PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 James Smith to be investigated ?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: James Smith to be investigated ?  (Read 35856 times)

SuperStags

Re: James Smith to be investigated ?
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2009, 06:17:42 PM »

Doesn't matter how many times you watch it - he T**tted him, end of. And once again I will say, there aren't many of our players moaning about it as they are all running back to the half way line with their backs to the incident and therefore didn't see it.
I STILL can't believe that ANYONE is still saying it never happened - is it just because it's Mansfield? As we know most of you don't like us now but that's irrelevant - he T**tted him and if any of you would have been sat where I was sat then you would have seen it as plain as day.
I agree our Chairman will look back on his comments in the match day programme and learn from it - I agree we are a physical team at times - I agree that our scoreboard is a bit sh*tty but please don't tell me that Smith didn't T**t Speight.
He deserves a 3 match ban for it as would ANY player - If a Stags player had done it I would still be saying the same.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2009, 06:34:08 PM »

Have to say that I'd be more than astounded if the FA even contemplated bringing a case based on UTube footage so there must somewhere have been a proper copy. All games at Conference Level and above have to be videoed. Both teams, The Referee and his assessor should get copies either on the day or shortly after.

This is quite telling "If you had read the article in the opening post you would have realized that it was the referees assessor (from the FA) who said it should be sent into the FA to look at after he was shown it after the game"

I understand our frustration but there have, this season alone been some very high profile players suspended after footage (edited by the way as MOTD don't show the whole match) has been seen - Adebayor and Huth spring immediately to mind. No amount of mud slinging and slagging off another Club and its fans is gonna make this go away even if it does give us some pleasure to do so.

You're missing the point somewhat Phil.Adebayor and Huth were shown the film and were allowed to represent themselves in person. If the FA aren't going to do it properly then they should forget it entirely.

SuperStags

« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2009, 09:14:52 PM »

Ballers - for what it's worth I totally agree with you - he should have the right to represent himself - can't have one rule for one and one rule for another.

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2009, 09:54:47 PM »

I  think this sets a very dangerous precedent and leaves a very bad taste in the mouth.
Obviously as an Alty fan I am angry with the decision, but surely any football fan would be troubled by this verdict given after a video clip of dubious quality.

On a more personal note, I hope Mansfields chairman and his cronies burn in hell for all eternity.

SuperStags

« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2009, 10:12:55 PM »

Don't blame us - Smithy's fault  - shouldn't have done it then should he? If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. I have no sympathy for ANY player who gets punished for doing what he did - it was just as bad as Huth the other weekend. Both a pair of gutless knobs

taxi Phil

« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2009, 10:20:12 PM »

Don't blame us - Smithy's fault  - shouldn't have done it then should he? If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. I have no sympathy for ANY player who gets punished for doing what he did - it was just as bad as Huth the other weekend. Both a pair of gutless knobs

Huth came from behind his man, and punched him in a way that could have fractured his cheekbone. On a scale from one to ten I'd rate it a nine.

The Smith/Speight incident is more like handbags and rates a three. To compare the two incidents in this way is ludicrous !

Altygirlsroleinmoss

« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2009, 10:25:36 PM »

A little strong SuperStag, but I have to agree with you on the time & crime line! I can't see how any fans who ever you support can say Smithy doesn't deserve everything that is coming to him, for his idiotic second of shame! He not only put shame on himself but tarnished our club especially after the other two red cards weeks before.

There is no place for a thug in today’s game fact! Or even on the street children watch football they follow the acts of people they admire who they put on a pedestal every week they come to the lane & cheer on the boys

Do we want this type of thug in our team or any team? If he had done the same act in the street and got caught on CCTV he would have been in court probably doing a community service order or time at the pleasure of her majesty..

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2009, 10:39:37 PM »

Have to say that I'd be more than astounded if the FA even contemplated bringing a case based on UTube footage so there must somewhere have been a proper copy. All games at Conference Level and above have to be videoed. Both teams, The Referee and his assessor should get copies either on the day or shortly after.

This is quite telling "If you had read the article in the opening post you would have realized that it was the referees assessor (from the FA) who said it should be sent into the FA to look at after he was shown it after the game"

I understand our frustration but there have, this season alone been some very high profile players suspended after footage (edited by the way as MOTD don't show the whole match) has been seen - Adebayor and Huth spring immediately to mind. No amount of mud slinging and slagging off another Club and its fans is gonna make this go away even if it does give us some pleasure to do so.

You're missing the point somewhat Phil.Adebayor and Huth were shown the film and were allowed to represent themselves in person. If the FA aren't going to do it properly then they should forget it entirely.

Point taken Gareth! Incidentally, assuming that the footage is (as it appears) legit, can you construct a defence for what he was alleged to have done?

bighairedmike

« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2009, 10:42:22 PM »

A little strong SuperStag, but I have to agree with you on the time & crime line! I can't see how any fans who ever you support can say Smithy doesn't deserve everything that is coming to him, for his idiotic second of shame! He not only put shame on himself but tarnished our club especially after the other two red cards weeks before.

