PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 John Murray RIP
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: John Murray RIP  (Read 6174 times)

WiganAlty

Re: John Murray RIP
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2009, 12:41:19 PM »

Very sad news about John - our thoughts are with Jacqui, Alan, Paul, Mark , Lisa and all of the family at this time. He will be missed by everyone who has had the privilege to know him.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 01:16:40 PM by WiganAlty »

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2009, 02:59:50 PM »

A sad loss of yet another Alty stalwart.

My condolences to Paul, Mark and the rest of the Murray family.

I seem to recollect him writing a few trenchant letters about the Berman regime at Moss Lane to the local press in his time!

I related a story about John in my programme article for the AFC Wimbledon match only last Saturday, too.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2009, 05:37:34 PM »

Another Alty Stalwart passes away RIP- Mr Murray- fond memories from when Al and Mr Murray would all be together  singing with the likes of Rob Dawson to name but one- you will be missed
ParkINson's red and white army

thegazelle

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2009, 06:13:14 PM »

indeed i have fond memories of john a man i had great respect for.  my thoughts are with the family
fond regards pete

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2009, 06:52:17 PM »

I have an idea who John was but I am not 100% sure. I certainly recall one or two Murrays, but the younger family members.

Another loyal Alty fan gone, Its been a bad couple of years.

Condolences to the family and direct friends.

Steve

Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

brisbane_alty

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2009, 01:08:19 AM »

Very sad news indeed. I flew home 2 weeks ago on a very quick visit, and got to the Histon game. I remember thinking it strange that I didn't spot John in the crowd, as I've always noticed him stood behind the goal for as long as I can remember (going back to the 1979/80 season.)

My thoughts are with the Murray family.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 11:19:22 AM »

Only really knew him as a regular fixture behind the goal, but did speak with him on a couple of occasions. He seemed like a very decent, genuine man and my sincere condolences go to the rest of the family.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Altyroo

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 11:56:32 AM »

Very sad news. I am sorry to hear about John. A really nice man. He will be sorely missed. Our deepest sympathy to all his family.

Andy, Debbie and the kids.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 08:35:44 PM »

Sad news.  A good man who did more than his fair share of unsung work behind the scenes.  RIP.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2009, 12:00:51 AM »

Sincere condolences to Paul, Mark, Alan and all the family. I can hear him extolling the team to 'rough em up Alty' whilst writing this. RIP John.   

Stockportalty

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2009, 09:35:14 AM »

So sad to hear this news, John just seemed to be one of those men who has always been there, all the time I have been going to Moss lane. Our sympathy goes to all the family.
The Lewis family

safe95

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2009, 03:39:15 PM »

This is very sad news and my deepest condolences go to all the Murray family. John was an absolute gentleman-kind and generous and Alty through and through.It was a privilege to have known him.

Jezza

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2009, 10:35:41 PM »

Thanks for all the comments.

I spoke to Lisa this morning and she was very comforted by them all....she was very touched that Dad was remembered with such respect....she's going to print them all off and keep them.

A lot of my memories of dad unsurprisingly involve watching alty with him.....his mad dashes back from Hemel Hempstead to catch a midweek match while we kids sat anxiously at home watching the clock (he always made it in time), his striding up indignantly to a clutch of 6 ft scarboro (in fairness probably leeds) skinheads and telling them to "GET BACK!".

But probably my favourite memory was of the first trophy final....his first thought was to invite Big Bill and Brian Sweeney and we kids were allowed to bring a friend each to the match...then he set about finding a car big enough and thus we all set off in a white Ford granada estate...think there were 9 of us in it......Dad was famous for his 'plastic money' in those days and we had no sooner sat down than we scored....Dad jumped up and all his credit cards flew out of his pocket showering the people in front....he'd no sooner collected them all up than we scored again causing another shower of american express, diners club, barclaycards etc..........

Mark Murray

Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 John Murray RIP