the above.

We showed great courage, application and verve in the second half.  When we went 2-0 down I rang my brother and basically told him it was all over - he was bombarded with texts over the next 25 minutes correcting this error of mine.

Even at 3-1 our heads didn't drop.

At one point in the first half I texted him to say that it seemed like they had more players than us - only to realise that Greg was off the pitch having his head stiched back on.  We shouldn't underestimate how much moving him to full back weakened us in the centre of the pitch.  Their first two goals did seem to consist of players walking through us at the edge of the box.

I think we can learn this lesson - we don't neccessarily have to be as defensively minded as we have been in recent seasons - we are much better equipped to take the game to the opposition and our defence is stronger.  Additionally, I do believe we will have to create a number of chances to be confident of converting them.

Depsite the result I really enjoyed our performance last night - I certainly think the team can be proud of themselves.

On to the Hayes game - it will depend whether the team that lost 5-0 to Wimbledon turns up or the one that won 1-0.  A Dons fan last nigh told me that if AFCW had not scored a couple of early goals in the 5-0 game, it could have had a different end result - H&Y outplayed them for long periods of the game apparently.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Tonight