PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Free Season Tickets for Children ?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Free Season Tickets for Children ?  (Read 3996 times)

Scottie

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« on: January 14, 2009, 10:29:42 AM »

This morning (Wednesday) there has been a debate on radio 5 live about clubs offering free season tickets to children. Many clubs have found that as a result fee paying parents come along with them  who in turn utilise the clubs bars, buy programmes,use on site catering etc. I know that the coupons from the leisure centre have been withdrawn but  I feel that this new idea being adopted by many clubs could be one worth considering by Alty.

crossie

Re: Free Season Tickets for Children ?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 04:40:25 PM »

The amount of money raised from this idea, at a club of our size will be minimal. Would probably work at a league 1 club where the attendences are well over 6,000 per game, but for a conference side with average attendence of 1,200 i dont think it will happen.
I would prefer kids to be charged a smaller gate fee, or have another reduction on a season ticket price for all kids 3-12 pay £24 per year and under 16s pay £50 or something, rather then giving away things for free.
The only way we are really going to encourage more supporter revenue is when we are a regular mid-tabled out fit, and people don't mid paying the prices to come and watch. Our history over the past 3 years doen't help the cause in attracting new supporters.

Number23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 05:58:41 PM »

The thing which is rarely taken into account in this is potential future income.
The immediate income is probably minimal is as you say but, as we should know, football supporters tend to be a very tribal and (often inexplicably) loyal bunch.
A free season ticket to an under-12 now could be a full season ticket every year in 5 or 10 years time.
So long as those free tickets don't really cost the club anything then it's a bet to nothing. If it generates a little bit of money now with the potential for more in the future then it's a real banker.

The only teams this wouldn't benefit are the ones who have full grounds every week and a backlog of people wanting season tickets.

Or am I wrong?

Narcissist

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 06:01:59 PM »

It would be better if we gave any parent who buys an adult season ticket a free kids season ticket if they have any under 16's.

Or even if we just let any kids accompanied by an adult in for free. Plenty of dads can give mum an afternoon or evening off then, and  it beats the sh1t out of taking them to mcdonalds.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 06:09:27 PM »

Some 24 years later I am here because of free tickets given at school
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 08:01:35 PM »

You MUST have used nearly all of them by now, surely?  :D
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Jenga

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 08:08:24 PM »

Ageed, same here (+ my dad taking me).

markecky

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 08:56:02 PM »

and me...a free ticket in 1986 ruined my life.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 08:57:25 PM »

Bloody hell, am I the only person on here who didn't get a free ticket as a kid? bloody Willows Primary School has a lot to answer for ???

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 09:00:43 PM »

I started watching Alty through me dad but it was free tickets during 2nd year at BTH that really got me hooked...though that was the championship year!!!
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

Altyant

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 09:33:29 PM »

Bloody hell, am I the only person on here who didn't get a free ticket as a kid? bloody Willows Primary School has a lot to answer for ???

I didnt have any either, although I was a late mover to Alty

Narcissist

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 10:33:02 PM »

It was the free tickets in SAM in the early nineties that got me going week in and week out, and a fair few others too that I know of.

Its pretty daft really, cos it was only 2 quid to get in anyway. But I guess 20 fags was only 2 quid as well, and it was 13p on the bus. Inflations a tw@t!

Dougals Dad

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 11:20:50 PM »

It was the free tickets in SAM in the early nineties that got me going week in and week out, and a fair few others too that I know of.

Its pretty daft really, cos it was only 2 quid to get in anyway. But I guess 20 fags was only 2 quid as well, and it was 13p on the bus. Inflations a tw@t!

I remember bus travel for kids at 2p

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 08:37:37 AM »

My first (under 16) season ticket cost 2 Guineas! Fantastic value ... Works out at 5p per game for the first team matches plus 5p for all the reserve games put together!

But I was gutted the year after when I had to pay the adult price!  -  4 Guineas for 21 league games (and the reserves games in the Manchester League, of course)

No free tickets for me - I had to pay my way  ::) :D
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Lew Needham

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 11:48:06 AM »

Yeah same here. i went a few times with my grandad in the Showler/Mckenna days but started going properley around 1993 with the Messenger tickets. Then over the years i've dragged many a friend along with me, generating much revenue for the club.

Thinking long term it is such a good idea to give kids discounted or free tickets, the club will reap the benefits in the future!!
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team