PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Joe O'Neil
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Joe O'Neil  (Read 6147 times)

Narcissist

Re: Joe O'Neil
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 05:05:36 PM »

I wouldn't get too excited if I were you.

Of the 16 goals that O'Neill has managed to score during his career with Alty to date, five of them have come in the Cheshire Senior Cup (31.25%).

We obviously need to save him for all CSC matches....and, possibly, the Northwich away league game?

What would be more telling, is if we tally up how many goals the team scores when he's on the pitch compared to when he isn't. I tried to look at this last night but last seasons line-ups havent been added to the archive yet (as far as i can see).

Im not for starting Joe every game, but I do think he should be playing more.

This of course could be complete coincidence.

If he was a goalkeeper.

Altyant

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 09:52:26 PM »

I wouldn't get too excited if I were you.

Of the 16 goals that O'Neill has managed to score during his career with Alty to date, five of them have come in the Cheshire Senior Cup (31.25%).

We obviously need to save him for all CSC matches....and, possibly, the Northwich away league game?

What would be more telling, is if we tally up how many goals the team scores when he's on the pitch compared to when he isn't. I tried to look at this last night but last seasons line-ups havent been added to the archive yet (as far as i can see).

Im not for starting Joe every game, but I do think he should be playing more.

This of course could be complete coincidence.

If he was a goalkeeper.

Ive said before on here, if Joe was to score a hat trick against every game he still wouldnt get any credit (dons tin hat)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 09:59:52 AM »

He would if he did - but he won't, especially against BSP opposition
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Narcissist

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 12:41:23 PM »

Given our position and the lacklustre attitude of the team i'd say that now was a good time to have someone on the pitch who gives it 110%, even if he's not the best player on the pitch. We need someone with a bit of an inspiring work rate.

Start joe and warren against lewes and at least battle to a victory.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 02:47:46 PM »

Despite my reservations re his ability, I agree with you
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 07:01:32 PM »

As for why Senior hasn't been playing more - injury problems I believe.

As for O'Neil - at the moment it would seem that confidence and commitment are at a premium. Which is why I wouldn't be surprised to see Joe involved on Saturday. Also I remember the quote - we always seem to score when Joe is on the pitch. And I can see why, he makes a nuisance of himself in a Heskey sort of way.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 07:05:55 PM »

As for why Senior hasn't been playing more - injury problems I believe.

As for O'Neil - at the moment it would seem that confidence and commitment are at a premium. Which is why I wouldn't be surprised to see Joe involved on Saturday. Also I remember the quote - we always seem to score when Joe is on the pitch. And I can see why, he makes a nuisance of himself in a Heskey sort of way.

Yes, he did against Crawley and was promptly sent off ! I had a very sore throat the next day after shouting my opinions at that tosser of a manager.

I personally think he should get a start Saturday

Altyant

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 09:39:25 PM »

He would if he did - but he won't, especially against BSP opposition

Maybe, maybe not but if hes left out we'll never know.

According to someone who came up with a few stats earlier in the thread, over 60% of his goals for us have some in the BSP. Currently it seems like he is one of the few that seem up for it. I know it was 'only' Vauxhall Motors apparently, but how many goals did Little and Denham score, having had the benefit of starting the match?

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2008, 01:38:09 PM »

Here's a thought, Vauxhall lost their last match 4-0 and then drew at BSP Alty. Just maybe we can show a similar improvement in our next match.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2008, 03:48:41 PM »

Here's a thought, Vauxhall lost their last match 4-0 and then drew at BSP Alty. Just maybe we can show a similar improvement in our next match.

I'm beginning to think there is some sort of bizarre genetic experiment going on here. Hugh logic at its finest.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2008, 04:02:46 PM »

Or an alternate view is that Vauxhall lost to a bsn team 4-0 and had a number of first teamers abscent through injury and we drew 2-2 with them
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Alty365

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2008, 04:13:59 PM »

There is no logic to this at all!!!!!
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Joe O'Neil