News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Fixture Pile up

Author Topic: Fixture Pile up  (Read 3446 times)

Jimbo Alty FC

Fixture Pile up
« on: January 05, 2009, 07:50:39 PM »

Fixture Pile up effected Rangers push for trophies last season was hampered by fixture congestion at the end of there campaign. With three games off already and Temperatures dropping to - 6oC tonight there looks like more games could be called off. A suggestion i had is if any one can get there hands on any Covers to protect the pitch so we can prevent the risk of fixture congestion. It would be awful to see the lads hard work early in the season go to waste due to a bit of a chill

andrewflynn

Re: Fixture Pile up
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 08:12:46 PM »

covering the pitch is a fair idea actually.

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 08:24:50 PM »

I might have missed something here, but the the next home game isn't for 3 weeks is it?

No doubt winter will be over by this time next week.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

Dougals Dad

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 12:18:21 AM »

Fixture Pile up effected Rangers push for trophies last season was hampered by fixture congestion at the end of there campaign. With three games off already and Temperatures dropping to - 6oC tonight there looks like more games could be called off. A suggestion i had is if any one can get there hands on any Covers to protect the pitch so we can prevent the risk of fixture congestion. It would be awful to see the lads hard work early in the season go to waste due to a bit of a chill

Minus 60centigrade?!?

If you want to see the effects of fixture congestion I can think of no better example than Alty in '91

Narcissist

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 10:45:07 AM »

I seem to remember BPA having to play us on a Saturday after playing on the Friday night back in the Unibond years.

Scottie

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 11:23:53 AM »

Thinking of going to Mansfield on Saturday but forecast doesn't look good as it looks like it could be another frozen pitch. Add this game to the pile up if the forecasters are right.

Jimbo Alty FC

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 05:36:08 PM »

I've said that all week scottie mate season looks set to run into May at least it will if the Confrence want good quality football played and not a load of knackered players walking round footie pitches. As for winter been over in a week when were only in january and Temperatures not getting above 0oC this looks like a good call that we get set for a extended season.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 12:00:07 AM »

I've said that all week scottie mate season looks set to run into May at least it will if the Confrence want good quality football played and not a load of knackered players walking round footie pitches. As for winter been over in a week when were only in january and Temperatures not getting above 0oC this looks like a good call that we get set for a extended season.

Scottie mate season? The mind boggles!

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 08:27:20 PM »

season looks set to run into May at least it will if the Confrence want good quality football played and not a load of knackered players walking round footie pitches.

Yeah, you can just picture it can't you! After 6 games in a fortnight, Alty make the season-ending trip to Cambridge United. Somehow the fixture backlog has rendered all 22 players incapable of running, or even jogging. The game is almost literally a chess match, players walking as quickly as their tired limbs will allow. 20 minutes to go and they are dropping like flies - the pitch is strewn with the prostrate bodies of players who are physically unable to continue. How the conference chiefs now wish they had played on until June to allow these poor fellows to maintain full fitness.

If any club ever has a fixture backlog as bad as ours in April 1991 I will be more than surprised. However, as tired as those players were, they still managed a bit of running in the last few games.

Come on Alty!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 08:34:58 PM »

season looks set to run into May at least it will if the Confrence want good quality football played and not a load of knackered players walking round footie pitches.

Yeah, you can just picture it can't you! After 6 games in a fortnight, Alty make the season-ending trip to Cambridge United. Somehow the fixture backlog has rendered all 22 players incapable of running, or even jogging. The game is almost literally a chess match, players walking as quickly as their tired limbs will allow. 20 minutes to go and they are dropping like flies - the pitch is strewn with the prostrate bodies of players who are physically unable to continue. How the conference chiefs now wish they had played on until June to allow these poor fellows to maintain full fitness.

If any club ever has a fixture backlog as bad as ours in April 1991 I will be more than surprised. However, as tired as those players were, they still managed a bit of running in the last few games.

I would argue that our fixture backlog towards the end of the 1981/82 season was actually even worse than in 1990/91!

However, we weren't in with a chance of winning the league in April & May 1982.....but we did have the FA Trophy final on the horizon.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 08:36:24 PM »

Only just.

I would just like to point out that in just under the next 5 months we will only be required to play 21 league games. We won't be playing any extra cup ties bar maybe 2 or 3 Cheshire Cup ones.

I may be missing something completely here but we are not going to have a fixture pile up at all. Last season we played 25 games after new year (23 from todays date).

There are always one or two weeks a year when there is a postponement or two. This winter has been pretty mild, I've barely had to get the de-icer out at all until this week. I don't think the cold snap is going to last til mid Feb.

Get a grip guys.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 08:43:08 PM »

Only just.

I would just like to point out that in just under the next 5 months we will only be required to play 21 league games. We won't be playing any extra cup ties bar maybe 2 or 3 Cheshire Cup ones.

I may be missing something completely here but we are not going to have a fixture pile up at all. Last season we played 25 games after new year (23 from todays date).

There are always one or two weeks a year when there is a postponement or two. This winter has been pretty mild, I've barely had to get the de-icer out at all until this week. I don't think the cold snap is going to last til mid Feb.

Get a grip guys.

Famous last words... ;)

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 10:54:39 PM »

Only just.

Get a grip guys.

Have the Cheshire F.A. got a bonus match up their sleeves ???

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 12:00:25 AM »

Only just.

Get a grip guys.

Have the Cheshire F.A. got a bonus match up their sleeves ???

Brian,

It's the Cheshire FA's equivalent of the Premier League's proposed '39th game'.

Alty will play Nantwich Town in Tokyo or Beijing for the benefit of a massive global television audience.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Fixture Pile up