PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Thirty years on....
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Thirty years on....  (Read 10877 times)

Unemployed Coalminer

Re: Thirty years on....
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 11:59:16 AM »

yes, i think the train from oxford road was some excursion thingy i went on about the same time.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 12:27:18 PM »

I was there, sat directly in line with the goal line, where King's header crossed the line. Fantastic.

Johnson and Rogers goals were brilliant too.

Seem to remember singing " When the red,red Robin goes Bobbin along!!"

Great memories to last a lifetime.

thegazelle

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 12:29:20 PM »

we def got on at Altrincham and the now famous (well it got a mention in that 442 article) alty's got brains not leatherheads banner.
i can recall the last two seats in our compartment were filled by a dad and his trainspotting son about 8 years old . the rest of the compartment was drunken 17/18 yearolds .

the nervous father was amazed when we pulled into crewe and half of us leapt into action shouting and running around .....................................

collecting train numbers . we got loads even a couple of rare shunters, 08 class i think.

The match great

the alsation on the checkout in the offy after the match was crap as it did not now if you had paid or not and i borrowed enough beer to get me home . i must take it back one day but i am afraid the dog will recognise me.

another funny bit was the train stopping by witton park in northich for about an hour as we exchanged abuse and anything we could throw with a bunch of pratt northwich fans. we were not getting off the train to fight and they were certainly not getting on it.

great great day out . my mother awoke to find three startting blocks from the golf course on her lawn now how did they get there
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 12:32:25 PM by thegazelle »

Railway Alty

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 01:08:52 PM »

iirc when we pulled into Crewe to change locos, there was a football special full of Chelsea fans in who thought coz we were in red and white we were united fans, cue loads of slanging chucking of cans, bottles etc

thegazelle

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 06:16:46 PM »

wasnt that liverpool fans on our way to tottenham??????

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2008, 09:18:38 PM »

I'm sitting here reading this but I'm not too sure some of the memories are correct. I was at all three finals the first by coach, but the special train one was the Enfield game. I think the stand off row was then between us and Everton, just outside Crewe.Lots of mouthing across tracks but no more I recall. The fckn alarm thingy went off every half mile as we got near home as people got off and legged it across the tracks. Oh and Stafford larging it on the station on the way past......ha ha!

The Runcorn final I spent the weekend in London, at an old schoolmates flat. We got nicked for "soiling the railway" ie having a piss against Victoria Stn wall.........never turned up at court, prob get a knock in the morning now! Are we safe 22 yrs on? 
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2008, 09:24:54 PM »

there was def a special train for the leatherhead game because it was the only one i went to.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 09:29:56 PM »

Ok UC, perhaps we had a row with various old Div 1 clubs on the way home! Marvellous. Bring it all back.

thegazelle

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2008, 11:53:52 PM »

everton beat someone six nil on the day of the 78 final latchford got a hatrick
we def went by train

enfield 82 i went by coach from the club and we filled the gap between the back seat and the back window with beer tins much to the disdain of the driver a stand off with northampton fans at a service station and a dry do all the way home,my first experience of Wembley head. (youngsters will find out about wembley head one day i hope)
scottie you were on the same coach i recall.

86 the notorious cheshire mid drink drugs and rock and roll coach , great day tequila at 6.00am in the chesh, lunch in a pub in richmond (well i thought London was a small town)
half the coach evicted from wembley for being pissed. famous quote from driver i am not stopping on the way back. reply from 52 drunks if you want your coach in one piece you will stop at this off licence now . he stopped. but the coach still got home missing three seats .
funnily enough it was also the end of my first and only engagement after my betrothed one emptied a table of glasses in my direction through the door of the cheshire mid
(how many glasses hit me? cornerflag) them women and football just dont mix.

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2008, 10:26:04 AM »

i can remember the leatherhead final like it was yesterday but have absolutely no recollection of the enfield final despite being there. maybe thats the difference between 16 and 19!
first final half my class from school went together on a coach from the ground. i nipped off for a piss during the game and just reached the top of the steps as kingy scored the third, cue several people tumbling back down the steps in celebration. great days indeed. the opposition support was woeful wasnt it?
sw is right that the stand off at crewe was on the way to tottenham on the special. and they were liverpool fans. wasnt so much a stand off as they would have killed us if they could have got at us.

has anyone ever read the hoolie book steaming in by colin ward? its about his time as an arse hoolie but he was from leatherhead and at the game and describes being battered by alty fans

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2008, 10:40:22 AM »

I read that years ago Jim, always wondered how true it was. I recall coming out of Wembley at the end and a handful of Leatherhead followers mouthing off and trying to be hard, one in a butchers white coat. He said something to me and my mate and was grabbed by the throat by a 30 something Man U fan off our coach. Perhaps that was him?

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2008, 10:47:49 AM »

a butchers white coat!!!! brilliant. ;D
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Thirty years on....