PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Never realised Stoke is in Wales
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Never realised Stoke is in Wales  (Read 4609 times)

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
Re: Never realised Stoke is in Wales
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 07:59:52 AM »

Bob - so in your books JTH and Rocky Robin are now English?
To deny people their ethnic identity is to deny them what they are.
When reminded that he was Irish the Duke of Wellington said "If I was born in a stable, would that make me a horse?"
I have no problem with sports people representing the land of their forfathers. I have an issue with countries that give foreigners a passort in order to represent them. A classic example is New Zealand who poach rugby players from all over the South Sea Islands, and still they are a poor second best to the Sprimgbok. English sports teams are not much less guilty as pointed out by Pompey Robin in regards to the cricket teams.
John Barnes certainly did not qualify for England under your '10 year rule' as he was a teenager when he came to reside temporay in England as his Dad was a in the Jamaican army and attached to the Jamaican embassy in London, and John played for England as a 20 year old. Ray Houghton does have Irish blood as his Dad is from Galway.

Don't know who JTH and Rocky Robin are so cannot comment.  And I am not denying anyone their ethnic identity at all.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 02:32:07 PM »

Oops! A light hearted observation has turned into a diplomatic incident!

Number23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 12:02:50 AM »

In fairness, Barnes had been in England for most of his life and all his professional career by the time he made his debut for England - as opposed to Ray Houghton who was born and raised in Scotland and then moved to England.   But, yes, there are some players - Owen Hargreaves for one - who should never been eligible to play for England.

I would scrap the whole ancestry rule, full stop.  It effectively promotes distinguishing people through ethnic origin, and it discourages countries from developing their own talent.  I'd suggest that, for as long as you've lived in a country for, say, 10 years, you can play for it.

Eh? The lad has an English parent. It's his right to play for England.

I tend to agree but I also take the point that he'd hardly (if ever) set foot in England before he played for the England football team and somehow that does seem wrong.
Maybe the answer is to say that qualification has to be a combination of parentage (I disagree entirely with grandparentage) and residency.

taxi Phil

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 07:22:40 AM »

Two pages of argument later............

IS RYAN SHOTTON IN ANY PERCENTAGE BLOODY WELSH OR NOT ?

Frankly, I wouldn't care if he was 75% Afghan after what he did for this club. And those of us who saw Sam Sheridan's pretty impressive debut tonight will hope that he's THIS season's Ryan, regardles of where his grandparents came from.

bigcol

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 07:57:08 AM »

No he's not. 

fuertes

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 09:07:43 AM »

Frankly, I wouldn't care if he was 75% Afghan after what he did for this club. And those of us who saw Sam Sheridan's pretty impressive debut tonight will hope that he's THIS season's Ryan, regardles of where his grandparents came from.

Aye the lad looked decent didn't he?

Tom Kearney is a terrific player. The pair of them did well last night.

Stockportalty

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 09:51:43 AM »

Whether Ryan Shotton has a drop of Welsh blood in him is neither here nor there, if there is the chance of a former 'player of the season' from this club, playing international football in the full Welsh (English or Outer-Mongolian) squad - which could happen, just proves what we we said about him being good enough to play at such a high level. Lets take pride in our part of making him the player he must be. Go for it Ryan, we know you can do it!!

Dougals Dad

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 11:38:15 AM »

Aye the lad looked decent didn't he?

Tom Kearney is a terrific player. The pair of them did well last night.

Can we afford to keep Shridan  any longer? Did someone say he's cap'n of Bolton Reserves?
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Never realised Stoke is in Wales