PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Can we agree ......
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can we agree ......  (Read 4505 times)

The Fan

Can we agree ......
« on: September 03, 2008, 08:38:10 AM »

..... on a date where we are allowed to vent our unhappyness? I don't really want to bash GH (again) but after much optimism, we are now drifting towards another season of pain and are already on target for relegation - despite having what we all feel is a much better squad than before. Is it at all possible that GH simply cannot get the best out of them - even accounting for the lack of time they spend together at training etc?

I know we are only 7 games in but the signs are ominous.

Go on, bash me if you like but surely others share my disappointment?

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
Re: Can we agree ......
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 08:42:56 AM »

Barr Kidderminster we are losing by the odd goal. Teams don't gel over night and I am certainly not going to get upset after 7 games. If we were getting battered then yes I would be upset but we aren't... Last night I believe we were beaten by quite a long shot and on Saturday it was a 'wonder goal' ...

Jenga

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 08:54:50 AM »

The problem at present seems to be the lack of goals we are scoring.

It seems we have tightened up at the back though.

A difficult game for us on Saturday now against Salisbury. We really need something from this game otherwise we could easily end up in the bottom 4 come 4.45pm (plus injury time).

fuertes

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 09:10:50 AM »

we are now drifting towards another season of pain and are already on target for relegation

1. We're outside the relegation zone
2. We've played just seven games (more away than at home)
3. Many new faces means at times we'll look disjointed, but we need to give the players time to gel as a team

Please just give the team at least 'til Christmas and then take stock. We have the players to be fifth bottom or better, I'm sure of it.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 09:11:19 AM »

I think we have just been unlucky the last two games. I don't think anyone will complain when we get the odd goal due to a reckless challenge/handball later in the season though.

Things even themselves out, just not our luck at the moment...

You could say IF Coburn didn't miss the ball against Wrexham we'd have won

IF the Eastbourne keeper was blinded by sunlight one of those shots would have gone in

IF the ref had spotted the handball last night we'd possibly have drawn

Thats a possible 7 points

Later in the season we will gain 7 points that probably we shouldn't have gained...

I'm not getting upset this early on, Christmas for me is the indicator....

Narcissist

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 09:41:55 AM »

No time to panic yet, but its obviously a concern.

I wasnt so sure about this giving the team time to gel excuse. Almost every team in the league goes through similar squad changes every season so it should balance out early on. Even being part-time we should be ok after 7 games, unless of course we keep moving things round!

ATS mentioned something about every season alty have been good we've had a solid 11 that rarely changes. I think we need a stable midfield, 2 standout wingers (Elam, Denham?) and a good partnership in the middle. We can hit the panic button and change everything every time we get beat but then we'll never get going.

We need to field the same most effective 11 home and away whenever possible and let the players find their game and stay on it.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 10:00:04 AM »

Don't take too much from the first 6 or 7 games, it's a complete mash up as teams fly at each other adn start to gel, there are teams below expectations because of this but there are teams over performing as well who will drift down into our area.

fwiw - I think we're a lot better set up to play against 'conference' sides who pass the ball, i.e. the majority of them. The players we have now seem to struggle against the more direct sides and to an extent get dragged into their way of playing which doesn't suit us.

The Fan

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 10:48:42 AM »

we are now drifting towards another season of pain and are already on target for relegation

1. We're outside the relegation zone
2. We've played just seven games (more away than at home)
3. Many new faces means at times we'll look disjointed, but we need to give the players time to gel as a team

Please just give the team at least 'til Christmas and then take stock. We have the players to be fifth bottom or better, I'm sure of it.

What I meant is that points wise, we are on target to go down based on previous years. I also dislike this argument that it's only the first 7 games of the season. These games carry the same amount of points as the last 7 games. I am also pretty sure that other teams will be looking to gel as well. Whilst my post may have been a tad OTT having read it back, my concerns are the same.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 10:49:33 AM »

For what it's worth, I'm not going to get caught up in the Joe Strummer songsheet just yet. I didn't see any point in getting all optimistic before the season started as I did not foresee anything other than another long, hard season in and around the drop zone. I see no point in getting your knickers in a twist now either (unless you like a bit of wedgie wonder).

I made my views clear at the end of last season and they have not changed, but we have a lot of new additions to the squad and the best 11 has not been established yet. Seven games in is not the time to evaluate and make big decisions (although I wouldn't necessarily wait till Xmas either). Let's see how we do over the next 5-6 weeks.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Hemel Dave

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 12:00:01 PM »

I haven't been able to get to a game yet (Steveage will be my first of the season) but what worries me is that the points we have dropped have all been against teams that we should be targeting if we are going to avoid another relegation scrap.  Barrow, Kettering, Kidderminster, Eastbourne Histon - 1 point out of 15.  Apart from Wrexham we haven't played any of the so called big boys.  And the opening day euphoria at Woking has been tempered somewhat by the fact that Woking are geting beaten by everone anyway and are obviously crap.  I can't wait to see the new team and we should start to gel but this is Alty - you can't help but be pessimistic can you?

Jenga

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 01:21:38 PM »

End of October i will worry, but definately not yet.

Jezza

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 03:48:53 PM »

I'd be interested if we are on an average of a point per game and in the bottom 4 by xmas I'd be interested if there is anyone out there who would still say give the 'cote another chance...we can't be simply unlucky for 3 months can we?

I expect to see us improve and start to look quite consistent by October.

with the hard work done by the board in clearing our debt I'd expect them to be most unhappy seeing a highly improved and ambitious budget achieve no improvement as it would surely be an insult to their incredible talents.

Obviously the fans don't count as we only contribute (what is it?) 10% through the turnstile....but I'd have thought the directors would want their superhuman efforts to be met with some degree of respectability on the pitch.

I expect the 'cote has already been told mid table by xmas or you're out on your ear never to darken our doorstep again....after all our club is being run like a well run business and well run businesses are ruthless and do not allow sentiment to get in the way of results.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 04:03:01 PM »

If its normal to panic after 7 games then there are more clubs around us that would be losing managers ahead of ourselves me thinks !!!!

Alex

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 04:03:46 PM »

..... on a date where we are allowed to vent our unhappyness?

January 1st 2009 Roughly 17:50 pm

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 04:12:26 PM »

If its normal to panic after 7 games then there are more clubs around us that would be losing managers ahead of ourselves me thinks !!!!

Woking just have!

I don't think Dino has much longer either.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Can we agree ......