News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 BARROW'S CUP RUN

Author Topic: BARROW'S CUP RUN  (Read 2120 times)

taxi Phil

BARROW'S CUP RUN
« on: December 09, 2009, 08:22:09 AM »

I'm delighted for Barrow, who've earned a trip to Sunderland last night. Not many of us, including me, would have fancied them to see off Oxford. It's not so long ago they were down and practically out, but after Middlesbrough last year, and the Stadium of Light to come, let's hope they're on a sound financial footing for years to come.

They played some nice football at Moss Lane last week too. Well done Bluebirds !

Let's also use them as an example of what can be achieved by a Cup run. They'll take as many as 3000 to Wearside. OK, so two thirds of them won't stick around to watch the likes of Histon turn up at Holker Street the next time out, but the atmosphere in the town will be buzzing, and there's BIG money coming in.

Let's hope Alty can do it next time. Onwards and upwards !

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: BARROW'S CUP RUN
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 08:39:08 AM »

yeah well done to Barrow. They will be used to travelling to the North East after Boro last year and now Sunderland.

I shouldnt think Oxford will be that bothered as they have bigger fish to fry ie getting back into the FL.

markecky

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 09:48:29 AM »

I'd put money on them taking 8,000 to Sunderland Phil, I think they took seven to Middlesboro if I recall correctly..

Dougals Dad

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 10:13:39 AM »

I'd put money on them taking 8,000 to Sunderland Phil, I think they took seven to Middlesboro if I recall correctly..

That's an increase of 7993!

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 10:57:29 AM »

Despite some weirdness with Barrow in the past it's actually a club I've got a lot of time for and I'm pleased for them. I'd much rather they got through and did well than Kettering!

I think they'll really push on over the next couple of years and be a force in this league.
Come on Alty!

fuertes

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 11:17:16 AM »

Despite some weirdness with Barrow in the past it's actually a club I've got a lot of time for and I'm pleased for them. I'd much rather they got through and did well than Kettering!

I think they'll really push on over the next couple of years and be a force in this league.

This.

Whilst I hate the term, they do have a big 'catchment area' and so can bring out big numbers on special occasions. If they do look like pushing for the playoffs at any time in the next few years their crowds will get quite big.

They'll emulate their following from last year when you go to Sunderland, probably an overall crowd of about 30,000. Decent payout there...

Jezza

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 01:31:10 PM »

yep, pleased for Barrow all the best at sunderland!

Chester fans please note there is life after SV

Jenga

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 02:35:41 PM »

Had to laugh at that.

taxi Phil

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 04:27:29 PM »

I'm glad I'm not the only pedant on this site !

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 05:35:02 PM »

I'm glad I'm not the only pedant on this site !

There's plenty of us peasants on here too  :D (part time of course)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 BARROW'S CUP RUN