PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Reprieved?
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Reprieved?  (Read 6722 times)

Longman

Reprieved?
« on: May 12, 2008, 01:30:59 PM »

Does anyone know when exactly we are going to learn whether we have been or not?

Knutsford Alty

Re: Reprieved?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 03:23:47 PM »

We here go again with this word reprieved. 

Personally its a very uncomfortable the situation with Halifax and it doesn't take a genius to work out what away fans will taunt us with at Moss Lane next season (if we stay up).   

markecky

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 03:33:44 PM »

Not sure where you are coming from Knutsford Alty?

Are you saying we should not take the reprieve?

It may be embarassing but it was never the plan to be relegated by one goal two years running.   Its all been out of our hands...

As I said before if we had campaigning for it and threatening legal action if we were demoted, thats embarassing.  We should have just kept our mouths shut and see what happens.  Which, as a club, thats what we did.

Just my opinion

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 03:37:06 PM »

Ecky don't get we wrong I want to see the Mansfields and Oxfords at Moss Lane.

However it would be nice to play in the Conference off our own back where we get enough points on the board rather than another club saving us.  Alty and the words 'stuffy and lucky' are not what I want Alty to be famous for. 

Its all a bit hard to take in really........

Alty365

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 03:38:19 PM »

I have already prepared a reply to the above mentioned taunts:

"Here cos we're solvent!,
We're only here cos we're solvent!,
Here cos we're solvent!,
We're only here cos we're solvent!"

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 03:41:23 PM »

Thats my point Ecky.

Chants like that from Alty365 hardly fill me with pride, do they to you?

Alty365

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 03:45:15 PM »

Thats my point Ecky.

Chants like that from Alty365 hardly fill me with pride, do they to you?

f**king hell it was only meant to be light-hearted.

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 03:51:30 PM »

Tell that to the Halifax fans this is a light-hearted situation.

Its all very unfortunate this and as is said prevoiusly I feel uncomfortable IF we get another reprieve.

Alty365

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 03:57:01 PM »

I think we're at crossed purposes here. I am not proud in any way that we keep getting reprieved, nor am I seeking to make light of Halifax's awful situation (see my reply to Unemployed Coalminer's idiotic post over the weekend if you want further proof of this).

I posted the above because if another teams fans sing banterish stuff to us about being lucky I fully intend to sing banteriskly back at them. Eg. last August against Exeter:

"You're only here cos of Boston!"

was quickly met with:

"You're only here cos of Morecambe!".

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 04:08:28 PM »

Knutsford I think you've got the wrong end of the stick there, I too will be singing back something along them lines ! My manager at work today has done nothing but ridicule me for Alty staying up (?) along the lines of whats been said on here like 'give another club a go' or 'its rediculous every season' its annoying not staying up on merit, but what were we supposed to do, deliberatly lose the last few games (gave it a good shot  ;) ) so we wouldn't finish 4th bottom ?

I don't think anyone has said 'ha' to Halifax, I don't feel comfortable Alty staying up not on merit, but feeling uncomfortable about Halifax I do not.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 04:10:52 PM »

Knutsford Alty, the summers of 1980 and 1981 still live in the memory. I'm happy to be called "stuffy" and "lucky" rather than "devastated" and "cheated" like we were then. In my eyes if we get reprieved for the next 10 years it still won't be compensation for us not being able to see how far we could've gone as a FL club. If fans of the very clubs who denied us that opportunity don't like the fact we're in the same league - its even sweeter.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 04:13:50 PM »

Knutsford Alty, the summers of 1980 and 1981 still live in the memory. I'm happy to be called "stuffy" and "lucky" rather than "devastated" and "cheated" like we were then. In my eyes if we get reprieved for the next 10 years it still won't be compensation for us not being able to see how far we could've gone as a FL club. If fans of the very clubs who denied us that opportunity don't like the fact we're in the same league - its even sweeter.

Extremely well said.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Longman

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 04:14:46 PM »

Knutsford Alty, are you saying that we should not even been interested in whether we are reprieved or not?  Are you saying you don't want the reprieve and would rather go down?

The fact is we were technically relegated becuase our goal difference was inferior to that of Halifax's, at the end of the day we have not broken any rules and as Ecky says the whole thing is out of our hands, we are just going along with the rules and regulations of the conference.

Quite frankly if we are reprieved (which i'm praying to god we are) then it's time to get on with focusing on the team and making sure we come out of the traps fighting as soon as the season starts.  Like Alty365 says the best way to deal with the 'label' of being lucky is to make light of it with songs like the one he has so skillfully crafted,  ;)

At the end of the day lets not worry about what other teams think about us, I really couldn't care less, all I want to do is see Alty doing as well as we can, and if that means off the back of a reprieve due to another clubs' gross mismanagement then so be it.

We are Alty, super Alty, from Moss Lane.....................

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 04:25:08 PM »

If you look at the facts, Altrincham have struggled for three years in the Conference.  Heathcote has commented in the past that its a long struggle to stay in this league.  I love to see the Oxfords and Exeters at Moss Lane but we are not playing a level playing field.  The Conference is now so full-time based that the Altys of this world will continue to struggle for the forseeable future in the non-league top flight.

The only way Alty can compete in the Conference is to go full-time and we all know where that can lead............

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 04:29:57 PM »

If you look at the facts, Altrincham have struggled for three years in the Conference.  Heathcote has commented in the past that its a long struggle to stay in this league.  I love to see the Oxfords and Exeters at Moss Lane but we are not playing a level playing field.  The Conference is now so full-time based that the Altys of this world will continue to struggle for the forseeable future in the non-league top flight.

The only way Alty can compete in the Conference is to go full-time and we all know where that can lead............

The Blue Square North is not a "level playing field" either.....and I suspect that we we would struggle in that league (and in front of lower home attendances, too).
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Reprieved?