PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Fullest you've seen the Lane?
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Fullest you've seen the Lane?  (Read 7344 times)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Fullest you've seen the Lane?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 07:10:13 PM »

I was also at the games against Barrow, Sheff United and Orient (as well as both away games against the latter two).
Was the Wigan game an evening match which was important in deciding the CL title, we lost 1-0 in the days the Golf Road End was uncovered?

Hi Redhill.
I'll answer to the best of my knowledge although I only started going in 1965 when I was 15 (as it cost a lot of money to get from Harpurhey to Alty on buses and trains!).
Here goes:

The Wigan 2-4 game was in the FA Cup played on a saturday (15 October 1966) and we were well and truly spanked. By the way, according to the programme (price 6d) the Red Robin Club was bouncing to the 'King of the Golden Trumpet' Eddie Calvert the previous friday and saturday. On sunday the star appearing there was Ted Lune from the Army Game series on TV! (I was too young to get in though!)

We were also beaten by Wigan AWAY on 17 September 1966 in the Cheshire League Challenge Cup and that score was 0-1 but that was a saturday too.

Our home league game with Wigan that season was Saturday 1st April 1967 and we won 2-1. Going into that game we were 4 points in front of Wigan with a game in hand and seven games to play so even had we lost we would have been favourites. After that game though we were 6 points clear of wigan who had 5 games left. Don't forget it was only 2 points for a win in those days!

If I recall correctly, we actually won the league with our 8-1 win against Rhyl on 10 April 1967.

The league games versus Wigan in 1965-6 were both draws so it couldn't have been them either (2-2 at home and 1-1 away) so the game must have been 1964-5 or earlier!

Conclusion? either you're mistaken or even older than me!  ;)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 07:23:39 PM by Saughall Robin »
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

mr f.trucker

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 07:13:52 PM »

I used to love the days of swapping ends,good banter if sometimes a little violent.

Night matches at Moss lane with a good crowd,my favourite Alty moments .

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 07:33:35 PM »

I recall a segregated league game against Vics where we put them in the Golf Rd corner of the popular side too. Did we not have a pair of new turnstiles in that corner about then?

It had the problem that fans who routinely entered at the Chequers End could then not make their way round to The Golf Rd.

first segregated game i rememember was one against vics, so probably the same one, where they came in by the turnstile as the bottom off golf road and occupied that end of the pop side. fullest i recall would have to be the orient game, but wasn't the blackburn game one the afternoon during the three day week (i am over21) pretty full too?

thegazelle

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 07:56:06 PM »

dont recall the sC**thorpe game being segregated

i was def in the golf road and can still picture kingy getting kneed in the bowlarks. the crowd went mad about the knee to the groin but most of did not realise the ref had given a penalty. I seam to recall there was just a thin line of policeman between us and the sC**thorpe fans (or was that the first game against them) there was loads of abuse about their steelworks closing down and the first appearance of "there's only one united" to which we wittily replied and "thats a chocolate biscuit "

I know i am repeating myself here but you only have to look at a crowd of 1300 at Moss lane today to realise how much we lied about attendances in those days .

Another big crowd was trophy quaters against winsford in 78 (4,000 +) and a trophy replay against matlock which was quoted as 2,500 but musty have been 5

The gold road was a fantastic place to be for a big night match and how loud was the golf road roar . In those days there was different groups of singers there was so many off us

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 08:23:58 PM »

Some more info on games quoted above:

We lost 1-0 at home to Wigan in 1964-65 (towards end of season)

Winsford trophy crowd was 4086 I think (although I don't have the "official" figure) - we only got 3793 for Runcorn in the semi.  There were also 3700 at Canal Street for the second leg: a bit packed!

The Weymouth replay the previous year was a big crowd too - but I dont know how big!

Gazelle - you may be right about SC**thorpe being unsegregated but for some reason I was stood on the Chequers end - where I never stand - and had a 100 yards away view of the Joe Neenan / John King incident: luckily I could see that far in those days!  But I do remember Sheff Utd being a greater emotional high than SC**thorpre

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2009, 09:02:17 PM »

SC**thorpe was unsegregated, I remember queueing up outside The Golf Rd and a panicky copper radioing that a couple of coaches of Scunny fans were pulling up. We stood on the same GR terrace and The Gazelle's recollections are spot on. How the Joe Neenan incident didn't result in trouble though I don't know. Liverpool away was a big prize.

