Alty & United
- 15 (23.4%)
Alty & City
- 7 (10.9%)
Alty & other
- 9 (14.1%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: do you support Alty and another team?  (Read 11165 times)

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: do you support Alty and another team?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 11:18:11 PM »

True.

The average United fan I know back home cannot stand the southern based reds. The ridiculously pompous United justification of 'It's not where your from, it's where your at' is just rubbish. You either have family/emotional ties to a club or come from that area, there are no other possible justifications for supporting a football club in my book. Despite the tired NLL jibes you get on Confguide it is a fact that if you grew up in Altrincham most of your family will have been born into tradition as a blue or a red so supporting either of them (in addition to us) is frankly no big thing in my book. I go City about 6-8 times a season but my first loyalty lies always with Alty.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 11:25:29 PM »

Its the one that hurts when they loose, thats your team.

I think that sums it up exactly - and its Alty.

Jennifers Mum says I am grumpy for the rest of the weekend if we lose on Saturday. I maintain I'm grumpy all the time!

Jacko

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 01:23:34 AM »

Alty then real madrid for me, love both grounds and atmosphere

tottenham alty

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2009, 01:32:28 AM »

I go City about 6-8 times a season but my first loyalty lies always with Alty.

So did you put yourself down as Alty & City? I would say going 6-8 times a year prob qualifies you as a supporter - I only manage to get to Alty games about that much.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2009, 08:46:19 AM »

I was an avid United fan as well as Alty in the 60's and 70's, and it was in the early 70's that Alty took preference.
I dont see the problem with supporters of non league football also supporting a team in the Premiership/FL. I certainly would not go to a United game instead of Alty. Although I live in the South East, I have brainwashed my kids into supporting Alty.
Internationally its the Republic of Ireland - and whichever team is playing England.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 09:00:26 AM »

I have always been an Alty fan since I first started going (about 1960) with my old fella.
I use to go to watch Man U in the 60s but only if Alty were not at home.
I was Alty's first mascot in about 62/63 ish... Big John Higgins was the captain .. Tommy Banks, Bobby English and Ray Perry were just a few of the players then... (my first game was Skelmersdale away on a freezing day..
Unfortunately I didnt get to see Alty so much in the 70's 80's as I spent 24 years in the Army, but I always use to look for their result and went to see them whenever I was on leave.

Took my misses to see them a few years ago (she used to hate football) and now she goes to all the home games whenever possible.

taxi Phil

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 09:03:45 AM »

My Dad took me to Moss Lane at Christmas 1953 and I saw us ship five to Northwich Vics. It didn't put me off, and I saw a good few games over the next five years or so.

However, Easter 1956 saw me impulsively jump on the train and head for Old Trafford, where I saw the Busby Babes demolish Newcastle 5-2. I was totally hooked on the atmosphere. My parents were less enthsiastic, but agreed that I could go to games with my Uncle, which I did until that fateful day in 1958. The crowds and the passion were too much for my folks to take in, and I was redirected to Moss Lane (I'd taken in a few games anyway) and also had a brief flirtation with County - we lived on the 71 bus route.

The bottom line - I was, and still am, a football junkie ! I've watched Linotype, Old Alts (played the odd game in the lower level teams), City, and when I was exiled to the wilds of the West Midlands in 1970 I tried six or seven clubs before settling for three very enjoyable years with Aston Villa ! I'll watch ANYBODY - if I'm in the park and there's a kickabout I automatically stop and watch for a while (our late lamented labrador used to want to join in, and I would have to move on).

To me, it is, and will always be the beautiful game - but those who remember my vow to blank the forthcoming World Cup will realise that I hate the sprawling commercial monster that it has become.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 09:15:09 AM by taxi Phil »

taxi Phil

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2009, 09:12:21 AM »

To continue, Alty are still what football should be. That's why they remain my first love, and it's why I get thoroughly hacked off when "professionalism" rears its ugly head at our level. And where we are right now IS our level ! So for me it's United on the box - accompanied by a lot of whingeing at the antics of some of the overpaid Jessies that taint the game - but Alty for the rush of proper football in the raw.

Incidentally, if we WERE to somehow make it into the League, I'd be delighted - but with reservations !

Lew Needham

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2009, 09:42:19 AM »

100% Alty!

Similar to Ecky used to support United (well as much as the majority of their so called fans) at primary school but then went to a few Alty games when Kingy came back and never looked back.

Now I don't care for any other clubs!

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2009, 10:55:07 AM »

My Dad took me to Moss Lane at Christmas 1953 and I saw us ship five to Northwich Vics. It didn't put me off, and I saw a good few games over the next five years or so.

However, Easter 1956 saw me impulsively jump on the train and head for Old Trafford, where I saw the Busby Babes demolish Newcastle 5-2. I was totally hooked on the atmosphere. My parents were less enthsiastic, but agreed that I could go to games with my Uncle, which I did until that fateful day in 1958. The crowds and the passion were too much for my folks to take in, and I was redirected to Moss Lane (I'd taken in a few games anyway) and also had a brief flirtation with County - we lived on the 71 bus route.

The bottom line - I was, and still am, a football junkie ! I've watched Linotype, Old Alts (played the odd game in the lower level teams), City, and when I was exiled to the wilds of the West Midlands in 1970 I tried six or seven clubs before settling for three very enjoyable years with Aston Villa ! I'll watch ANYBODY - if I'm in the park and there's a kickabout I automatically stop and watch for a while (our late lamented labrador used to want to join in, and I would have to move on).

To me, it is, and will always be the beautiful game - but those who remember my vow to blank the forthcoming World Cup will realise that I hate the sprawling commercial monster that it has become.

I agree with that sentiment 100% Phil..

Stockportalty

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2009, 11:48:07 AM »

Before I started coming to watch Alty, which was when hubby and I started going out together, I was a Sunderland fan, because of my family links with that part of the country, my Uncle took me to see them a few times. Then as a family we always watch how Bridport are getting on, they play in the Toolstation League Division 1, which is just about North West Counties league level I think. Alty always come first though!

Come on you Reds![/color][/font]

vic

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2009, 12:59:27 PM »

Alty then Vics for me.

thegazelle

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2009, 01:05:31 PM »

Alty and only alty and neve been anything else since i was old enough to think for myself (some might say that stage bhas not been reached yet).

I do have to admit to a second team though they are m,y beloved Cape Coast Mysterious Dwarves

tottenham alty

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2009, 07:58:58 PM »

how can you love football and blank the World Cup? Its the highest level of the game. Its a valiant stand but not sure FIFA will take much notice!!

I enjoyed Euro 2008 more than any tournament since Euro 96. standard of football waxs fantastic, and all the better that England were'nt playing as it a avoided the brainless media bandwagon

Longman

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2009, 08:41:51 PM »

how can you love football and blank the World Cup? Its the highest level of the game. Its a valiant stand but not sure FIFA will take much notice!!

I enjoyed Euro 2008 more than any tournament since Euro 96. standard of football waxs fantastic, and all the better that England were'nt playing as it a avoided the brainless media bandwagon

I assume you won't be watching or supporting England in next years World Cup then?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 do you support Alty and another team?