PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Case for a reserve team?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Case for a reserve team?  (Read 4332 times)

Dougals Dad

Case for a reserve team?
« on: April 30, 2008, 11:00:52 AM »

It is a shame so much of the promise we show at youth level does not make it to the first team. Is this a good reason to reintroduce the reserve team in some form?

NWYA Premier 2007/08         
 As at 24 April 2008 
POS TEAM P W D L F A GD PTS
1 ALTRINCHAM 18 12 3 3 51 20 31 39
2 Morecambe 20 12 3 5 48 23 25 39
3 Ashton Athletic A 17 13 0 4 47 24 23 39
4 Bootle A 22 10 3 9 48 37 11 33
5 Curzon Ashton  18 9 4 5 35 22 13 31
6 Woodley Sports 20 9 4 7 33 30 3 30
7 Nantwich Town 18 9 3 6 35 25 10 30
8 FC United of Manchester 20 8 1 11 31 32 -1 25
9 Marine 19 7 4 8 27 32 -5 25
10  Salford City 20 5 5 10 19 31 -12 20
11 Leigh RMI 17 3 2 12 18 56 -38 11
12 Daisy Hill 21 1 2 18 16 76 -60 5
 Totals  98 34 98 408 408 0 

Alty365

Re: Case for a reserve team?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 11:07:25 AM »

I think the lack of a reserve team almost makes a mockery of having such a fantastic youth setup. People at the club (not least the great George Heslop) have invested countless hours in producing a youth setup which is the envy of most clubs our size, but by not having the continuity into senior football we are potentially missing out hugely. In fairness I think the problem is well known to all at the club and the problem is finding a suitable league in which to compete.

Alex

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 11:09:06 AM »

we had a reserve team but it was put into a yorkshire region of the league competion, then had games being postponed at the last minuet and ended up with games left over after the season had finished. hense why the club didn't have one this year beacause the league it  was in was a farse.

malcolm

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 11:13:46 AM »

I asked the same question to a memeber of the Youth Team Coaching staff  and he said that the standard of Reserve team football was not good, being in the Yorkshire division didnt help finances with games called off at the very last minute. There was only going to be 2 or 3 players good enough for first team level so in affect your employing a squad to aide 3 players. The savings tisi season were spent on loan players of first team standard and any good youth players we have could be loaned out to lower division clubs until they are ready for the first team.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:15:17 AM by malcolm »

Jenga

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 12:42:56 PM »

There was only going to be 2 or 3 players good enough for first team level so in affect your employing a squad to aide 3 players.

How ironic of those 2 or 3 were a left back, forward and a winger who can cross the ball.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 12:43:41 PM »

I asked the same question to a memeber of the Youth Team Coaching staff  and he said that the standard of Reserve team football was not good, being in the Yorkshire division didnt help finances with games called off at the very last minute. There was only going to be 2 or 3 players good enough for first team level so in affect your employing a squad to aide 3 players. The savings tisi season were spent on loan players of first team standard and any good youth players we have could be loaned out to lower division clubs until they are ready for the first team.

Problem there is we never get the buggers back!

We send them on loan to play but expect them to train with us on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Sadly the lubs we loan them to also train Tuesdays and Thursdays in the main and, if they don't train with them then they don't get to play and the whole thing becomes pointless.

SO

Our players choose to train (and play) with the team they're on loan to and leave Alty.

THEN

you open the NLP and find that they're pulling up trees for their new club.

We need a Reserve side!

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 12:56:12 PM »

How much do you reckon it costs to run a reserve team ? Did this used to be paid for by someone else (Sponsor) or have I made that up ?

Dougals Dad

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 01:19:49 PM »

If we have a reserve team there are 2 possible options I can see:
1) Put them in a league. However, this may be too distant (Yorks) or too poor quality
2) Play friendlies. This was the plan last year, but it seemed to come to nothing.

I believe a reserve team of sorts would be of benefit, but can anyone see any other options?

Jezza

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 01:36:48 PM »

I have suggested playing a youth team in a higher league to close the gap.....almost a youth/reserves side?

There must be a local reserve league similar to the youth team division?

The team would obviously not do as well in the higher league but it is frustrating having such a good youth team that other clubs seem to get the benefit from.

I think the expert George Heslop is the best person to ask about this....I'd be intrested in his comments, maybe what i'm suggesting and what others suggest is just not feasible?

alternatively make an arrangement with someone like Trafford or maybe Runcorn Linnetts along the lines that we should have in reverse with Stockport and Crewe.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 03:03:05 PM »

I suppose the problem with arranging friendlies against other reserve sides is that they are already playing league fixures ?

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 05:29:17 PM »

I suppose the problem with arranging friendlies against other reserve sides is that they are already playing league fixures ?

Unless they are not in a league like us.

Full time and proud of it

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 05:34:54 PM »

At a guess I would say that most league clubs are in a 'league' of some sort and we wouldn't want friendlies against anyone too low down the leagues as it wouldn't really be a work out and might as well play in the Manchester Saturday League ?

Alex

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 05:36:18 PM »

what about entering the pontins holiday league? or is that just for football league teams?

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 12:29:42 AM »

what about entering the pontins holiday league? or is that just for football league teams?

games played at 3pm on week days, requires full time status

RocketDan

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 11:15:27 AM »

Northwest counties division two?
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Case for a reserve team?