PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Unreast threads
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unreast threads  (Read 6163 times)

seasonticket

Unreast threads
« on: August 31, 2008, 02:49:14 PM »

I am getting a little pissed off with these people who are calling for a change of management.
Are they really true Alty supporters or just Premiership supporters who think that the team they support should have some god given right to win every game played?
I know every one is allowed an opinion, but when they talk complete crap about football management and, presumable, expect to be taken seriously, it gets very boring.
We need to finish above fourth bottom this season. It does not take a genious to work out that that will mean some lost games, more than likely lose more than win.
Who cares which games we get the points from. We will lose some we expect to win and win some we expect to lose. There are eight months of the season to go.
If you want change this early in the season then I suggest you change your allegance and go and support some team like Droylsden after all a certain Mr brownhill said that they would be winning more than us. Or even that league championship challenging outfit at the Marston Arena.
If I want to here rubbish spoken about football I can always listen to the wife. She is an Alty fan as well but even she can see that rocking the boat now is unhelpful.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Unreast threads
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 02:53:12 PM »

Football/Championship manager games have a lot to answer for don't they? Thing is the majority of these dissenters never come up with a positive solution, it is all hand wringing misery talk.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 03:18:27 PM »

If you want change this early in the season then I suggest you change your allegance and go and support some team like Droylsden after all a certain Mr brownhill said that they would be winning more than us.

I suspect people calling for a change are not basing their opinions on this season in isolation.

In fact, I suspect the last three seasons at this level (two of which should have resulted in relegation) will have been more of an influence...
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

bigcol

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 04:04:57 PM »

Football/Championship manager games have a lot to answer for don't they?

I AGREE.  I put Alex Ferguson in charge of Alty for a season in FM2008 and the best he could do with them was 13th.

Hamilton

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 04:59:16 PM »

Football/Championship manager games have a lot to answer for don't they?

I AGREE.  I put Alex Ferguson in charge of Alty for a season in FM2008 and the best he could do with them was 13th.

How about GH in charge of Man U???

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 07:41:37 PM »

If you want change this early in the season then I suggest you change your allegance and go and support some team like Droylsden after all a certain Mr brownhill said that they would be winning more than us.

I suspect people calling for a change are not basing their opinions on this season in isolation.

In fact, I suspect the last three seasons at this level (two of which should have resulted in relegation) will have been more of an influence...

And in fairness, I suppose those seasons should be taken into account somewhat. However, I think we have to remember the conditions under which we played. This is GH's first season with a budget that isn't compromised by previous debts and the first (sort of) season where he has had since early May/June to pursue the targets he wants.

I know that had the Robinson fiasco not occured that Matt Doughty and John Grant would have signed from Halifax for us. Ask yourself, and bear in mind MD is a solid left back despite people deciding 6 games in that he somewhow isn't, if we had had MD as a recognised left back in the 2006-07 season would we have gained 3 more points than we did? Course we would, and if JG had been our target man, course we would.

That's not ifs, buts and maybes, that's not saying would we have got 15 extra points, that's saying we would have survived.

GH has tried to sign Chris Denham for as long as I can remember. I don't know or care what wages he's on but I can work out that it's higher than any of the offers made to him in the previous x years.

If we had had Chris Denham on the wing all last season would we have scored one more goal/won one more game than we did and stayed up? Absolutely.

So lets take this season on it's own merits. What did we slag off/ask GH for?

A left back - check
A winger - check (x2)
A target man - check
A ball player in midfield - check (more or less)
Make sure Greg Young signs and get him a younger central defencsive partner - check
Stop playing 4-5-1 and try and have a go at teams and be a little bit more attacking - check.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and even if it was they might have struggled to adapt to life in the Conference. Put your personal opinions of GH aside, good or bad, and try and support the team at atime when they most need us.

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 07:57:56 PM »

I think Ballers makes some very good points. I must confess Im not a GH fan and wanted him replaced in the summer, however unlikely that was going to be. As he wasn't I decided to see what this season would bring and was surprised at the quality of signings he brought in and have to say I cant complain about any of them. Its not fair to use the last 2 seasons as a stick to beat him with so early in the season. The players need time to gel and people must remember that we have had much worse starts to seasons before. I was appalled to hear GH getting booed by a particular person on Monday when he substituted Little and Senior for Johnson and Denham some people are taking their personal vendettas too far. Christmas is the time to re-assess and hopefully GH will have been successful and we will be in a comfortable position. 

