PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Altrincham Town Centre
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Altrincham Town Centre  (Read 20426 times)

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Altrincham Town Centre
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 07:12:33 PM »

Has Taylor & Cross gone?

And what was that Pharmacy on Stamford New Road?

Does anyone remember the old bus station, one of those good old fashioned ones where the buses run over pedestrians when reversing! I don't remember the old bus station smelling of pish (as we call it up here). Although I believe it was the first in the country, the bus rail interchange is a smelly mess that destroyed the frontage of the railway station.

I have old photos of Alty in the downstairs bog (J's mum wouldn't allow them anywhere else!) from the early 20th century which shows so many of the old buildings and George Heslop!

Indeed I do remember it  JD.  there was a Cafe on the corner called the Acropolis if I am not mistaken where spotty oiks like myself used to hang around. The swimming baths a bit further up next to the Stamford Hall.  The axe and cleaver pub was one of the better pubs in town. There was a boutique called Adam west's who sold modern clothes such as Bell bottom trousers ::) ... You could buy a bespoke suit from Hepworths and get your cooked meats from Vincents near the Downs.

I also moved from Alty back in 69 when I joined up but got back as often as possible to watch Alty (and see the folks)...

Sadly Alty has changed totally since those days of Stanleys Market and loads of good shops such as Ray Browns electrical shop, Whites & Swales, Woolies and the Co-op .. The offices of the Guardian newspaper in George Street. and the old electric trains taking you to Oxford Rd.

Market Dave singing and dancing in the market.

I now live in Shrewsbury, but my memories of Alty are still vivid.

If I am not mistaken I went to Bradbury Sec Modern with one Harold Smith !! :D

All that and seeing Jackie Swindells do his stuff on a Saturday.

Happy days and memories of bygone years..

Cmon Alty

Longman

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 07:14:25 PM »

Alty town centre has officially died! All decent pubs have gone now too.

Agreed, it's absolutely terrible, like a ghost town!

fuertes

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2009, 07:25:52 PM »

Alty town centre has officially died! All decent pubs have gone now too.

Agreed, it's absolutely terrible, like a ghost town!

I'm seriously going to write to Brady about it. Apart from anything else, I want to know why it has been allowed to get so sh*t. It's not like there's a lack of cash in the area or an unskilled local population.

I've always been proud to tell people where I'm from, but if I'd grown up with the town looking like that my whole life I would have been much less positive about the place.

Narcissist

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2009, 07:46:55 PM »

If Im not mistaken Alty and Trafford Centre come under Trafford council.

Fixing up alty and other satellite towns in trafford would effectively harm the trafford centre and start a domino effect that could see the place be shown up for the white elephant that it is.

Its all speculation but at the end of the day there isnt enough money to go around the shops in alty and the trafford centre as well. The trafford centre used to get loads of shoppers from Liverpool but they dont need to come any more, if they lose the good people of alty etc too some of those big shops will be on their way and its curtains.

I cant imagine things getting too much better for alty any time soon.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2009, 07:52:01 PM »

I work for Iceland and one of my mates is a store manager. He has moved to Stretford as the woman manageress there is going to be taking over an Iceland in Altrincham.

Must be some sort of plans in the pipeline as our MD only spends money flying the managers to Florida for a convention  :)

... next up will be bargain buys, primark, new look etc

It really has changed form when I was a lad, I remember C&A and that good old record shop called 4play (oo err missus)

I remember the days of Swales record shop, Monkey Tree and that shop near Grafton Mall that sold all sorts of tat and gifty things and I remember The Red Balloon. I remember Ben's 50p store next to the post office - and I remember the post office. Even Walton's model shop appears to have shrunk!

Aaaah The Red Balloon, if i'm not mistaken that was the toy shop, I remember my mum and dad taking me in there when i was about 5, they used to have a train that went round on a track you could go on and a model railway round the skirting thingy mabob just below the ceiling.

:'(

I wish I was 5 again

Then again I acted a bit like it on Saturday shouting at Holdsworth  :)

Dougals Dad

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2009, 08:05:34 PM »

Has Taylor & Cross gone?

Does anyone remember the old bus station, one of those good old fashioned ones where the buses run over pedestrians when reversing! I don't remember the old bus station smelling of pish (as we call it up here). Although I believe it was the first in the country, the bus rail interchange is a smelly mess that destroyed the frontage of the railway station.

I have old photos of Alty in the downstairs bog (J's mum wouldn't allow them anywhere else!) from the early 20th century which shows so many of the old buildings and George Heslop!

Indeed I do remember it  JD.  there was a Cafe on the corner called the Acropolis if I am not mistaken where spotty oiks like myself used to hang around. The swimming baths a bit further up next to the Stamford Hall.  The axe and cleaver pub was one of the better pubs in town. There was a boutique called Adam west's who sold modern clothes such as Bell bottom trousers ::) ... You could buy a bespoke suit from Hepworths and get your cooked meats from Vincents near the Downs.

I also moved from Alty back in 69 when I joined up but got back as often as possible to watch Alty (and see the folks)...

Sadly Alty has changed totally since those days of Stanleys Market and loads of good shops such as Ray Browns electrical shop, Whites & Swales, Woolies and the Co-op .. The offices of the Guardian newspaper in George Street. and the old electric trains taking you to Oxford Rd.