Some of the games we never segregated amaze me now, Notts County, Hartlepool, Scarborough in the Trophy, perhaps the world was a quieter more naive place then, but was there some trouble! Usually a couple of coppers tops and no stewards back then.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

taxi Phil

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2009, 10:18:24 PM »

Another big crowd was trophy quaters against winsford in 78 (4,000 +) and a trophy replay against matlock which was quoted as 2,500 but musty have been 5

The gold road was a fantastic place to be for a big night match and how loud was the golf road roar . In those days there was different groups of singers there was so many off us

The Matlock game - 4-0 I think - I remember for possibly the best tannoy announcement I ever heard at Moss Lane. Reading the Matlock team, the announcer produced this gem :

"Number 4 Lukasic - and let's hope he does at the end of the game !"

Aussie Bob

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 04:12:09 AM »

the Orient game was the biggest crowd i was in at Moss Lane it was jammed solid . The Scarborough trophy semi in 77/78 (i think) was also a big crowd with that edge to it ..non segregated and a sense that something would kick off at any time.

thegazelle

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2009, 10:55:44 AM »

i had a sense that it had kicked off and was likely to again at any moment!!!!!!!!

they stole my Banner and burned it

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2009, 02:47:42 PM »

A friendly in the 60s or early 70s something like a showbiz 11 against  someone else,heard 13000 in the ground it was packed and we had to sit on the grass between the touchline and the hoardings.
Orient was a good crowd in Moss lane
Harold

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2009, 03:06:30 PM »

Some official attendances from 1970s cup matches at Moss Lane:

24th November 1973 - Hartlepool (FA Cup): 2,923.

19th December 1973 - Blackburn Rovers (FA Cup replay - midweek afternoon kick-off): 5,000.

25th November 1974 - SC**thorpe United (FA Cup replay): 4,176.

14th December 1974 - Gateshead United (FA Cup): 3,200.

21st March 1977 - Weymouth (FA Trophy replay): 2,450.

16th April 1977 - Scarborough (FA Trophy): 2,795.

1st April 1978 - Runcorn (FA Trophy): 3,793.   
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Number23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2009, 05:49:02 PM »

24th November 1973 - Hartlepool (FA Cup): 2,923.

19th December 1973 - Blackburn Rovers (FA Cup replay - midweek afternoon kick-off): 5,000.

I was at both of these.
Seem to remember there was trouble at the first one and thought that it was down to a load of Newcastle fans who came down as they didn't have a game.

Blackburn game was during the 3-day week as I recall  - would explain the afternoon kick-off (no floodlights allowed) and why people were able to go. We went straight from school in our uniforms. As I recall it was so packed that people had to stand in front of the barriers next to the touchline (but that could just be my memory 'sexing up' the story).
I do remember Gerry Casey putting it about..... Six Foot Two, Eyes Of Blue, Gerry Casey's after you ......

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2009, 06:14:02 PM »

I've posted this before but that Hartlepool game there was a bit of trouble. I sat with my dad in the stand and a Hartlepool fan was chased around the old cinder track by the police. As he approached the main stand he was loudly jeered, and he produced some rock/stone from somewhere which he hurled towards the stand. Fortunately it hit the reinforced glass end wall of the stand forming a small hole, which remained for years. Thankfully it did as if that stone had struck a supporter the outcome would have been very serious indeed.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2009, 06:14:57 PM »

I was at both those games against SC**thorpe and also at the away game in 1974.
I dont think that many people realise that Joe Neenan was a local lad from Partington and went to BTH with me.
He joined Man United straight from school, and at the time he played against us Chelsea were chasing hm.
I was also told that while he was at York City he was called up for the Republic of Ireland squad, but never actually played for them - this would be at the time when Seamus McDonagh was the Irish keeper.
These days he would be sent off for that offence. There again Kingy wouldnt get away with his antics nowadays.
SC**thorpe didnt bring any fans for the replay in 1974, and I think the interest in 1979 was only due to the carrot of playing Liverpool if they won.

tottenham alty

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2009, 06:28:46 PM »

Why are people referring to SC**thorpe? I wouldn't think we hate them enough to warrant the **? Is there any history behind this??
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Fullest you've seen the Lane?