News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 More of the same please Sir

Author Topic: More of the same please Sir  (Read 1368 times)

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: September 16, 2008, 04:17:05 PM »

Dear Uncle Globnasty,

Thankyou for your interesting post. To reply to your points...

Fair play for the response Hugh.

Quote from: Hugh
I like to think not. And having said that, I think a number of people are responding "emotionally" to a rare good beating and a run where we have (somehow) not scored for a while. I still think 9 games with mostly a new team is too short a time to judge. Let's wait and see if we regularly get beat by genuine bottom half teams (and I heard we were very unlucky to lose at Eastbourne although admittedly lose we did).

You really are missing the point here Hugh, it is NOT just one game against Stevenage and it's not even just this season. We were spineless for much of last season and it was only a handful of games (and a small handful at that) in which there was anything like shown. This is no flash in the pan reaction to one game.

To be fair someone used the word clueless. Fact. As I said, it is also three promotions in a row, and we would not have needed any of them if it was not for the FA's bizarre points deduction. Is this not true? And remember we were struggling against rtelegation from the NPL premier when he started here. Hardly down the pan if we're 21st (after nine games and a tough match) in the division above?

Fair enough, I did say the vast majority. Even out of those who may have used such words I think all would respect what GH has done for the club in the past, but there is NO ROOM for sentiment here. As regards the rest of above.....wtf???? How on earth can anyone translate being in a relegation place and then getting a reprieve at the AGM a promotion? Yes, the first points deduction was unwarranted, but even in your most warped imagination you can not say that's the reason we had two subsequent relegation seasons (because that's what they were). Yes, he did fantastically at bringing us out of the NPL, but past success at a lower level is no indicator of success at a higher level with a completely different playing field.

We wouldn't have been relegated if Halifax had not been overspending (probably). After ten games we had 3 points. If we had got 6 points, or nine (which we will hopefully have after ten matches this time) we would have stayed up comfortably. Fact. And I don't look on last season as a relegation either. Halifax deserved to go. 2.5% - what? And after all our work paying off our debt! It frigging crippled me!?

Possibly we wouldn't have been relegated if Halifax had not overspent, but staying up by 3 or even six points (great as that would be) can hardly be described as comfortable in anybody's book. You seem to miss the point here again it is not just about finishing above that line to most people. It is the way that we played for much of last season (and what's looking like more of the same this).

A world of difference between division 3 and pt conference too.

Once again it is about a style (or lack of in our case) of play. Most would agree we have a much improved squad this season....are they being used to the best of their ability? Are they being motivated to go out and put in fighting performances each week?

I was wrong last time (just). Things are better this time (fact). If it can be proven beyond reasonable doubt that a change will improve things then fair enough. Doubt remains. Wait a bit longer.

I feel a U2 moment coming on here...."How long to sing this song"

How are things better exactly Hugh? I just don't see it.  Let's take a closer look at that for a moment if you want to trumpet our start.
We have six points from 9 games this season. Last season at the same stage we had 9 points (from 3 wins).
We've played 3 out of the four promoted sides and only got one point from them. Not to mention the fact we've played two of the promoted sides from the season before. Hardly the cream of the division and the sort of teams we need to be beating if we are to stand any chance in this league. We'd only played two of the new sides at this stage last season.

As for not changing things until it can be proved beyond reasonable doubt that things will improve. Really Hugh? Would that be your philosophy for life? Never change anything, no matter how bad a situation may be, unless you can prove that it is going to make things better? Unless you have fantastic crystals Hugh (and I think you've already proved you don't) it is impossible to accurately predict the future. Once again I refer you to another example (extreme I know, but it should serve the point). If you are diagnosed with a terminal illness and are told by your doctor that there is nothing that can be done and then you hear of a doctor abroad who has developed a new and as yet untested remedy for your condition; do you say "oh no, that's not for me, not unless you can prove without any doubt that it will improve my condition" or do you say "let's give it a go, it may just save my life".

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: More of the same please Sir
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 04:18:29 PM »

Apologies for this starting a new thread, my logon timed out whilst replying to Hugh in another thread and it somehow generated a new thread when I logged back in.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team