Cmon Alty

My Dad also went to Bradbury - as a teacher (but he was known as Mr Smith & not Jennifer's Grandad!)

One of the problems is the independent shop cannot compete with the chains and the chains will go to where the customers are i.e. Trafford Centre

Dougals Dad

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2009, 08:23:27 PM »

I work for Iceland and one of my mates is a store manager. He has moved to Stretford as the woman manageress there is going to be taking over an Iceland in Altrincham.

Must be some sort of plans in the pipeline as our MD only spends money flying the managers to Florida for a convention  :)

... next up will be bargain buys, primark, new look etc

It really has changed form when I was a lad, I remember C&A and that good old record shop called 4play (oo err missus)

I remember the days of Swales record shop, Monkey Tree and that shop near Grafton Mall that sold all sorts of tat and gifty things and I remember The Red Balloon. I remember Ben's 50p store next to the post office - and I remember the post office. Even Walton's model shop appears to have shrunk!

Aaaah The Red Balloon, if i'm not mistaken that was the toy shop, I remember my mum and dad taking me in there when i was about 5, they used to have a train that went round on a track you could go on and a model railway round the skirting thingy mabob just below the ceiling.

:'(

I wish I was 5 again

Then again I acted a bit like it on Saturday shouting at Holdsworth  :)

Dead right about the Red Balloon (& being 5 again). Great selection of models, Scalextric & Hornby upstairs.

taxi Phil

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 08:28:15 PM »

Jennifer's Dad - the pharmacy was Copeland's.

As an old fart who came to Timperley in 1949, there's loads of happy memories that have long gone. The Stamford Hall (saw the Rolling Stones there very early on, and actually once played a gig there !), the old Baths, the old Bus Station where we used to meet girls on the way home from school.

I was shocked to discover last week that I am the last working cab driver in the Borough to have plied for hire from under the old Station canopy before they built the Interchange !

markecky

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2009, 08:39:56 PM »

A councillor will say "nothing to worry about" and point to this...

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=1248

Dougals Dad

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2009, 08:49:08 PM »

Jennifer's Dad - the pharmacy was Copeland's.

As an old fart who came to Timperley in 1949, there's loads of happy memories that have long gone. The Stamford Hall (saw the Rolling Stones there very early on, and actually once played a gig there !), the old Baths, the old Bus Station where we used to meet girls on the way home from school.

I was shocked to discover last week that I am the last working cab driver in the Borough to have plied for hire from under the old Station canopy before they built the Interchange !

Thank you - I noticed it had gone when I drove past the other week.

I noticed in Timperley that Percy Rooks is still open - a mate of mine once drove from Crewe to Timperley just because he had seen Rooks in Frank Sidebotom's Fantastic Shed Show -  and Luxistore. And there used to be (both in Timperley and Altrincham) a deli called David Vincent's - I think he opened this after being in The Invaders (A Quinn Martin Production).

The old toy shop in Timperley, where they had a 10p bin - just enough pocket money for a cheap plastic toy), has long gone.

I suppose everyone just goes to Toys R Us now - very good in its way, but Timperley's toy shop & The Red Balloon had a great selection of Airfix stuff.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2009, 10:17:01 PM »

Has Taylor & Cross gone?

Cmon Alty

My Dad also went to Bradbury - as a teacher (but he was known as Mr Smith & not Jennifer's Grandad!)One of the problems is the independent shop cannot compete with the chains and the chains will go to where the customers are i.e. Trafford Centre

I remember Mr Smith (Geography teacher if I am not mistaken).  The guy was very accurate when aiming a blackboard eraser at you at the back of the classroom if I am not mistaken  ;) :D When we were 16 he used to let us have a ciggy in the classroom

markecky

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2009, 10:22:02 PM »

I went to Stamford Park School and we all drew pictures of the wrecking balls as they knocked it down in 1986....

Altyrocket

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2009, 10:27:31 PM »

Thank you - I noticed it had gone when I drove past the other week.

I noticed in Timperley that Percy Rooks is still open - a mate of mine once drove from Crewe to Timperley just because he had seen Rooks in Frank Sidebotom's Fantastic Shed Show -  and Luxistore. And there used to be (both in Timperley and Altrincham) a deli called David Vincent's - I think he opened this after being in The Invaders (A Quinn Martin Production).

The old toy shop in Timperley, where they had a 10p bin - just enough pocket money for a cheap plastic toy), has long gone.

I suppose everyone just goes to Toys R Us now - very good in its way, but Timperley's toy shop & The Red Balloon had a great selection of Airfix stuff.

I used to work at Percy Rooks when Percy actually ran it. His nephew to it over, think his name was Ian.

safe95

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2009, 12:29:26 AM »

Hasn't it become some sort of boom area for lap dancing clubs?

bighairedmike

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2009, 05:05:45 AM »

Has Taylor & Cross gone?

Taylor and Cross is still there. Still the only place you can get various school uniforms from and it is still bloody expensive too! Agree altrincham has gone downhill but the model shop only seems smaller JD because when yu were last buying toys you were a hell of a lot smaller!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Altrincham Town Centre