News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Robins' recruitment hat-trick

Author Topic: Robins' recruitment hat-trick  (Read 1706 times)

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: June 09, 2008, 09:04:57 PM »

By Connor Murphy
Comment
ALTY have significantly strengthened their squad for the new season after confirming a trio of new arrivals.

Most notable is the signing of Droylsden forward Chris Denham, who manager Graham Heathcote has been trying to sign for the past two years.

He is joined by Hyde striker Dale Johnson and Leek Town midfielder Anthony Danylyk, bringing a more youthful look to the Robins' squad.

Denham's capture is sure to bring a smile to the faces of the Moss Lane faithful after watching the tricky forward cause their defence no end of problems in recent years.

The pacy 25-year-old, who can play both on the wing and up front, spent the last three years at Droylsden apart from a brief spell at Ashton United and has also played for Stalybridge Celtic.

Heathcote beat out competition from big-spending Blue Square Premier rivals Rushden and Diamonds to sign Denham and is delighted to finally get his man.

He said: "There have been clubs trying to get Chris to go full-time but the figures being talked about weren't quite enough for him to commit fully to it.

"He's a talented player and I've been trying to sign him for the past two years. I knew about him when he was playing for Stand Athletic in the Manchester League eight years ago.

"He's still got a lot to prove and we hope he'll be able to score a few more goals than last season."

Johnson, meanwhile, finished last season as a teammate of Denham's while on loan at Droylsden.

The 6ft 2ins centre forward had been at Hyde for the past four years after signing from Woodley Sports but last season slipped behind Matthew Tipton and Chris Simm in the pecking order up front and was mainly used on the wing.

Still only 23, Heathcote is hoping he can realise the rich potential he has shown glimpses of.

"Dale is an exciting prospect," added the Robins boss.

"He had three good years at Hyde before he found himself down the pecking order last season and he got very frustrated with the situation.

"I've given him an opportunity and now he has to find his fitness and show everyone he can handle this level of football.

"It says it all when (former Hyde teammate) Gareth Seddon, one of the highest rated strikers in non-league football, recently said he was one of his favourite players to play alongside."

The final member of the trio, Danylyk, was captain of Leek Town last season as they were relegated from the Unibond Premier League on goal difference.

Danylyk, 25, started his career at Stoke City before being released an joining North West Counties league side Stone Dominoes.

The central midfielder joined Leek in March 2002 and swept the board and the club's annual awards ceremony last month.

Heathcote said: "Anthony's a tenacious midfielder who's good on the ball, switches play well and is good on set pieces.

"One of the things I felt last year was that we were decent on the ball but didn't do enough when the other team had it and Anthony will help with that.

"He's another young lad who has a lot to prove and is hungry to play at this level."

11:30am today

@AltyDaz

Alex

Re: Robins' recruitment hat-trick
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 08:52:27 AM »

Johnson, meanwhile, finished last season as a teammate of Denham's while on loan at Droylsden.

The 6ft 2ins centre forward had been at Hyde for the past four years after signing from Woodley Sports but last season slipped behind Matthew Tipton and Chris Simm in the pecking order up front and was mainly used on the wing.

Still only 23, Heathcote is hoping he can realise the rich potential he has shown glimpses of.

"Dale is an exciting prospect," added the Robins boss.

"He had three good years at Hyde before he found himself down the pecking order last season and he got very frustrated with the situation.

"I've given him an opportunity and now he has to find his fitness and show everyone he can handle this level of football.

"It says it all when (former Hyde teammate) Gareth Seddon, one of the highest rated strikers in non-league football, recently said he was one of his favourite players to play alongside."

That line will do it for me  ;D

matnvfcmad

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 09:46:22 AM »

also heard we were after Seddon as usually they pick vics not alty :D

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 10:04:16 AM »

i asked my hyde supporting acquantance and he wrote this

"Hello!

Sorry about the late reply - this is the first time I've logged in since Friday.

In his first couple of seasons Leeds and Middlesbrough were after him so we put a ridiculously high price tag on him (something like £50k, but it might've been even more), but he's not lived up to the early promise.

I've wanted rid of him for a couple of seasons now, but our fans have always been split on him. Ask someone else and they'd be absolutely gutted to see him go.

He's one of the most frustrating players I've watched - just so, so lazy. He's unfit too - not in the sense of getting injured regularly, but coming off tired after 60 minutes every game. It's probably linked to the fact that our fans usually see him out at 3am on the morning before a game, although that probably says as much about our manager's discipline enforcement as it does Dale.

But he's scored 68 goals in 171 (plus 25 sub appearances), so he's definitely got the quality - if GH can get him motivated and fit then he'll be brilliant for you"

for what its worth i think this is where we are shopping now, players who have what it takes but havent really done it

Jenga

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 12:32:45 PM »

I hope he does the business. I dont want another Bowler on our hands.

Get fit Dale and show us what you can do and you can be a legend like a certain Mr C Little.

He sounds like what we need if he can get fit and prove all the doubters at his old home  ;D
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team