PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Nightmares On Moss Lane: Alty's heaviest home defeats
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Nightmares On Moss Lane: Alty's heaviest home defeats  (Read 5418 times)

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Nightmares On Moss Lane: Alty's heaviest home defeats
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 04:16:29 PM »

Cult puts things in perspective.  Take the Mossley defeat in particular - Alty were flying high at the top of the APL, were unbeaten at home all season, had knocked two league sides out of the FA Cup and were unlucky not to beat Orient at Moss Lane and Mossley turn up and trounce us.  I felt like we were the worst team in the world (just as I did after a spineless defeat at Barnet, being outmuscled at Nuneaton and relying on Colin D'arcy to gift Worcester and Telford the points in the same season).

A couple of days later we slaughtered Barnet 7-0 with Graham Barrow putting in one of the unmistakeably great midfield performances EVER by an Alty player.

Here are some things I consider to be likely:

1) we will not go down - we are still capable of picking up wins (Weymouth, Nantwich - albeit not the strongest opponents), we are close to the finishing line (not many more points needed), there are a lot of clubs below us ALL of whom would need to start winning and the AGM cup is going to be a knock out event this year there are so many entrants.

2) We have played good football this season and our position reflects that - we have looked like a conference side for most of the season: don't underestimate the fact that we belong here now

3) Even on a much reduced budget, I believe we can survive in the Alliance next season.  There are many clubs suffering far worse than us budgetarily and to give Graham his due we have been good at maximising our return on investment (compare our performance and league position with that of Northwich Victorai and compare the difference in resources between the two teams).

We have had a good season, we are still in good shape financially, we are responding proactively to the threat of the credit crunch and in stead of being releived we are doing the typical (5-1 to Mossley bloody hell) Alty fans beating ourselves up.

Let's finish the season with a smile and look forward to tacking next season on a much reduced budget - we will have one hand tied behind our backs but there will be other teams in strait jackets submerged upside down in a barrel of pirahnas.

All the things I was attempting to say in another thread, but far less eloquently. I really must learn to read through my messages before posting...a bit of proof reading wouldn't go amiss (but that seems far too serious for such a forum).

Very well said Sir...have an upbeat Goodwin.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 04:18:34 PM by Uncle Globnasty »
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

markecky

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 09:51:01 AM »

Cult puts things in perspective.  Take the Mossley defeat in particular - Alty were flying high at the top of the APL, were unbeaten at home all season, had knocked two league sides out of the FA Cup and were unlucky not to beat Orient at Moss Lane and Mossley turn up and trounce us.  I felt like we were the worst team in the world (just as I did after a spineless defeat at Barnet, being outmuscled at Nuneaton and relying on Colin D'arcy to gift Worcester and Telford the points in the same season).

A couple of days later we slaughtered Barnet 7-0 with Graham Barrow putting in one of the unmistakeably great midfield performances EVER by an Alty player.

1) we will not go down - we are still capable of picking up wins (Weymouth, Nantwich - albeit not the strongest opponents), we are close to the finishing line (not many more points needed), there are a lot of clubs below us ALL of whom would need to start winning and the AGM cup is going to be a knock out event this year there are so many entrants.

2) We have played good football this season and our position reflects that - we have looked like a conference side for most of the season: don't underestimate the fact that we belong here now

3) Even on a much reduced budget, I believe we can survive in the Alliance next season.  There are many clubs suffering far worse than us budgetarily and to give Graham his due we have been good at maximising our return on investment (compare our performance and league position with that of Northwich Victorai and compare the difference in resources between the two teams).

We have had a good season, we are still in good shape financially, we are responding proactively to the threat of the credit crunch and in stead of being releived we are doing the typical (5-1 to Mossley bloody hell) Alty fans beating ourselves up.

Let's finish the season with a smile and look forward to tacking next season on a much reduced budget - we will have one hand tied behind our backs but there will be other teams in strait jackets submerged upside down in a barrel of pirahnas.

Best post on here for many months....takes the sting out of the hysteria of Saturday

Number23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 10:32:29 PM »

Great post!
We're in a better position all round than we were at probably any point last season and will be a lot better off next season than a lot of clubs in this league.

The chairman's concerns over the clubs financial position are understandable in the current climate and nothing more or less than we should expect from someone who has worked so hard with the rest of the board to get the club on a sound financial footing.
We should be glad he cares enough to be concerned unlike so many others in his position.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 05:24:07 PM »

Also 0-4 vs Man Ciddy (1969?)

PS: 'friendly' so perhaps why you didn't include it!

Saughall Robin,

That particular friendly against Man City was played on 12th December 1966.

You are older than you look (the red wine is obviously preserving your vitality!).

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 09:58:42 PM »

Also 0-4 vs Man Ciddy (1969?)

PS: 'friendly' so perhaps why you didn't include it!

Saughall Robin,

That particular friendly against Man City was played on 12th December 1966.

You are older than you look (the red wine is obviously preserving your vitality!).

Yes, you're right Cult. It was during the year when we retained the CCL title.

And thanks for the compliment, I'll keep taking the medicine ::)  In my defence,

1. I was only 16 then,

2. My brain is full of other stuff at the moment and ,

3. With not many cells to spare for memory, I bow to your records!  ;)

Heaven knows what my memory will be like when I reach my 'half century' as a fan in another 6 years or so!

PS: I can't look as young as all that as I got in the prensioners entrance at Witton and they never batter an eyelid (unless I looked under 16?)  ;D
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Nightmares On Moss Lane: Alty's heaviest home defeats