Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Altrincham...2 Manchester City...0. Were you there? Reminiscences required.....

Author Topic: Altrincham...2 Manchester City...0. Were you there? Reminiscences required.....  (Read 3193 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Any reminiscences would be welcome relating to these two fixtures from almost three decades ago for potential inclusion in an article in the Robins Review :

(1) Altrincham...4  Gravesend & Northfleet...1

Saturday, 27th October 1979 (APL)

* Graham Barrow makes his Alty debut;

* John King is sent off with just ten minutes remaining;

* goalscorers: Howard; Heathcote (pen); Keirs (own goal) and Whitbread.

(2) Altrincham...2  Manchester City...0

Tuesday, 30th October 1979

Testimonial match for Stan Allan; Ivan Crossley; Mickey Brooke & John Owens

* 4,059 at Moss Lane on a rainswept evening;

* Malcolm Allison's City side included the likes of Joe Corrigan; Ray Ranson; Tommy Booth; Paul Power; Willie Donachie; Dragoslav Stepanovic; Steve Daley (!); Mike Robinson and the late Kazimierz Deyna;   

* goalscorers: Barrow & Howard.

**** Please post any recollections on this thread (or email me at: towerofsong@btinternet.com) by noon on Monday, 12th October 2009.

Many thanks, in anticipation.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

george

Bring pen & paper Saturday.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Have sent you an email, cult.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Derek Stubbs

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • thesatmanfootballtv.co.uk

Against City, i think we scored the goals quite early as i had to go after 30 mins & we were already ahead.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Bring pen & paper Saturday.

Mister Heslop,

Does that mean I need to supply the requisite stationery.....or is it a statement of intent on your part?

Anyhow, I thought that you still wrote using a quill and a scroll....

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

JackSwindells No 1 Fan

Email sent - that was an amazing night. Unique in the hostory of friendlies. 10 years or so on from the night when  a full house of 10,000 at ML saw us play City managed by the great Joe Mercer assited by Malcolm Alison. (The Johnny Crossan years as City came up the Div 1 from Div 2) when a watelogged pitch saw City cruise to a 3-0 win. The 1979 result showed just how far we had travelled.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Interesting stuff, yet I recall another home friendly when we played City and lost 1-0, but had the feeling they won at will. Corrigan kicked long and tested our then smallish keeper....was it Mailey....but I think Rodney Marsh scored almost apologetically for them?

Am I dreaming, I would have been a small(ish) boy?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Interesting stuff, yet I recall another home friendly when we played City and lost 1-0, but had the feeling they won at will. Corrigan kicked long and tested our then smallish keeper....was it Mailey....but I think Rodney Marsh scored almost apologetically for them?

That was one of about five or six games that I went to at Moss Lane before starting to watch Alty regularly. I think that it was either 1971 or 1972.My recollection is that we played quite well & City didn't score until about the 70th minute. City wore that white kit with the red & blue diagonal stripe.I also have a feeling that the attendance was about 10,000

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

That was one of about five or six games that I went to at Moss Lane before starting to watch Alty regularly. I think that it was either 1971 or 1972.My recollection is that we played quite well & City didn't score until about the 70th minute. City wore that white kit with the red & blue diagonal stripe.I also have a feeling that the attendance was about 10,000

Monday, 1st May 1972

Altrincham...0  Manchester City...1 (Rodney Marsh)

City team:

1. Joe Corrigan
2. Tony Book
3. Willie Donachie
4. Mike Doyle
5. Tommy Booth
6. Alan Oakes
7. Mike Summerbee
8. Francis Lee
9. Wyn Davies
10. Rodney Marsh
11. Tony Towers

Subs:

12. Ron Healey
13. Derek Jeffries
14. Freddie Hill

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Against City, i think we scored the goals quite early as i had to go after 30 mins & we were already ahead.

We were two nil up after 35 minutes.

thegazelle

the rodney marsh one
was it not one of his first games for city which is why the crowd was so large. i sat on the grass at the side of the pitch during the match because the crowd was so big and i was sooooooo small

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

the rodney marsh one
was it not one of his first games for city which is why the crowd was so large. i sat on the grass at the side of the pitch during the match because the crowd was so big and i was sooooooo small

You are a tad larger now Peter :D

anglo alty

i remember allison brought a near full strength side and we won 2-0 pity it wasn't the third round of the fa cup allowing for the fact it was a testimonial city struggled to cope at times
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Altrincham...2 Manchester City...0. Were you there? Reminiscences required.....