PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Unreast threads
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Unreast threads  (Read 6152 times)

fuertes

Re: Unreast threads
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 02:46:01 PM »

Spot on Ballers. Come the end of the season I think we'll have done enough to stay up and if that's the case then GH will have proven that with a full pre-season to plan he's good enough to manage at this level...

...then next season with the money earned from Leeds away in the FA Cup 1st Round and the trip to Wembley for the FA Trophy we can launch a proper assault on this division!  ;D

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2008, 05:21:12 PM »

Make sure Greg Young signs and get him a younger central defencsive partner - check

McGregor is older than Young!

I'm surprised on this forum Cult in regards to what we slagged GH off for that you have interpreted it this way, I didn't think I'd have to ezplain that I meant a younger central defensive partner than his previous one!

Ballers,

My apologies!
I confess that I suddenly realised what you meant a few hours after my post in response to yours.

Mind you, let's be honest, signing a central defender who is younger than Darren Tinson is hardly worth shouting from the rooftops about now, is it?

Signing a central defender who is actually older than Darren Tinson would have been much more of a challenge.....

Are you out there, Bobby Fraser....?

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

bigcol

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2008, 11:47:29 PM »

Football/Championship manager games have a lot to answer for don't they?

I AGREE.  I put Alex Ferguson in charge of Alty for a season in FM2008 and the best he could do with them was 13th.

How about GH in charge of Man U???

Ok I did just that and ran it for a season.  Man U finished 3rd, won the League Cup and reached the Champions League final.

Fergie in charge of Alty finished 8th in the BSP, 2nd round of the FA Cup.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2008, 11:55:31 PM »

Fergie in charge of Alty finished 8th in the BSP, 2nd round of the FA Cup.

That would certainly do for me. (First season anyway. No improvement after that and I'd join the other manager-bashers on here.)  8)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 01:13:08 PM »

Thanks a lot for that Ballers, talking good sense as ever, and some interesting points.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2008, 01:17:09 PM »

And lest we forget, of course Heathcote has ability at this level, he was assistant manager in 1991 when we should have got promotion. And of course he will have learnt anything there is to learn from John King, some of which will relate to football. Barroiw/'Coate is the best ticket we have had since and personally I can hardly believe our luck in having two such respected names at the club.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Unreast threads