News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Interesting comments from Goodwin

Author Topic: Interesting comments from Goodwin  (Read 1946 times)

le bignose

« on: May 02, 2008, 09:03:03 AM »

"If Graham was to go, it would leave a massive hole at the club, more than anyone could imagine. As far as we're concerned he's got a job but it's in his own hands now. He has to decide what he thinks is best. Whatever happens though, the club is in good shape"

So basically the 5th May meeting is purely in GH's hands and he is still the man for the job .........

To be honest, mixed feelings and emotions on this. Am i looking at ANOTHER season like the last or will he actually change his ways!??!!?!!! I really dont know what to think on this and reading the thread on Col's comments, could we be looking at losing a manager who has, by the sounds of it, got the full backing from our main players, and potentially lose these players as well ?!?!!

I would back GH to the hilt if he could honestly say this term we will ditch the negative approach to home games, even certain away games, and go for it. We've proved we can cut it and when we attack teams, we can compete!! Its time to forget the old cliche's that we're part time blah blah, if so, and we talk like we aint got a chance, surely then we dont have any reason why not go out and go at teams!??!

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting comments from Goodwin
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 12:33:50 PM »

This whole situation regarding GH is depressing.

We're going round and round in circles. It's like groundhog day.

No ambition from the board. No desire for us to do well.

Depressing.

Daycare Dan

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 12:37:10 PM »

At what point will GG decide GH is not doing the right job for the club?

If we go down to BSN next season and finish lower mid table (could happen) does he get to keep his job? In his coach business you can't tell me GG keeps underperforming members of staff - should this be any different.

Don't get me wrong GH has done a fantastic job for this club in may different rolls over many years but I think now a new change in direction is needed.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 12:44:31 PM by Daycare Dan »

Narcissist

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 12:50:52 PM »

I wouldnt say that the board have no ambition.

We now have to live with GH's decision. I hope that Monday brings at least some comments on how GH plans to operate the team on the pitch next season if its not too early.

One of the most depressing chants to hear in a ground is 'ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK!' from the home fans. Surely GH can at least take on board what the fans want to see the team trying to do and take it from there. I'd say its almost pointless trying to call for a change in manger now. We maybe need to have to call for a change in tactics. How did it ever come to this?

le bignose

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 12:58:14 PM »

At what point will GG decide GH is not doing the right job for the club?

If we go down to BSN next season and finish lower mid table (could happen) does he get to keep his job? In his coach business you can't tell me GG keeps underperforming members of staff - should this be any different.

Don't get me wrong GH has done a fantastic job for this club in may different rolls over many years but I think now a new change in direction is needed.

good points. I just think it shows a lack of desire and ambition from the club as a whole. Im not trying to kick up a storm here cos i know the baord have done a great job, we've a stable club, we know all that, but the bottom line of any club is about ambition and moving forward surely. Its about winning games, playing football fans want to watch, isnt it ????

I can see why they also want to keep him, and i know GG doesnt have the best footballing back ground, which means he is more interested in the busness side and running a steady ship (Ps im not questioning GG or his work or position), i just think not being a football man at heart he doesnt see that there is more than having a manager who, quote, knows football inside out or does x amount at the club. Any football fan knows as manager its all about result!!

So its back to the same old as i cant see much change in GH style and willingness to change .......... something Alty football is due in my opinion ( and again this is just my view)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 01:03:07 PM by le bignose »

Hodgey

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 05:20:41 PM »

All levels of football have changed with the increased TV coverage and this includes the BSP. The 'modern game' needs a new approach and that may require a new manager. GH puts his heart and soul into the job and I dont deny it and GG has stuck by him following the relegations which is very commendable. But my opinion is GH is old school in his approach, so either he changes or we get someone new in now to allow him to sign the players he wants, because if we perform like the start of last year fans will vote with their feet and this will be a disaster financially to the club.

To the board ... dont let your heart rule your head

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 05:30:58 PM »

"I think Graham Heathcote is a great manager and there a few people who are as knowledgeable as him on non-league football. People think I say these things because I'm his mate but the whole board agree on this."

As someone else pointed out to me after reading this, isn't this statement itself rather redundant, seeing as the majority of the Board of Directors are also "mates" of GH?!

Accountability, not sentiment....please.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team