PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 James Smith to be investigated ?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: James Smith to be investigated ?  (Read 35881 times)

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: October 27, 2009, 12:55:11 PM »

I hate to bang on about this again but....

http://www.chad.co.uk/stags/FA-to-probe-assault-on.5769385.jp

It seems Holdsworth has washed his hands of the incident, and said he asked the fourth official at the time who said he saw nothing. He then says his chairman has obviously got involved...

To be honest the game has been and gone and my own opinion is let it be, yes incidents happen in games but if we all sit and troll through 90 minutes of video footage after every game we'd have players out here there and everywhere. I'm not condoning what he did, but theres always two sides to every story.

fuertes

Re: James Smith to be investigated ?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 01:22:29 PM »

I'd have thought it's only fair to look at video evidence if you're able to do it in every game. Still, it's hard to defend Smithy there - he's bang out of order.

I suspect that's another player out for a while.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 01:27:14 PM »

Our lack of discipline in recent weeks is a major concern. We're picking up a lot of needless yellow/red cards and with a squad as small as ours we simply can't afford to have 2/3 players at a time sat in the stand suspended.

In addition to that we've got Chris Denham out injured due to a challenge which, I am reliably informed, was totally reckless on his part.

I hope this problem will be addressed sooner rather than later because I'd hate to see a good season ruined by our own stupidity. This group of players is better than that.
Come on Alty!

joe

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 01:29:36 PM »

Our lack of discipline in recent weeks is a major concern. We're picking up a lot of needless yellow/red cards and with a squad as small as ours we simply can't afford to have 2/3 players at a time sat in the stand suspended.

In addition to that we've got Chris Denham out injured due to a challenge which, I am reliably informed, was totally reckless on his part.

I hope this problem will be addressed sooner rather than later because I'd hate to see a good season ruined by our own stupidity. This group of players is better than that.

I totally agree with all of that. Our discipline is becoming a major issue.

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 01:30:55 PM »

We are not a dirty team.

Most of the incidents this season have been against Mansfield, I suspect that isn't a coincidence.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 01:32:17 PM »

Who's taking control on the pitch ? Where's the quiet word in a team mates ear gone ? Lawton club captain been out suspened and injured, Kearney would fit captain perfectly but makes stupid rash challenge on Saturday.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 04:09:18 PM »

Spot on.

The five red cards we have incurred this season to date have all been self-inflicted wounds.

It's bad enough that we have missed out on any FA Cup revenue without potential FA disciplinary fines being on the horizon at this rate.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 04:49:45 PM »

We are not a dirty team.

Most of the incidents this season have been against Mansfield, I suspect that isn't a coincidence.

I agree, we're not a dirty team. However, we just seem incredibly naive and petulant sometimes. It's not just the red cards picked up against Mansfield (all of which were apparently deserved), it's the stupid bookings we've picked up in a lot of games which are going to hurt us in  the long run if we can't field our best players regularly enough.

Like I said above, this team deserves better than that.
Come on Alty!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 05:49:28 PM »

We are not a dirty team.

I agree, we're not a dirty team. However, we just seem incredibly naive and petulant sometimes. It's not just the red cards picked up against Mansfield (all of which were apparently deserved), it's the stupid bookings we've picked up in a lot of games which are going to hurt us in  the long run if we can't field our best players regularly enough.

Like I said above, this team deserves better than that.

Exactly.

Chris Senior picking up four yellow cards and one red card already is, frankly, ludicrous.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 07:38:26 PM »

David Holdsworth deserves a lot of respect out of the two games in my opinion. He hasn't risen to the bait at all and has been quite reserved in his comments. Mansfield are a disciplined team that they can play it tough without getting over physical, and challenge without getting petulant. Maybe Altirincham management and players can learn a thing or two from Mansfield Town FC.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 07:50:54 PM »

Our discipline needs sorting quickly.

Self control needs to be brought to the fore.

Nonleaguer

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 07:56:20 PM »

Having seen both matches I would suggest that Mansfield were particularly physical (see fouls count) but got away with a lot being the perceived bigger club. In the FA Cup match Perry's blatant dive early in the game merited a yellow but he got away with it, Mills and Duffy at our place were constantly fouling without the ref taking any action.

Yes discipline and self control does need to improve but let's see the standards and laws of the game being applied fairly to both clubs not just the bigger ones.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 08:05:52 PM »

There is a difference between persistent fouling and downright violent conduct though. We've been getting yellow/red cards for some ridiculously reckless and petulant behaviour which is totally unnecessary.

It's just frustrating that we've put ourselves in such a good position in the league but might now lose ground through our own stupidity.
Come on Alty!

Butty

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 10:10:31 PM »

However persistent fouling leads to a yellow, and even more persistent fouling leads to another yellow. It doesnt take a genius to work out that yellow+ yellow= red

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 10:15:10 PM »

However persistent fouling leads to a yellow, and even more persistent fouling leads to another yellow. It doesnt take a genius to work out that yellow+ yellow= red

I think you're missing my point slightly.

Sometimes you accept that, even playing within the spirit of the game, you pick up yellow cards for fouls which occasionally lead to reds. However, the red cards we've picked up lately have been for violent and/or petulant acts which are not remotely within the spirit of the game. I suppose it's a question of attitude and professionalism.

Come on Alty!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team