News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Cote's quotes: Alty 3 Barrow 4

Author Topic: Cote's quotes: Alty 3 Barrow 4  (Read 2064 times)

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: August 15, 2008, 06:27:57 PM »

11:21am Friday 15th August 2008

Comments (0)   Have your say »

By Connor Murphy »

ALTY boss Graham Heathcote labelled his side's defending 'disastrous' afterthey lost 4-3 to Barrow On Tuesday night.

The Robins twice fought back from behind to level the game but defensive errors eventually handed Barrow all three points.

And despite his satisfaction with their attacking play, Heathcote believes his side will be relegated unless they can improve at the back.

He said: "It was one of those games, there were a lot of good things and a lot of bad things in it but you’ve got to go and work on the bad things for starters.

"You can’t play a game at any level of football and concede goals like we conceded tonight. From a spectator’s angle it was an absolutely fantastic game but from a manager or coach’s angle it was disastrous defensively.

"You can have a good attacking side but you can’t go out and defend like that in this league and expect to survive, it just won’t happen.

"It was Sunday League defending. That’s no disrespect to them because they caused us problems but we left too much space at the back.

"There are a lot of headaches to resolve. We train Thursday now and we’ve got to work on being a lot better defensively ahead of the Kettering game."

But Heathcote doesn't necessarily think improving defensively means reining in the more ambitious approach his side showed against Barrow.

He said: "We don’t need to change our approach, we just need to defend properly as a unit and as a back four.

"We can’t just go kamikaze with everyone going upfield, we’ve got enough up front to cause teams problems but the basis has to be a solid back four that does its job first and foremost.

"The full backs aren’t there to necessarily go forward, they’re there to keep blank sheets because we’ve got enough going forward, which we showed."

@AltyDaz

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Cote's quotes: Alty 3 Barrow 4
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 07:20:22 PM »

Somehow I think this is aimed at Doughty for starters, on several occasion he was 50 yards up the pitch, left the whole of that side open, not having a dig but like GH said we can't be lumping EVERYBODY up the pitxh when we are in possesio. I think another high scoring game is in order tomorrow and we will win 3-2 !

thegazelle

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 08:52:29 PM »

was there almost a no disrespect to barrow in there somewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jacko

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 09:15:29 PM »

Had a good view of doughty's play on tuesday, he appear to think he can track back faster than he actually can,

i was pleasently suprised about him attacking at first untill greg young mentioned to him he was leaving us exposed,

think he's got great determination though and is the best LB ive seen here in a while, just dont ball watch.

radcliffe alty

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 09:50:35 PM »

I liked someone's suggestion of perhaps sticking Warren as protection  in front of him until he learns to sit back a bit more, although Warren is solid enough to cover when Doughty does get forward. That would mean us attacking up the other flank constantly though.

In my view, I think Warren is unlucky to not even be on the bench at the moment - I'd give him O'Neill's seat personally.

HeyAlty

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 09:49:26 PM »

I liked someone's suggestion of perhaps sticking Warren as protection  in front of him until he learns to sit back a bit more, although Warren is solid enough to cover when Doughty does get forward. That would mean us attacking up the other flank constantly though.

In my view, I think Warren is unlucky to not even be on the bench at the moment - I'd give him O'Neill's seat personally.

I'd give anyone O'neils seat

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 10:22:45 PM »

I'd give anyone O'neils seat

What his 2 year comfy seat? ::)
ParkINson's red and white army
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team