Chimp

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 08:34:14 PM »

I am Gh sceptic. The 4-5-1 at home last season really pissed me off along with me witnessing the manager arguing with some young supporters who were unhappy with the teams performance - I should add that they were well within their rights after paying their entrance fee. However there have been new signings and they need time to bed in - Time will tell

Jenga

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 11:30:57 PM »

Careful you will get slagged off for forcing your opions on people - hehehehe

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 12:00:31 AM »

I know that had the Robinson fiasco not occured that Matt Doughty and John Grant would have signed from Halifax for us. Ask yourself, and bear in mind MD is a solid left back despite people deciding 6 games in that he somewhow isn't if we had had MD as a recognised left back in the 2006-07 season would we have gained 3 more points than we did? Course we would, and if JG had been our target man, course we would.

Ballers,

On the evidence of the last two fixtures, it appears that the Alty management may have reached this conclusion!

A left back - check

To be confirmed....
I sincerely hope that Doughty can find his form at left full back, as that position has been a recurrent nightmare since our promotion in 2005.

Hmmmm....not sure that we have resolved this area as yet.
Danylyk looks promising but I'm not yet convinced by Street and Lawton has energy and commitment but lacks creativity.

Make sure Greg Young signs and get him a younger central defencsive partner - check

McGregor is older than Young!

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 12:05:09 AM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 09:38:57 AM »

I'm surprised on this forum Cult in regards to what we slagged GH off for that you have interpreted it this way, I didn't think I'd have to ezplain that I meant a younger central defensive partner than his previous one!

Butty

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 10:35:45 AM »

Ask yourself, and bear in mind MD is a solid left back despite people deciding 6 games in that he somewhow isn't, if we had had MD as a recognised left back in the 2006-07 season would we have gained 3 more points than we did?

But after 4 appearances we managed to deduce that Sean Clancy wasn't any good???

Narcissist

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 12:06:40 PM »

And in fairness, I suppose those seasons should be taken into account somewhat. However, I think we have to remember the conditions under which we played. This is GH's first season with a budget that isn't compromised by previous debts and the first (sort of) season where he has had since early May/June to pursue the targets he wants.

I know that had the Robinson fiasco not occured that Matt Doughty and John Grant would have signed from Halifax for us. Ask yourself, and bear in mind MD is a solid left back despite people deciding 6 games in that he somewhow isn't, if we had had MD as a recognised left back in the 2006-07 season would we have gained 3 more points than we did? Course we would, and if JG had been our target man, course we would.

That's not ifs, buts and maybes, that's not saying would we have got 15 extra points, that's saying we would have survived.

GH has tried to sign Chris Denham for as long as I can remember. I don't know or care what wages he's on but I can work out that it's higher than any of the offers made to him in the previous x years.

If we had had Chris Denham on the wing all last season would we have scored one more goal/won one more game than we did and stayed up? Absolutely.

A left back - check
A winger - check (x2)
A target man - check
Stop playing 4-5-1 and try and have a go at teams and be a little bit more attacking - check.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and even if it was they might have struggled to adapt to life in the Conference. Put your personal opinions of GH aside, good or bad, and try and support the team at atime when they most need us.

This is bang on.

Also, even though we've made some good signings, we have no right to expect anything more than survival this season. I'd like to survive with a margin of comfort, but we've got more than 6 games to achieve that. If we're 18th at Christmas should we be happy or annoyed?

Personally i'd take it. The bottom 6 was more or less sorted by christmas last season and I think it will be again this year. The difference being this season we might not be part of it.

Jenga

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 12:18:37 PM »

I agree with Ballers, and I just wish people would shut up about GH ( hence my other post, which was not quite as subtle as ballers response).

Give the team chance to gel and make up minds at christmas not by the end of August, it is laughable really.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 02:35:56 PM »

I'm surprised on this forum Cult in regards to what we slagged GH off for that you have interpreted it this way, I didn't think I'd have to ezplain that I meant a younger central defensive partner than his previous one!

I think he meant a younger partner than Tinson!?  ;)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Unreast threads