PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Favorite Heathcote moment
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Favorite Heathcote moment  (Read 3770 times)

Jezza

Re: Favorite Heathcote moment
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 09:14:54 AM »

A 'cote lazy wayward pass met by a cry from Rick of "Oh Good ball Heathcote!"....surpassing all previous uses of sarcasm......met by a v-sign from our then midfield maestro.

Obviously the pen against Liverpool and the free kick V Winsford.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Heathcote moment
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 10:49:31 AM »

i wasn't born.. but i hear he was very good in the matches against tottenham, everton and liverpool.

I was at all five of those games (six if you count the Spurs game in later years).

I must say that although I don't really want him to go because, mainly I can't see a replacement who would improve matters or would probably care as much, I'm always surprised to hear people saying how great he was in his playing day for us.

My memories of that era was that he was good in possession, could distribute the ball well, had no pace and couldn't tackle but was great at set pieces. If we could be said to have had half a dozen attacking or midfield players in the first team in those days, he was probably sixth best.

Behind, for example, Graham Barrow or John Davison (playing wide midfield), Jeff Johnson, Barry Howard and Johnny Rogers. Not to mention Kingy of course.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Favorite Heathcote moment