PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 It was 31 years ago today....
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: It was 31 years ago today....  (Read 10131 times)

thegazelle

Re: It was 31 years ago today....
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2009, 05:30:31 PM »

what a memory you have simon, yeh one of the barmaids was jackie
I had forgotten all about the wart  chucking up on a lady police person.
my mother still whinges about me una and chris wrigley bringing back most of the golf course starting blocks just as she was about to show great aunty Kath out.
UNA and chris were regailing me with a story about them thinking i could walk on water (it was the cinder path) on the golf course . Cant think what we were doing coming home via the golf course i suppose we had been to the hare and hounds for some reason

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2009, 05:43:28 PM »

The after-hours advice I remember from Sid was "never drink dark mild", certainly not in The Moss, anyway, given some of his recycling techniques.

I recall being warned off ever ordering a pint of Sid's infamous dark mild concoction, too.

Mind you, I'm pretty certain that dark mild was the chosen drink of the legendary Jack Thorpe when he frequented The Moss and he is still going strong in his nineties, so perhaps it was the elixir of eternal life after all...?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

thegazelle

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2009, 06:44:24 PM »

it literally contained everything . I would not be lieing if i told you the slops from the punters at the end of the night went back in it, not just the slops from the drip trays. probably with just enough fag ash to clear it in a finings type way.it used to make me laugh, there was a guy who came in every night and insisted on famous grouse told everyone it was the only whisky he could drink and he could tell the differnece down to the smallest percentage . little did he know that every blended whisky including his beloved grouse, came out of a gallon bottle of white horse or whatever brand sid had used that week.

does anyone remember how busy it used to be on xmas eve with everyone from the gas, shearings and Banners it was mayhem and if yer couldnt pull that day it was time to give it up.
even i got the odd snog

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2009, 08:49:25 PM »

I know this has gone a bit off topic, but it reminds me of when I'd started going out drinking about the same time 78-79, and my old gran advising me with a serious face never to drink dark mild. I doubt she'd ever been in The Moss either.

I did help out once at the bar at Alty festival on the sports field near The Grange Estate, we had a couple of beers on plus red and white wine. Some bird comes over and asked for a glass of rose, didn't know what to do so ended up with my back to her mixing a third red and two thirds white into the glass. Lovely she said.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2009, 09:28:56 PM »

Cult/Gazelle
I don’t recall any of those names except Dave Bennett the Mechanic at Keith Warburton's garage next door and lived right across the road from the pub, and he was a big mate of mine in those days. I have a photo of him on the coach to Wembley. Keith always went in Moss with one of his brothers and Brian MacDonald a nice guy from the Broomwood. The others I do recall from the Vault are
Colin Thorpe - barred by Sid probably not long after the FA Trophy Final, now lives in the Warrington area.
Malc Thorpe - Col's elder brother who I am still in contact with and now lives in North West Wales from where he drives daily to work in Salford.
Roman Piakaski - family were all big Alty fans in the 60's and 70's
Albert Rowland, and his Dad also called Albert. Albert didn’t come to Wembley with us as he had a bird at the time called Fay Rowley who lived in Hale and she had him well under the thumb, so much that we sang a song in the Vault about it. Albert's son Vernum played for the Robins.
Duncan Walker - emigrated to South Africa in the early 90’s
Steve Hill - a big mate of Dave Bennett. It was Steve who I first heard use the nickname Hissing Sid.
Graham McCormack - The only Scouser that I have ever met that voluntarily paid up on a lost bet (1977 FA Cup Final). I use to baby-sit his kids.  Has lived in the Warrington area for many years. Went on a different coach to Wembley as he viewed us as too boisterous.
Chris Howitt – I think gave up drinking on medical grounds. Has a brother called Nick.
The Robison brothers - Alan was barman at the Moss. They originally came from Sunderland.
Jack Whitty - Irishman from Ballyanne Co Wexford - his kids went to BTH with me

I also have some of those cars stickers somewhere in my loft. One reads ALTY FOR EVERton.

I recall claims of the slops going into the Mild. Has the Vault gone?

thegazelle

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2009, 04:34:55 AM »

Like sid alas the vault has long gone they made it into one big room in the late eighties.

i have not set foot in there for probably more than 25 years think i only went in once or twice after sid and irene left . the rot set in after the liverpool game and i had a falling out with irene over flags and xmas decorations it was an accident and it wasnt me but i got the blame because i have a big gob.

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2009, 09:43:11 AM »

it was an accident and it wasnt me but i got the blame because i have a big gob.

:D ;D  the storyof those years in a nutshell?

thegazelle

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2009, 10:57:09 AM »

those years......................... its been a life time.

Bazbatteria

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2009, 04:48:34 PM »

I love reading these tales of old by you guys, perhaps you should write a book! or an expanded feature for the match programme next time we're involved in the FA cup/trophy.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 04:50:43 PM by Bazbatteria »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 It was 31 years ago today....