PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Christmas period games - ko times
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Christmas period games - ko times  (Read 4099 times)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: January 01, 2010, 01:43:05 PM »

Just looking ahead to next seasons bumper festive fixtures versus Stockport and Wrexham and the problems we've had this year (and last).

Clearly we struggle somewhat with the weather, pitch covers etc are not viable financially in our current predicament I presume so I was wondering is there any way we could give ourselves a better chance of these games going ahead.

It might only be a marginal difference but do the conference have any hard and fast rules on kick off times? i.e. could we look to play our home Boxing Day/New Year's Day games at 5.15pm to give the pitch a bit more of a chance to thaw out? How do you think attendances would hold up with this?

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas period games - ko times
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 01:45:01 PM »

Just looking ahead to next seasons bumper festive fixtures versus Stockport and Wrexham and the problems we've had this year (and last).

Clearly we struggle somewhat with the weather, pitch covers etc are not viable financially in our current predicament I presume so I was wondering is there any way we could give ourselves a better chance of these games going ahead.

It might only be a marginal difference but do the conference have any hard and fast rules on kick off times? i.e. could we look to play our home Boxing Day/New Year's Day games at 5.15pm to give the pitch a bit more of a chance to thaw out? How do you think attendances would hold up with this?

The only trouble with that idea is possibly that it would start to freeze again by then ..

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 01:49:31 PM »

This picture was taken at 12pm an hour and a half after the pitch inspection and there was no change.
Wrexham also advised the club if it was at there ground today it would also have been off.

@AltyDaz

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 01:52:13 PM »

stockport will either be in league 2 or unibond

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 05:38:35 PM »

Darren, i wasn't referring to today's game in particular but i just wonder how much refs err on caution side these days. With 5.15 kick offs we could leave the inspections til much later especially for local games.

casper

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 06:14:54 PM »

The weather has been ultimately colder than normal. However, i think the supporters could offer more to help out. Perhaps bringing this up at the next TASC meeting - with specific funding for pitch covers or other way of negating the effects of weather.

Maybe even sponsorship for 1 metre squared could cover the cost.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 06:29:01 PM »

As a point of interest, how much would the correct covers cost?
Would a company be able to provide/lend/sponsor these?
Could Man U buy these?

markecky

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 06:42:38 PM »

Covers would not have saved a pitch from -6 though.

Its not just buying the covers, its getting them on and off as well.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 06:49:12 PM »

Frost covers are a minimum of around £2m2. Altys pitch is around 8000m2. Therefore £15-25k for a decent system with motors and trench storage. None say to which degree they will work. Expensive  :-[

Dougals Dad

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »

Not really a goer is it?

radcliffe alty

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 08:08:38 PM »

I think the only sensible option is a 1988 Luton style plastic pitch. Should improve our home form as well as no other team will be able to play on it.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 08:17:18 PM »

I think the only sensible option is a 1988 Luton style plastic pitch. Should improve our home form as well as no other team will be able to play on it.

If BTH can get one.....

casper

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 08:41:40 PM »

Yep, covering the pitch will be expensive. But how many games would it save being postponed. What is the expected reduction of support for the re-arranged games?? times that by the life of the covers would easily be more profitable for their use.

I agree that the cost is expensive, but should be looked at in other ways. Perhaps man u could pay part of it, it may be a non-starter, but at least needs a good examination of the possibilities.

Take for example our two big home games, York for example have just played stoke in a more expensive FA cup clash, and less support is expected to travel on Tuesday. Added to over-spending at Christmas, then we are looking at 5-600 less. Add this to Wrexham, who again may bring significantly less for a midweek game. Then overall we could be looking at 9-1000 less people coming through the turnstiles. A guessitmate would put the loss of revenue approaching 9-10,000.  This is just two games in one season. Obviously some games will succumb to the pitfalls of bad weather even if precautions are taken. However in this day and age, we need to maximise all our revenues at all times. Even if this means investing in protecting our main asset, the hallowed turf of moss lane.

As for later kick offs, the problem there is that the pitch would start to freeze during the game. a 5.15 match would not finish till gone 8, with the temperature slowly freezing the pitch.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 12:42:12 PM by casper »

York Alty

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 11:55:47 PM »

you also have to think about the away fans (and Alty not living local).  normally not too far to travel over crimbo but still an issue.

earlier in this thread there was a rough quote of £15-20k fora pitch cover system, which will NOT guarantee a game is on.  Unless we can get one second hand / free! I reckon that's a dead duck for the foreseeable future.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 05:45:18 AM »

If the cost is in the region of £25K I dont see why it should not be suggested to Man U that they sponsor it as that type of money is peanuts to them.
As Moss Lane is United's home ground for reserve matches this would be a justified expense.

If my memory is correct, the last time we had an extened League break for such a long period in a season due to postponements we fell from 10th position to getting relegated?
Rearranged fixtures in the conference have a bigger detremental effect on the part-time teams.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team