News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Today's Altrincham FC Trivia Question

Author Topic: Today's Altrincham FC Trivia Question  (Read 2810 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: August 17, 2009, 02:03:39 PM »

What was the particular significance of the Gola League match between Alty and Scarborough that was played at Moss Lane on Tuesday, 24th September 1985?

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Today's Altrincham FC Trivia Question
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 02:16:20 PM »

Tommy docs first game in charge,maybe???   ???

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 04:36:12 PM »

What was the particular significance of the Gola League match between Alty and Scarborough that was played at Moss Lane on Tuesday, 24th September 1985?

iirc the game was a 0-0 draw? Me and Lem were late for it cos we'd been playing football in my garden. What the significance is I don't know, you'll need to give u a clue Cult, I'm presuming the fact that you're asking us on the 17th August rather than 24th September means it's something to do with recent events.

The last game of our furthest unbeaten from the start of the season run perhaps? I remember we were quite good that season!  :)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 07:50:18 PM »

Wasn't that vs Runcorn?
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 12:36:55 AM »

Too early for that, Hughesy.

Tommy Docherty's first game as Alty manager was a 2-0 win against Runcorn at Moss Lane on Tuesday, 29th September 1987.

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 12:43:11 AM »

iirc the game was a 0-0 draw? Me and Lem were late for it cos we'd been playing football in my garden. What the significance is I don't know, you'll need to give u a clue Cult, I'm presuming the fact that you're asking us on the 17th August rather than 24th September means it's something to do with recent events.

The last game of our furthest unbeaten from the start of the season run perhaps? I remember we were quite good that season!  :)

Ballers,

We actually won the game 2-0 courtesy of a Graham Bennett double.

Sorry - it doesn't really relate to current events.
It's just a snippet of Altrincham FC history that popped up whilst I was researching an article for the Robins Review for the Histon match.

Clue: the answer doesn't relate to any events on the pitch in that specific fixture....but more to a change of routine for Alty fans!

Jezza

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 12:55:22 AM »

first league game to be segregated? first 7.45 kick off as opposed to 7.30? first time we saw the gazelle sober at kick off? first time in the top flight we weren't 2-0 up at ht?

I give up

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 07:20:44 AM »

Was it the change of midweek match night from Monday to Tuesday?

taxi Phil

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 08:51:26 AM »

Damn - knew I shouldn't have had a lie in ! This crossed my mind last night. I'd said for some years that Monday night games affected the gate because they clashed with the Altrincham LV Darts and Cribbage Leagues. In the event, I knew of half a dozen or so Saturday regulars who were now able to get to midweek matches. Every little helps.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 11:55:06 AM »

ATS in 'not just a pretty face' shocker...!

Yes indeed, that particular match officially marked the change from Monday to Tuesday as Alty's favoured midweek match night - at the instigation of John King and George Rooney, who were the management team at that time.

Congratulations ATS!

Your prize of a signed photograph of Darren Tinson will be in the post to you tomorrow..... 

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 12:35:25 PM »

Yes indeed, that particular match officially marked the change from Monday to Tuesday as Alty's favoured midweek match night - at the instigation of John King and George Rooney, who were the management team at that time.

Congratulations ATS!

Your prize of a signed photograph of Darren Tinson will be in the post to you tomorrow..... 

Most kind Mr Cult - However being a generous individual I will decline my prize. Maybe you could raffle or auction it as a fundraiser??????

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 05:26:35 PM »

Congratulations ATS!

Most kind Mr Cult - However being a generous individual I will decline my prize. Maybe you could raffle or auction it as a fundraiser??????

Alas, too late, ATS.

That photo is already in the post to you.

Put it on your mantelpiece next to those snapshots of Wayne Entwistle and Ronnie Ellis's wife.....

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team