There is no place for a thug in today’s game fact! Or even on the street children watch football they follow the acts of people they admire who they put on a pedestal every week they come to the lane & cheer on the boys

Do we want this type of thug in our team or any team? If he had done the same act in the street and got caught on CCTV he would have been in court probably doing a community service order or time at the pleasure of her majesty..

The words out of character were used by the manager of mansfield. To label him a thug is harsh. As has been mentioned there could have been severe provocation from speight all through the game. And yeas, i do want James Smith in our team. He has been quality this season, just as he was last season. To want to oust someone on a moment of madness is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2009, 10:50:31 PM »

Have to say that I'd be more than astounded if the FA even contemplated bringing a case based on UTube footage so there must somewhere have been a proper copy. All games at Conference Level and above have to be videoed. Both teams, The Referee and his assessor should get copies either on the day or shortly after.This is quite telling "If you had read the article in the opening post you would have realized that it was the referees assessor (from the FA) who said it should be sent into the FA to look at after he was shown it after the game"

Point taken Gareth! Incidentally, assuming that the footage is (as it appears) legit, can you construct a defence for what he was alleged to have done?

From my limited experience, and what I alluded to. It looks like Smithy is coming out and then the point of the attack switches to the right. Smithy then has to 'get across' his man to be in his defensive line. If Speight is being an awkward bugger and standing his ground then Smith has a right to say he has to try and get around him. It looks more like that than being stood next to him and drawing his elbow back and a straight elbow. That would be the case for the defence but it would probably fail to be honest when you see the tape, it looks pretty bad.

I'm not sure anything should be taken from footage not from the official video and I'm appalled that Smith hasn't been allowed to view the incident or represent himself in person.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2009, 12:27:24 AM »

Why can't we appeal?

seasonticket

« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2009, 11:54:49 AM »

JD Smithy cannot appeal or be represented for the simple reason that the FA belive they cannot do anything wrong and will always come up with the correct descision. So as their the outcome is certain to be correct there is no point in appeal or representation.
Unless of course anyone knows differently, as they say.

Chalkyj

« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2009, 01:18:53 PM »

In my opinion James Smith has been our stand out player this year and we will sorely him and Tom Kearney for 3 games
However Violent conduct is just that and it is dificult to argue that James Smith does not deserve a ban for the incident shown on U-Tube.
What I do fiind extremely disconcerting however - apart fom the questionabe FA regulations regarding representing yourself- is the way this incident has been communicated to the FA.
For example if a Mansfield player had also acted in a similar misguided manner in an unrelated incident in the same game - would both  incidents have been passed on to the FA or would just the James smith incident been reported. Iwould suggest that either way Mansfield would not have risked a potential suspension of their player by submitting any video footage of incidents perpetrated by their own players.. (By the way I am not suggesting this did happen - but it could have!)
Without thinking too much (as usual) The FA seem to have manufactured a situation whereby the author of the video is effectively the person who decides what will or will not be reported, and if this person is remotely connected to either of the two teams then how can this be impartial.
Whist I believe that whist incident probably deserved the suspension given unfortunately it  has given rise to a dangerous precedent  which has potentially much wider consequences in football as alluded to by GH in his comments regarding the suspension.
At the end of the day its happened and nothing changes that (and the FA rarely change their minds) - so lets hope Alty put all this behind them and get back to playing like we know they can play football managed by a hugely committed Manager who wears his heart on his sleeve and  if he was not  managing us would probably be stood amongst us on th terraces cheering the team on

UkrainianPhil

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2009, 02:11:16 PM »

The FA seem to have manufactured a situation whereby the author of the video is effectively the person who decides what will or will not be reported, and if this person is remotely connected to either of the two teams then how can this be impartial.

As someone who films matches in the same way and uploads the highlights online, let me comment on this.

For any Blue Square league match it is in the rules that full length copies of the match tape (usually a DVD) have to be provided (within 48 hours) to both clubs and to the referee's assessor. It has been known for the referee's assessor not to bother with his copy when the game has passed off without incident. It is also quite usual to receive a phone call from the club secretary asking for clarification of any specific incident in order to decide whether or not to launch and appeal - which now has to be done pretty much immediately due to new rules enforced. Likewise the away club can use the footage supplied by the home club to appeal too.

The match between Mansfield and Alty is an anomaly because, as far as I am aware, it is not in the rules of this stage of the competition that you must provide the away club with a copy of the game. Usually it is good manners to do so however. Likewise in the FA Trophy - in fact when York played Torquay United in the semi-final, Torquay refused to submit a video copy of the 1st leg to York so that York could use it in training for the 2nd leg. So you could say that while it might be seen as poor form by Mansfield they have not broken any rules.

The fact that the footage is on YouTube is irrelevant if it is from the Official tape, as it will be the official tape used by the FA to make any judgements regarding suspensions and other punishments.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2009, 02:48:41 PM »

Which I think is one of the main misgivings Phil. I don't think anyone would defend Smithy on the basis that if he's smacked someone then he deserves what he gets. But if this footage is not from the official match video it should be disregarded.

After all, the referee, 2 assistants and 4th official haven't seen it. If it comes to light on the official video then fair enough. Otherwise, very strange.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 James Smith to be investigated ?