PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Not So Friendlies
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Not So Friendlies  (Read 10917 times)

Jenga

Not So Friendlies
« on: May 15, 2009, 02:17:03 PM »

Sat. 11 July (3pm): Abbey Hey (away)
Sat. 18 July (3pm): Colwyn Bay (away)
Tue. 21 July (7.45pm): Northwich Vics (away)
Sat. 25 July (3pm): Bolton Wanderers XI (home)
Tue. 28 July (7.45pm): Macclesfield Town XI (home)
Sat. 4 Aug (3pm): Manchester United XI (home)

Northwich, Macclesfield and Manchester United - next it will be FSCUM.

On the plus side we should get some people through the turnstiles for the two home ones and also Bolton.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Not So Friendlies
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 02:32:36 PM »

Sat. 11 July (3pm): Abbey Hey (away)
Sat. 18 July (3pm): Colwyn Bay (away)
Tue. 21 July (7.45pm): Northwich Vics (away)
Sat. 25 July (3pm): Bolton Wanderers XI (home)
Tue. 28 July (7.45pm): Macclesfield Town XI (home)
Sat. 4 Aug (3pm): Manchester United XI (home)

Northwich, Macclesfield and Manchester United - next it will be FSCUM.

On the plus side we should get some people through the turnstiles for the two home ones and also Bolton.

4th August is a tuesday. The Saturday before is the 1st Aug. Is it the 1st?
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

fuertes

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 02:52:41 PM »

Hang on, I thought we were all supposed to be excited because United aren't on tour and would be playing some first-teamers.

The name Manchester United XI suggests it'll be a team full of people we've never heard about.

markecky

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 03:01:42 PM »

Hang on, I thought we were all supposed to be excited because United aren't on tour and would be playing some first-teamers.

The name Manchester United XI suggests it'll be a team full of people we've never heard about.

There will be first teamers playing..however it is much safer to put XI...it won't be the full first team

Altyroo

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 03:07:18 PM »

Macclesfield XI. Who do they think they are. They are only 1 division above us surely they could send the first team.

joe

Not so friendlies
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 03:18:06 PM »

Quality fixtures,especially Vics and Macc! Also looking forward to Colwyn Bay,a trip to Europe!

fuertes

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 03:30:34 PM »

There will be first teamers playing..however it is much safer to put XI...it won't be the full first team

Gotcha. Why is it safer? Do people demand their money back if they don't get to see all the players they'd like??

How about the Bolton XI? Any word on whether they'll put out a strong side?

markecky

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 03:41:22 PM »

In the past we used to advertise it as Manchester United.

People would then come to see Ronaldo and Rooney and be furious that little Jonny did not see either of them, just some kids.

This year is the first year that it is possible that there are some first teamers...as they are in the country and no playing a Toyota XI for a large cup.

Judging by how sh*t Macc's first eleven are, I'd love to see some of the second eleven

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 04:31:41 PM »

I know it's good to play local teams of a similar standard but should we really play our rivals in friendlies. I mean would you ever see Liverpool play Man utd in a pre-season friendly, just think it's a bit strange and might take the uniqueness out of the derby experience

fuertes

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 04:35:52 PM »

I know it's good to play local teams of a similar standard but should we really play our rivals in friendlies. I mean would you ever see Liverpool play Man utd in a pre-season friendly, just think it's a bit strange and might take the uniqueness out of the derby experience

To be fair we won't be playing either of them next season so those games will be pretty unique. Should encourage a few more fans  to come along and generate a bit of extra wonga too.

thegazelle

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 05:13:48 PM »

i know it may sound negative but i am entikled to my opinion. i feel it detracts from the real dislike of both teams by playing them in a friendly . there is nothing friendly about either team and that is the way it should stay. i for one will vote with feet and will not be attending either fixture. however if we change our name to Altrincham X1 for the vics fixture it would be suitably condescending and may amuse me enough to fly 5,000 miles(again) to watch us beat them (again). W e need to play hearts of Oak
away in a friendly

RocketDan

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 05:52:26 PM »

To be fair recently Nottingham Forest play Derby a friendly (each year???) in the Brian Clough charity cup thingy.

I'm sure their fans will tell you that game is anything but friendly.

casper

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 06:35:33 PM »

Glad to see were playing abbey hey as i thought GH said that we wouldnt be playing them during the fans forum. All nice local games, and a seaside visit thrown in. Unfortunately with me holidaying at the end of july, looks like i wont be able to make most of them (again).

Hopefully united will bring a good side, we will be able to market it properly and get some much needed finance into the club.

fuertes

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 06:53:59 PM »

Glad to see were playing abbey hey as i thought GH said that we wouldnt be playing them during the fans forum. All nice local games, and a seaside visit thrown in. Unfortunately with me holidaying at the end of july, looks like i wont be able to make most of them (again).

Hopefully united will bring a good side, we will be able to market it properly and get some much needed finance into the club.

Exactly. With a few guaranteed first teamers I can't see why it wouldn't be a really big crowd...

Alex

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 07:16:14 PM »

no trafford game  ???
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Not So Friendlies