Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Nominations for the most spine tingling Alty moment.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Nominations for the most spine tingling Alty moment.  (Read 14302 times)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: October 07, 2008, 01:39:57 PM »

I'll put a poll up later but just for now some brief suggestions for the most magical Alty moment you personally remember. It's hard with so many memories and I'm sure more will come intime that you can add on here but what has been your most spine/tingling magical Alty moment.

It doesn't necessarily have to be the most famous. for example, despite having seeen us beat Birmingham and win at Wembley amongst others the best I have ever felt at an Alty  game was when Ken McKenna scored a winner against Kettering in January 1991, an epic game having thrown away a 2 goal lead as we had a week or so earlier v Colchester United (that reminds me). When Kenny rounded the keeper to make it 3-2 it was special, I can never remember the ground feeling quite like that, it had been at the Leek game that I realised we had something special going on but that was THE moment.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Nominations for the most spine tingling Alty moment.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 02:33:31 PM »

I agree with your view that it's not always the big games that are the most spine tingling but special mention must go to John Hughes firing us ahead at Goodison Park.  And to Jeff's equaliser at White Hart Lane.

The 5-4 against Mossley was special.

The first two games at Weymouth - both 0-0 - in the Trophy and the inaugural game in the APL were magic.

And more recently during the Conference North season when I suddenly realised that we had an attacking team capable of playing attractive football - it might even have been at the 2-1 defeat at Hinckley.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 02:39:03 PM »

Perhaps not the greatest or most famous night in Alty history, but the cup reply win at Lancaster did it for me. The manner of the win coming from a goal down, the manner in which Lancaster fell apart, Lee Poland's hatrick and going in the wrong end by mistake and being the only person that end celebrating his wonder goal.

thegazelle

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 02:52:02 PM »

the late winner against southport in 78 stands out in my mind.
being born in blackpool made those two special but for shear joy & hysteria

its

heathcotes goal against sheff utd

Jacko

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 03:31:36 PM »

Clive Freeman against Chester for me, i didnt know non league players could strike a ball that well and that hard from that distance,

a wonderful feeling as it gradually gained height and then crashed into the bar and dug into the mud at the back of the goal in front of me, unforgetable
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 03:34:26 PM by Jacko »

Alty TV

• Regular First Team
  • Alty TV
    • View Profile
    • Alty TV
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 03:52:27 PM »

Barry Howard's goal at Rotherham - a mazy run and a great finish from the edge of the box.

But apart from goals, watching Alty walk out onto the Anfield pitch alongside the likes of Dalglish was pretty spine tingling

The final whistle at the end of the Birmingham game and then watching the Birmingham fans (after booing their own team off) turn to applaud the Alty players and fans.

...and playing in a supporters match against the FA trophy winning side and getting booted three foot into the air by Kingy - it wasn't just my spine that was tingling when I hit the floor!

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 03:58:47 PM »

no big surprise for those that know me, its rotherham the second time
rotherham 0-5 was one of my first games so to go back there and destroy them 3 years later was brilliant. the best moment for me though was stepneys penalty save at 2-0. the chanting of his name straight after was the loudest i have ever heard alty sing and was spine tingling in the extreme

its a thing about penalty saves isnt it? you go from right down to right up in a second and it can really affect the missing team

Jacko

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 04:03:55 PM »

no big surprise for those that know me, its rotherham the second time
rotherham 0-5 was one of my first games so to go back there and destroy them 3 years later was brilliant. the best moment for me though was stepneys penalty save at 2-0. the chanting of his name straight after was the loudest i have ever heard alty sing and was spine tingling in the extreme

its a thing about penalty saves isnt it? you go from right down to right up in a second and it can really affect the missing team
Good point about the missed pens here Jim, there seem to be a lot of juicy challenges after them thats for sure

andrewflynn

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 04:26:58 PM »

wish i was around back then.

5v0 against Cambridge was good. Thornley's against Northwich in the 3v0 win.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 04:59:29 PM »

Two games that stick out are Bradford Park Avenue away 2-1 (Thornley scores late late late on)
and also Bamber Bridge away when they scored an own goal (first time I ever went on the pitch at a game)

Narcissist

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 05:06:19 PM »

Shaun Constable's goal against Spurs. Quickly followed by utter dismay as it was chalked off for threesomes foul throw.

When we scored two quick goals against nunny in the cup a few years back at Moss Lane. I was still celebrating 2-1 when we bagged the third, just turned round in time to see it go in, think it was Thornley, although it could have been Hulme. I can never remember the order.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 05:14:11 PM »

Mine was stood in a pub in Tottenham singing were simply the best by Tina Turner which (if i remember correctly) Jimmy put on and we changed the words to incorparate Alty.

At the end of the song a Tottenham fan informed us that if we had been any team but Alty we would all be lying in a pool of our own blood and wished us luck :)
ParkINson's red and white army

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 05:17:28 PM »

Shaun Constable's goal against Spurs. Quickly followed by utter dismay as it was chalked off for threesomes foul throw.

Not the curly-haired one but Andy Reid, surely...?!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 05:19:56 PM »

Mine was stood in a pub in Tottenham singing were simply the best by Tina Turner which (if i remember correctly) Jimmy put on and we changed the words to incorparate Alty.

At the end of the song a Tottenham fan informed us that if we had been any team but Alty we would all be lying in a pool of our own blood and wished us luck :)

OCG it was Andy Reid's  alleged foulthrow.

You're right about that Spurs pub though Wayne, I think as it actually turns out it is one of the main Spurs lads pubs on the infamous Broadwater Farm estate. They were utterly amazed/bemused at us having the bollocks/naivety to even step foot in there, no away fans had dared set foot in there for years.

Luckily us singing "Cantona eats garlic, Giggs is f***ing queer, we are Alty FC, we're only after beer!" was soemthing they found hilarious and confirmed that we weren't a load of United fans, so we got away with it. Close stuff though.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 05:21:14 PM »

Ballers,

This question needs some intensive pondering.....but I am tempted to nominate the edge-of-the-seat excitement created by watching you participate in the Blue Square 'keepie uppie' competition during the half-time interval last Saturday.....
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team