PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Yesterday
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Yesterday  (Read 8620 times)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Yesterday
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2008, 04:58:02 PM »

but the Conference National is a league too far.

Because it's full time you mean?

Of course he's coached in this league before you know. And we did alright in 1991 as I remember it.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2008, 05:05:16 PM »

Time to take of your rose tinted spectacles and stop your brown-tonguing!

More intelligent comment!

I said it's early days and I stand by that, I consider it a perfectly reasonable position.

Feel free to respond with more of the same, or even some serious points.

Or,

I understand your frustration, but let's get behind the team, and get behind the manager, and see if they can turn it around. You never know, after all, at this stage last season we had 3 points from ten matches and then went on to get about 12 from the next nine.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2008, 05:06:38 PM »

Of course he's coached in this league before you know. And we did alright in 1991 as I remember it.

Yes....and we got relegated from the Conference when he was the assistant manager/coach in the 1996/97 season.

I believe that the correct mantra to trot out at this point is: " The past does not equal the future"....?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2008, 05:08:14 PM »

Some of the posts at the top are truly unbelievable and must surely have been written by fans of other clubs out on the mischief

Yes of course everyone who disagrees with you can't possibly be an Alty fan as no reasonable or intelligent person could seriously take another view.

Or - I understand your frustration but get behind the team etc. etc.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2008, 05:15:41 PM »

This was supposed to be the season that we had a full pre-season's preparation and had cleared our debts and as a result had a solid season.

I think one of the points about not having a full preseason was that it made it more difficult to get the players we wanted. Now we have the players (more or less) so I say give it a bit longer and see if they start to perform. Elam was certainly much better I thought (and remember he wasn't properly fit to start with.

And to be fair, we are in a better position than at this stage last season. Worth stating that we're level with big spending Oxford. Also worth pointing out Forest Green 0 Stevenage 3. That's three in a row for them now, and Harvey and Clough are hardly mugs.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2008, 05:24:49 PM »

Yes....and we got relegated from the Conference when he was the assistant manager/coach in the 1996/97 season.

In the wake of Maunders pulling out you mean? Dark days indeed, and I'd hate to return to the Unibond or Conference North. To be fair he made up for it didn't he. And I can honestly say thatstaying in the Conference is all it has ever been about for me and personally, if I thought Mark "white or brown" Ward was the man to keep us in the Conference I would take it.

Anything else apart from that one season (and a couple of slow starts with a dozen new player)?

PS Stevenage 4 Burton 1 - so obviously Clough (son of a better manager than Fergy) is rubbish aswell.

While I'm here, weren't Droylsden a bit of a pub team? And 3-2 last season turned out to be the start of a decent run.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2008, 07:56:23 PM »

I' m sorry but using 1991 as a defence for GH in 2008 is barrel scraping of the highest order.

Altyant

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2008, 09:56:06 PM »

Very good posts,i was feeling really annoyed over some of the writings on the forum of late.We have 2 wins 3 draws and 5 defeats so far this season,which is not bad against fulltime teams in the main,the only result that i am really disapointed in is the Barrow one.Lets Stop this bickering get behind the team and see what happens.

I know what you mean we'd have been out of the bottom four had we got something against Barrow & the events of saturday would probably never have happenend

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2008, 11:12:42 PM »

In the wake of Maunders pulling out you mean?

Incorrect.
Maunders took his ball home at the end of the 1994/95 season.

The 1996/97 season saw us finish bottom of the Conference whilst establishing an appalling disciplinary record.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 11:19:15 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

markecky

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2008, 11:23:17 PM »

Incorrect.

The 1996/97 season saw us finish bottom of the Conference whilst establishing an appalling disciplinary record.

The 7-1 away defeat at Woking was a highlight for me

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2008, 11:34:26 PM »

Incorrect.

The 7-1 away defeat at Woking was a highlight for me

In Hugh's world, that would solely have been the fault of John King.

markecky

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2008, 11:43:08 PM »

and if we had won 7-1?...
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Yesterday