Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 What has happened to this football club?

Author Topic: What has happened to this football club?  (Read 3605 times)

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: April 04, 2009, 07:07:29 PM »

Over the last couple of months the feeling at the club has took a downturn and I cant understand why. We are having what most people are calling our best season for years when the Chairman puts out a puzzling press release about what level of footbal we may or may not be playing at next season, we then launch a good scheme for renewing season tickets but that follow that up by a comment from our vice-chairman that we will be playing with a conf north budget next season whether we stay up or go down (which surely wouldnt inspire additional season ticket sales) and we then hit a terrible run of form with an extended injury list, losing against teams on paper we should beat and players having a go at fans. The only way we will survive this season and succeeding next is by us all being positive and pulling together, but Im very sad at the moment to be an Altrincham fan.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: What has happened to this football club?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 08:02:03 PM »

For me the Chairman's and Vice Chairman's comments were misinterpreted........all they were saying is that the purse strings need to be tightened next season........hopefully this will apply to all the other teams too, although I doubt many will bother.

I know its been said before and I understand all about professionalism etc, but the club need to take a good look at the benefits of overnight stays.........I assume we have yet to get a point out of one this season ? Does anyone know if this is correct ?

Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 08:06:23 PM »

Meant to add.........I agree, let's try and be positive about the Eastbourne game and get behind the team on Tuesday.....I am sure we can still cross the finish line before the Grays home game
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

markecky

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 11:22:09 AM »

The fact you said you are "very sad to be an Altrincham fan at the moment" shows that really its all abut expectattion.

At the start of the season, virtually everyone said as long as we stay up on our own we'll be happy.  Now the goalposts are moving.

I don't think we'll ever get away from PR disasters or complete garbage performances past Watford but it will be a shame if we stay up and people still act like we have gone down.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 11:24:02 AM »

The fact you said you are "very sad to be an Altrincham fan at the moment" shows that really its all abut expectattion.

At the start of the season, virtually everyone said as long as we stay up on our own we'll be happy.  Now the goalposts are moving.

I don't think we'll ever get away from PR disasters or complete garbage performances past Watford but it will be a shame if we stay up and people still act like we have gone down.

Is that why we don't score?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 01:00:59 PM »

I know its been said before and I understand all about professionalism etc, but the club need to take a good look at the benefits of overnight stays.........I assume we have yet to get a point out of one this season ? Does anyone know if this is correct ?

Mick,

Go on then, I'll wade through the statistics....

Alty's BSP League AWAY GAMES form to date:

WINS (5):

Woking (overnight stay)

Salisbury City (no overnight stay - match played on a Tuesday night)

Forest Green Rovers (no overnight stay)

Northwich Victoria (no overnight stay)

York City (no overnight stay)

DRAWS (3):

Rushden & Diamonds (no overnight stay - match played on a Monday night)

Barrow (no overnight stay)

Burton Albion (no overnight stay)

DEFEATS (12):

Kidderminster Harriers (no overnight stay)

Eastbourne Borough (overnight stay)

Histon (no overnight stay - match played on a Tuesday evening) 

Stevenage Borough (overnight stay)

Weymouth (overnight stay)

Crawley Town (overnight stay)

Oxford United (not sure about this one - possible overnight stay?)

Torquay United (overnight stay)

Kettering Town (no overnight stay)

Grays Athletic (overnight stay)

Ebbsfleet United (no overnight stay - match played on a Tuesday evening)

Lewes (overnight stay)

Draw your own conclusions....and remember, there are lies, damned lies and statistics!

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

radcliffe alty

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 01:27:19 PM »

Are we still training 3 times a week? I remember when results were bad earlier in the season GH introduced Friday night training, and that seemed to then result in the upturn (which could be what keeps us up this season).

If this has now ceased I wonder whether it will be reintroduced? And would it be as beneficial with 13 fit players all of which are clearly dead on their feet currently? Lewes at home was a key turning point in our season. I wonder if Lewes away will be as well.

I agree about expectations increasing, and that is a good thing. The players, at times, set some very high standards this season and that is what increased the expectations and it is understandable when we get frustrated at them more often than not not achieveing what we know they are capable of.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 01:31:28 PM by radcliffe alty »

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 08:38:35 PM »

Thanks Cult...........the points tally is better than I thought.

