Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 So, we are still only one game away from our second appearance at Elland Road...

Author Topic: So, we are still only one game away from our second appearance at Elland Road...  (Read 2588 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

What ineffable joy to see Leeds United fail last evening in their bid to gain promotion from League One.

To paraphrase Dr Samuel Johnson:

" When a man is tired of seeing Leeds United lose, he is tired of life."

So, that means we are still potentially just one match away from finding ourselves handed a trip to Elland Road in the FA Cup First Round.

Or perhaps we could even draw Norwich City and get Delia Smith up at Moss Lane in order to help out with cooking the chips in the new snack bar...?

Oh, and yes, it would be Alty's second appearance at Elland Road.

So, name the circumstances of our first visit there....

(N.B. Flynny, you are excluded from this question for 48 hours!).

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

RocketDan

did tony yeboah score a hattrick against us ina  friendly in 1995

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

I think we lost 0-4 to them in the summer of 92. They were champions and I believe it was a full strength side. Cantona scored iirc but I think the match wasn't played at Elland ROad, it was at their training ground or a university (or both). I think.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

I think we lost 0-4 to them in the summer of 92. They were champions and I believe it was a full strength side. Cantona scored iirc but I think the match wasn't played at Elland ROad, it was at their training ground or a university (or both). I think.

Ballers,

I have the date as 16th July 1992.

Here's Mark Harris's brief report of the event from his book on the 1992/93 season:

"The first of the pre-season friendlies was held behind closed doors at Elland Road, where the Robins lost 0-4 against a strong Leeds side." 

Over to you for the definitive account, Mister Flynn......

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Ballers,

I have the date as 16th July 1992.

Here's Mark Harris's brief report of the event from his book on the 1992/93 season:

"The first of the pre-season friendlies was held behind closed doors at Elland Road, where the Robins lost 0-4 against a strong Leeds side." 

Over to you for the definitive account, Mister Flynn......

I believe that all of that is correct apart from the venue.I am fairly sure that the game took place at either Leeds University or another college in Leeds.

I can't remember all of the scorers but they were all big names & Cantona & Batty certainly were amongst them.

My trivia question on this game is who was in goal for us?

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

I think Lee Spencer for some reason but if he'd been in net Leeds would've scored 24! The consensus from me jamie and pete is that it could be Paul Collings who came to us, didn't sign and came back when Kingy did. Edit, pete and jamie say Tim Clarke. Also, did Andy Bondswell play? I think he did.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

I think Lee Spencer for some reason but if he'd been in net Leeds would've scored 24! The consensus from me jamie and pete is that it could be Paul Collings who came to us, didn't sign and came back when Kingy did. Edit, pete and jamie say Tim Clarke. Also, did Andy Bondswell play? I think he did.

Not either of these keepers!

I believe that Andy Bondswell did play in the game.

The Malt Shovels Saturday Night collective of Ballers, Hughesey & Jamie Newhall did identify the correct keeper via a series of text messages with my goodself last night.....so we'll give everyone else 24 hours before revealing his identity to the world wide entity that is the fans forum!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

The Malt Shovels Saturday Night collective of Ballers, Hughesey & Jamie Newhall did identify the correct keeper via a series of text messages with my goodself last night.....so we'll give everyone else 24 hours before revealing his identity to the world wide entity that is the fans forum!

Well, it can't have been Joe Paladino, or else Leeds would have scored more than four...

Did Eric Nixon make a guest appearance or two for us around this time?

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Well, it can't have been Joe Paladino, or else Leeds would have scored more than four...

Did Eric Nixon make a guest appearance or two for us around this time?

I think that Eric Nixon played a few years after this.....wasn't he in goal for us when Jason Koumas scored that wonder goal for Tranmere at Moss Lane in the mid-nineties?

The answer.....as correctly identified by The Malt Shovels 3 is Mark Davies, who played a few games towards the end of the 1991/2 season.The Leeds game was, I believe, his last appearance in an Alty shirt

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

The answer.....as correctly identified by The Malt Shovels 3 is Mark Davies, who played a few games towards the end of the 1991/2 season.The Leeds game was, I believe, his last appearance in an Alty shirt

Ah yes, Mark Davies...a Stan Allan signing.

Here's a profile of him that I wrote for an article in the Robins Review on the subject of an Alty Theme Team comprised of characters who had played for both the Robins & Southport:

1. MARK DAVIES

His debut on the Altrincham teamsheet for the home game against Bath City on 5th October 1985 arose from somewhat bizarre circumstances. Jeff Wealands was absent and Trevor Dance was recalled in goal. However, the Robins’ squad was so severely decimated by injuries that Davies had to be named as one of the two substitutes. Unsurprisingly, he didn’t leave the bench! During the 1986/87 season, he recorded 33 appearances for Southport but then appears to have gone to America. In March 1992, he returned to Moss Lane during the last rites of Stan Allan’s calamitous managerial reign and played in five successive defeats before a dislocated thumb terminated his career with the Robins.

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 So, we are still only one game away from our second appearance at Elland Road...