News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Newcastle Blue Star...... What i have discovered

Author Topic: Newcastle Blue Star...... What i have discovered  (Read 4575 times)

Alex

« on: October 13, 2008, 03:59:10 PM »

Since we have not played them before, I thought i would search the net (because work is dead) and find some info on them.

Acording to Wikipedia (don't take as gospel)

Newcastle Blue Star F.C. is a football club based in Newcastle upon Tyne, England. They were established in 1930 and joined the Wearside League in 1973. In 1978, they won the FA Vase. They are currently members of the Northern Premier League Division One North. One of Blue Star's most notable former players is Andy Morrell who has now made a name for himself in the professional game.

History

Formed in 1930 as Newcastle Blue Star, the club was entered into the Newcastle Business Houses League two years later. The club would play in this league for six seasons before moving onto the North East Amateur League. Spells in the Tyneside Amateur League and Northern Combination would follow.

In 1973, under the name Blue Star Welfare, the club had advanced to the Wearside League. It was crowned champions during its first season in the league. It repeated the success in the 1975-76 season adding the championship to its name again. It also achieved victory in the FA Vase, beating Barton Rovers at Wembley 2-1.

By the 1979 season, the club was named simply Blue Star. The early 1980s was a successful time for the club. It won the Wearside League in three consecutive seasons. Around this time it also reached the First Round proper of the FA Cup, knocked out by York City, losing 2-0 at Bootham Crescent.

Northern League era

The club entered into the Northern League Division Two for the 1985-86 season, emphatically winning it. It won 36 out of 38 games, only dropping points in two games (one a draw, the other a loss). Also in that season, the club scored a very high 133 goals. In 1986, the name was reverted to the original title: Newcastle Blue Star.

Newcastle Blue Star had moved up to the Northern League Division One and came very close to winning it in 1987-88. By the early 1990s, the club had a slump in the league, finishing generally in the lower half of the table. From 1994 until 1998, the club was known as RTM Newcastle, soon changing it back to Newcastle Blue Star.

The club was relegated to Division Two for the 1999-00 season, but bounced straight back up with a runners-up spot. Unable to regain the form of previous years, Newcastle spent three seasons in the lower regions of the table, the last of which was a bottom place finish and subsequent relegation.

In 2004-05, Newcastle Blue Star was promoted into the Northern League Division One after ending the season in third place. Under the management of Eric Tait, Blue Star had a fantastic return to Division One, winning it for the first time and also completing the double by winning the Northern League Cup. Unfortunately for the club, it was not promoted because their Wheatsheaf Ground did not reach league standards.

Recent times

It was announced that as of the 2007-08 season, Blue Star will share the 10,200 capacity Kingston Park stadium with rugby side Newcastle Falcons. The ground change allowed the club to progress to the Northern Premier League Division One North which stands at level 8 on the football pyramid.

In September 2007, Tommy Cassidy was appointed manager, joining from Workington. As of March 2008, Workington were still claiming £10,000 compensation

On 8 March 2008, Newcastle Blue Star asked the FA if they could take the place of the relegated team in the league. The reason being that the costs of playing in this division were too high, and this could be due to the fact that they are the only Newcastle based team in the division, and at least 9 of the opposing teams are in the Manchester area, meaning the team have to pay for a coach to every away game, and paying costs for the visitors at a home game. The Northern League (the feeder division that Newcastle came from) had said that they would welcome the team back. This was confirmed on the 26 March that Blue Star would be relegated in place of the bottom placed team in the league. However on the 4 April it was announced that the league allowed Blue Star to stay in the Northern Premier League as they had withdrawn their request.

On 26th March 2008, the club announced Paul Baker as the club's new manager. He succeeded Tommy Cassidy who left the club to pursue management at a higher level than the proposed drop back to Northern League offered.

On Wednesday 9th April, 2008, Newcastle Blue Star scored two goals in the first 47 seconds of their 3-0 win over Bamber Bridge. This is believed to be a world record.

Honours

FA Vase

Winners: 1977-78

Northern League Division One
Champions: 2005-06
Runners-up: 1987-88

Northern League Division Two
Champions: 1985-86
Runners-up: 1999-2000
Promoted: 2004-05

Northern League Cup
Winners: 1985-86, 2005-06
Runners-up: 1990-91

Wearside League
Winners: 1973-74, 1975-76, 1982-83, 1983-84, 1984-85
Runner-up: 1974-75, 1977-78, 1979-80

The Gaffer (Steve Bowey)

Bowey joined York City from Queen of the South in June 2006, after York had initially played down reports that he was set to join them.

Bowey scored his first goal for York City against Stevenage Borough on 15 August 2006 in a 2-1 win for York, which turned out to be the winning goal. Bowey was released by York City at the end of the 2006-07 season on 16 May 2007.

Bowey rejoined Gateshead on 17 May 2007 following his release by York City. After captaining Gateshead to promotion from the Northern Premier League via the play-offs, he failed to agree terms for the following season and was released. He joined Newcastle Blue Star F.C. for the 2008–09 season. He was appointed as the club's player-manager in August after player-coaches Dean Gordon and Mark Birch left the club.

Kingston Park (stadium) Capacity 10,200

Kingston Park is a multi-use stadium in Kingston Park, Newcastle upon Tyne, England. It is currently used mostly for rugby union matches and is the home stadium of Newcastle Falcons. The stadium is also used for the Newcastle United Reserves to play their home matches, and from the 2007-08 season, will be home to Newcastle Blue Star, a semi-professional football team.

The stadium has a capacity of 10,200 people. The stadium was built in stages, with the West Stand being the newest and most modern. There are plans to expand the exposed North Stand to give more protection from the elements and to provide more facilities for the fans. The South Stand (John Smith's stand) is all standing but it has good protection from the elements and many facilities for the fans underneath the stand.

The nearest Tyne and Wear Metro station is the Bank Foot station.

The stadium is currently owned by the Northern Rock bank, who purchased it in 2007 for £15 million.

fuertes

Re: Newcastle Blue Star...... What i have discovered
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 04:22:18 PM »

You could've posted a link to wikipedia  ::)

Alex

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 04:27:29 PM »

but this killed more time  ;)

fuertes

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 04:37:54 PM »

but this killed more time  ;)

Gotcha...in that case, fair play!  ;D

bighairedmike

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 04:43:19 PM »

And if it avoided work you probably typed it all out yourself didnt you instead of copying and pasting... ;)

Alex

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 04:45:46 PM »

And if it avoided work you probably typed it all out yourself didnt you instead of copying and pasting... ;)

no  ::)  ;D

cheeky trucker

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 06:04:51 PM »

And I believe ex-Vics hot shot Paul Brayson is plying his trade there ...... and apparently banging in the goals.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team