PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Jack Swindells is 72 on 12th April
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Jack Swindells is 72 on 12th April  (Read 5583 times)

JackSwindells No 1 Fan

« on: April 02, 2009, 04:19:51 PM »

To the best of my knowledge Jack was born on 12th April 1937.
If possible can we collect some birthday messages here and try to forward to them to him via the club. (Brian/Graham?)

I think we missed his big 70th, but I don't think we should let this pass by without some sort of recognition.

The legend of all Alty legends - just  add up the goals and appearances during his time with us. Simply unequalled.

http://www.lusa.u-net.com/legend2.htm

Apps 317+5
Goals 261

Happy Birthday Jack, legend and also a lovely man.

markecky

Re: Jack Swindells is 72 on 12th April
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 04:51:31 PM »

I cannot comprehend what it must have been like to watch him play.

Probably the biggest Alty legend there is...

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 05:43:29 PM »

Nonsense, Ecky.

Tunna was easily bigger.....
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 08:45:48 PM »

If there was one reason why I started coming to Alty it was Jackie.

He was a true gent on the pitch, completely the wrong size and physique for the job he did for Alty ... but virtually unstoppable in his prime!

I have so many fond memories of watching him in the famous red shorts, but if I had to pick one it would be the whisky-fuelled wobble in the pens against Wigan in the Cup. Unbelieveable!

(There again there's the 5 against Scarborough etc.,)

Happy Brithday Jackie, your deeds on the pitch for Alty lit up my teens and early twenties!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Dougals Dad

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 08:58:26 PM »

Just a thought..... but with our injury problems.....I wonder if.....?

Jackie was well before my time, but I remember a friend's dad in Ellesmere Port eulogising about him having seen him in the floodlight cup in the 60s. This bloke had no interest in Alty but, nonetheless, Jackie's feats stood out even to a neutral.

am_nvfc

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 11:14:27 PM »

Must admit, even from my Vics perspective, one of the non-league "Greats".  A dim and distant memory to me from my teenage years, but a name which immediately rang bells when I saw it on here.  Happy birthday from me.  :)

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 07:39:44 AM »

Jackie was probably the greatest Alty player ever - due to his 84 goals in one season.
He did however play in a great side with some brilliant players, for example big Pat Connolly was a magnificent Centre Forward that created many of the goal opportunities for Jackie.

Alty Aylmer

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »

Jackie is actually my secretary's father in law believe it or not. I have asked if he would be willing to sign my shirt and she said he wouldn't mind at all. So if anyone wants anything signed by him, a shirt, DVD, picture etc then just PM me with a contact number and I can pick it all up at Tuesday's game to hand in.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 10:49:02 AM »

Having seen Jackie playing,i would not be surprised if he did not look any different today.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JACKIE
Harold

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 10:52:44 AM »

Before my time, but from all I've read a TRUE legend (not the slipshod way that word is bandied about today). Hapy birthday and many more of them.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 11:12:17 AM »

it was brilliant watching Jackie play.. We went home dissapointed if he didnt score a hatrick..  ;)  Happy Birthday JS ..

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 11:35:08 AM »

Jackie was probably the greatest Alty player ever - due to his 84 goals in one season.
He did however play in a great side with some brilliant players, for example big Pat Connolly was a magnificent Centre Forward that created many of the goal opportunities for Jackie.

It was either 82 or 86 depending on who you speak to! (I always favoured the 86 ;))
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

JackSwindells No 1 Fan

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 08:29:35 PM »

Great to see all these posts... keep it up and lets get a card to Jack by the 12th with these printed in it.

Graham/Ecky can you fix? It's a bit difficult from NG12

Alex

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 10:29:36 PM »

from main site:

Altrincham FC press release:
Goalscoring legend Jackie Swindells will be special guest of honour at Moss Lane on Saturday after accepting an invitation to share his 72nd birthday weekend with Altrincham supporters, players and officials. The most lethal finisher in the club's history will be 72 next Sunday and needed no persuading to launch the celebrations by travelling north to attend Saturday's Blue Square Conference game against Kidderminster.

There was an understandable air of excitement around the club at the prospect of playing host to a striker who once scored five goals in an FA Cup tie - a 6-0 first-round thrashing of Scarborough - and seven in a game against Chester Reserves. 'Once we realised we were at home on the same weekend as Jackie's birthday, we just thought it would be great to see him again,' said vice-chairman Grahame Rowley. 'I contacted Jean Prince, who is a friend of both the club and Jackie, and she came back with the great news that he would be honoured and delighted to attend. We are just as delighted, because, young or old, everyone knows about Jackie's phenomenal exploits back in the 60s. His record is the stuff of legends, it really is, yet you couldn't wish to meet a more unassuming character. It will be lovely to meet up again'.

The Manchester-born England Youth international scored goals for Blackburn, Accrington and Barnsley, among others, before joining Alty towards the end of the 1964-65 season. The 28-year old made an immediate impact, by scoring four times in 10 games, but no one was quite prepared for what happened in his first full season (1965-66), as he plundered an astonishing 82 goals in 63 appearances.

Strike partner Pat Connolly had every right to reflect with pride on his 34-goal return but found himself somewhat overshadowed as Swindells racked up an amazing six hat-tricks. A further 12 followed during a six-year reign that brought him silverware every season and an overall tally of 265 goals from 317 (+5) appearances. Look out for more details during the week of the club's plans for Jackie's special visit

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 08:40:50 AM »

great news that JS will be at the Kiddy game next Saturday..  Oh for a striker half as good as he was in the team right now..

Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team