PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Fullest you've seen the Lane?
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fullest you've seen the Lane?  (Read 7345 times)

tottenham alty

« on: October 27, 2009, 01:03:18 PM »

I am intrigued with what Moss Lane would actually look like when packed to the rafters with 6,000 inside... have we got close to this in recent years?

It seems hard to believe we have a 6,000 capacity as when we have 1,500+ in there it always feels pretty full.

And what is the fullest that older supporters have seen it? I just cant imagine 10,000 fitting in - according to wikipedia our record is 10,275 in 1925....

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Fullest you've seen the Lane?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 01:04:36 PM »

Probably the FA Cup games against Wigan, Crewe and Darlington for me.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 01:06:51 PM »

Barnet in 1991 was the busiest I've seen it. I believe there were (unofficially) around 4-5,000 in the ground that day.

I think it would be a very tight squeeze indeed with 6,000 in the ground these days. In the old days there was the paddock area in front of the main stand where people could stand and the area where the sponsors lounge and offices are now situated was also standing room.
Come on Alty!

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 02:26:53 PM »

7,800 ish against Orient in the cup, and a big crowd for a home friendly v City in about 1975....I'm guessing.....not sure how many were there.
Several 5,000 plus cup gates, Crewe, Sheff Utd, SC**thorpe I think, pre Liverpool.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 02:44:53 PM »

7,800 ish against Orient in the cup

In that game didn't we put the away fans on the pop side instead of the Chequers end for some reason? Or did I make that up?
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

Narcissist

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 03:19:23 PM »

I remember about 3000 v Wigan and wondering where exactly the other 3000 would have been put.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 04:01:12 PM »

In that game didn't we put the away fans on the pop side instead of the Chequers end for some reason? Or did I make that up?

MadFrankie,

No, you are not hallucinating.

The Orient supporters were indeed housed on the Popular Side that afternoon.

I stood on the Chequers End, where both Barry Whitbread and Billy Jennings scored their respective goals, and the ground seemed absolutely heaving.

I have a note that the official attendance that day was 7,844.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 04:18:21 PM »

I recall a segregated league game against Vics where we put them in the Golf Rd corner of the popular side too. Did we not have a pair of new turnstiles in that corner about then?

It had the problem that fans who routinely entered at the Chequers End could then not make their way round to The Golf Rd.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Jenga

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 04:24:17 PM »

Orient, I was stood in the area where the family stand now is.

I remember buying a cup of OXO from the snack bar lady who was quite old, with grey hair and large wart on her nose!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 04:35:50 PM »

Orient, I was stood in the area where the family stand now is.

I remember buying a cup of OXO from the snack bar lady who was quite old, with grey hair and large wart on her nose[/b]!

That was no lady.
That was George Heslop.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

JackSwindells No 1 Fan

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 04:57:26 PM »

Aty vs Man City late 1960. 10,000 full house.

tottenham alty

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 05:00:30 PM »

MadFrankie,

No, you are not hallucinating.

The Orient supporters were indeed housed on the Popular Side that afternoon.

I stood on the Chequers End, where both Barry Whitbread and Billy Jennings scored their respective goals, and the ground seemed absolutely heaving.

I have a note that the official attendance that day was 7,844.

Cool... when was the Orient game? 1970s?

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 05:27:43 PM »

7844 against Orient - in the corner of the golf road end - had just opened turnstiles at that end of the ground and installed segregation.  I was a prgramme seller to Orient fans that day, inside that enclave.  Some bother when all flags were confiscated but tempers soon restored.

Two other big FA Cup gates:

8088 in the 4th Qualifying round in 1966-67 for a 2-4 loss to fellow Cheshire League side Wigan Athletic and 8462 the following season for a 1-2 loss to 3rd Divsion (i.e. League 1) Barrow.

More incredibly (given the profile of the competition today) Cheshire Senior Cup Final Second Leg 1966-67 Aty 3 Witton 1 (Agg 3-2) Att: 7290

For me, the best atmosphere at Moss Lane was for Alty3 Sheff Utd 0 (Att: 5137) - the Golf Road was rocking that night; much better than Alty1 SC**thorpe 0 (Att: 5176) when we were segregated to Chequers end.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 05:55:54 PM »

7844 against Orient - in the corner of the golf road end - had just opened turnstiles at that end of the ground and installed segregation.  I was a prgramme seller to Orient fans that day, inside that enclave.  Some bother when all flags were confiscated but tempers soon restored.

Two other big FA Cup gates:

8088 in the 4th Qualifying round in 1966-67 for a 2-4 loss to fellow Cheshire League side Wigan Athletic and 8462 the following season for a 1-2 loss to 3rd Divsion (i.e. League 1) Barrow.

More incredibly (given the profile of the competition today) Cheshire Senior Cup Final Second Leg 1966-67 Aty 3 Witton 1 (Agg 3-2) Att: 7290

For me, the best atmosphere at Moss Lane was for Alty3 Sheff Utd 0 (Att: 5137) - the Golf Road was rocking that night; much better than Alty1 SC**thorpe 0 (Att: 5176) when we were segregated to Chequers end.

I was present at the Wigan, Barrow, Witton and Sheffield games. Happy days!

Was stood on the grass bank at the side of the main stand (where the mausoleum is now) for the Sheffield match and was directly behind Barry Howards dribble and shot as we attacked the Red Robin Club end. The ball seemed to be going wide right when he hit it but swerved left to sneak in the corner. Fantastic. I think the crowd around us there who shared the view willed it to swerve enough  :)

The Witton Game brings back particular memories for me. Load of kids sat on top of the Red Robin Club roof and people climbing the floodlight pylons to get a better view in the crush (no segregation though! - half time when we changed ends got rather congested to say the least but not a hint of trouble). Witton had a pretty good team in those days managed by player manager 'strolling' Ken Barnes (ex City). Their blond Keeper (Mellor, I think) went on to play a lot of games for Fulham. They also had a future Irish international centre half Chris Nicholl (I think) who played at top level afterwards.

We'd already sewn the league up and this match (which we won 3-1 after losing the first leg 0-1 at the Central Ground) gave us (as we saw it at the time) the League and Cup 'double'! The Cheshire Senior Cup was a big thing in those days. (Note: It is today too when you win it!)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 06:17:23 PM by Saughall Robin »
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 06:46:44 PM »

I was also at the games against Barrow, Sheff United and Orient (as well as both away games against the latter two).
Was the Wigan game an evening match which was important in deciding the CL title, we lost 1-0 in the days the Golf Road End was uncovered?
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team