PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Joe Paladino joins FC United...
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Joe Paladino joins FC United...  (Read 5303 times)

York Alty

Re: Joe Paladino joins FC United...
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 02:41:24 PM »

Joe was ace, but for Alty FC he wasn't a legend.  Certainly a short lived but brightly burning star.  He wasn't around long enough to earn 'legend' status. 

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 02:58:07 PM »

I liked Joe very much - especially the knocking knees thing with Graham Barrow vs Chester but, good as he was, he wouldn't even make my top 5 Alty keepers
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 06:14:06 PM »

I have very clear memories of Joe Paladino trying to up the noise level at Chester after we had equalised as he was directly in front of the away fans. We did not dare make less noise, but I think it helped the lads on the pitch quite a bit. He was virtually conducting us - I remember feeling slightly intimidated by him but it seemed to work.

I have often wondered how much of an effect noise from us actually feels to the players, and if it gives them that extra boost. Not ever being a player I do not know, but would love to know how it feels to score a goal in front of 60000 or so fans. The adrenaline boost must be mega.

On the subject of Joe, I do remember the lad who got punched coming up to one or two of us to complain during the Chester game which I helped steward. To be honest I was trying my hardest not to laugh as I saw his lips mashed against his teeth. Joe caught him a goodun there I thought to myself; what are you, suicidal!!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 06:25:46 PM »

I liked Joe very much - especially the knocking knees thing with Graham Barrow vs Chester but, good as he was, he wouldn't even make my top 5 Alty keepers

The great Peter Eales performed that manoeuvre with far more style though, Saughall...!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 08:19:15 PM »

The great Peter Eales performed that manoeuvre with far more style though, Saughall...!

Yes, True Cult - and Goodison Park springs to mind particularly - but he didn't do the "pinning down the angry opposition player without really hurting him yet nevertheless making him look a proper tw*t" precursor to it!  ;)

I must admit though, Peter Eales would have been in my top five easily.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

bigcol

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2009, 09:14:41 PM »

To those of us under the age of 40 and can't remember the glory years, that night vs Chester, Joe and Clive will live long.

Redmeister

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 09:50:22 PM »

I got his gloves after the game when he returned to Moss Lane playing for Witton Albion. I think he said he quit alty to take up boxing but a few months later was at Witton. I remember him taking the piss doing some boxing punches in the penalty area.

Top keeper!That save was quality v Chester City

York Alty

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2009, 07:12:15 PM »

I hope Joe remembers his time at Alty fondly, as given some of the comments on here he was clearly highly thought of.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Joe Paladino joins FC United...