Expectations have increased this season, but as a p/t club on moderate gates, these expectations need to be realistic. For the majority of supporters I think these are to be competitive in games; to finish out of the bottom four (or maybe six !) and to have a half decent FA Trophy / FA Cup run. I still believe that staying in this league, with all its big money teams, should be viewed as a success.

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 10:31:18 PM »

I would be delighted if we stayed up on the last day and my point is although probably not very succinct is that the club seems to be in the same situation year on year and lessons dont seem to be learned. If it goes to the last day I will be at Cambridge and have been there on each of the crucial last days since 1997 and on each and every occasion have celebrated or commiserated depending on the outcome.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 12:11:32 AM »

Thanks Cult...........the points tally is better than I thought.

Expectations have increased this season, but as a p/t club on moderate gates, these expectations need to be realistic. For the majority of supporters I think these are to be competitive in games; to finish out of the bottom four (or maybe six !) and to have a half decent FA Trophy / FA Cup run. I still believe that staying in this league, with all its big money teams, should be viewed as a success.

Alas, our form in the major cup competitions in recent years has been simply abysmal, to be frank.

We haven't won an FA Trophy tie since 2005 and have only achieved unspectacular FA Cup victories against the likes of Kendal Town and Newcastle Blue Star, thereby limiting our chances of accruing some welcome revenue by progressing in both of these competitions.

This season's principal disappointments (to date) were the failure to overcome a very ordinary Luton Town side at Moss Lane and our abject surrender at home to Southport in the FA Trophy.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

fuertes

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 09:03:15 AM »

I think at the start of the season I would have said finishing 19th/20th was 'par'. Relegation would have meant a poor season, top half a very good season. By this measure, we're still doing pretty well and a win on Tuesday would leave me a happy bunny.

I'm a bit puzzled by our poor recent record in the FA Cup/FA Trophy. However, I think we actually did very well against Luton and were unlucky not to make it through. Let's hope we get a few kind draws next year and we're turning out at Old Trafford in January 2010!

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 09:09:07 AM »

I think at the start of the season I would have said finishing 19th/20th was 'par'. Relegation would have meant a poor season, top half a very good season. By this measure, we're still doing pretty well and a win on Tuesday would leave me a happy bunny.

I'm a bit puzzled by our poor recent record in the FA Cup/FA Trophy. However, I think we actually did very well against Luton and were unlucky not to make it through. Let's hope we get a few kind draws next year and we're turning out at Old Trafford in January 2010!

I don't actually care about Old Trafford. Just making the 2nd round of the FA Cup, 3rd round of the trophy and winning 3 Setanta SHield games would make an incredible difference to our finances.

Jenga

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 12:19:06 PM »

At the start of the season like everyone else I was hoping just to stay in this league.

By the Lewes game things were not looking good.

We rallied and got some wonderful results and that catapulted us up the league.

The fans could see what this team and management could do.

We get a few injuries and our squad is cut to the bone, suspensions also dont help I might add.

By the Lewes game things are not looking good at present .................................

But we still may have enough points - would like a couple more though

As mentioned above but perhaps not picked up on, the players do look dead on their feet.

Who knows what will happen in the next few games.

A final push this season from all management players and dare I say it the fans and we could be looking at acheiving our opening day objectives.

Jezza

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 12:34:10 PM »

I really can't remember my opening day objective....but i think with the signings and pre season a few hoped for mid table comfort and relaxation and a few outrageous proud moments.

Have our expectations been artificially upped by some of those memorable victories sort of just before mid season and have we been playing compalcently or realisticly since.

I'm just frustrated that just as for the first time back in the conference we should have been able to relax and play some comfortable football and enjoy it we get dragged back into a desperate relegation scrap where nerves get to everyone including the players.

For this club to survive on it's own merits (dear god please this time) in this league it's a great achievement.

It's just been a bit disappointing to have the what if nagging at the back of my mind...what if senior had been fit, what if Elam had really worked out, what if that pen V Luton had gone in.

Next year our luck has to change and everything will come off for us...surely?
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team