PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Thirty years on....
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Thirty years on....  (Read 10878 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Thirty years on....
« on: April 29, 2008, 03:39:33 PM »

It will probably make a few people on here feel rather old today when they realise that it is the 30th anniversary of Alty's first visit to Wembley.

So, set aside a quiet moment later this evening, pour yourself a glass of your favourite tipple and raise a toast to the following Alty legends (and Joe Flaherty....):

Peter Eales
Stan Allan
Ivan Crossley (RIP)
Mal Bailey
John Owens
John King
Ian Morris
Graham Heathcote
Jeff Johnson
John Rogers
John Davison.

Oh, and not forgetting Tony Sanders and Peter Warburton.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Cornerflag

Re: Thirty years on....
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 04:42:09 PM »

So far I believe that at least 8 of that team have accepted an invitation to join us for the 30th anniversary celebration at the club on 10th May.

Tickets proced at £10 are available from the club during office hours and will be on sale at the staff v supporters game on Friday.

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 04:46:09 PM »

I was there.

DarrenH

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 05:26:45 PM »

It was actually my first ever Alty game !!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 06:14:26 PM »

I was there with my (then) wife, my eldest daughter (who was 2) and her uncle who was 7.

Apart from the game (obviously), the thing I remember with most pleasure was driving home in the car we had hired for the weekend (it was the cheapest way of getting there and I couldn't afford a car of my own!)

The radio was set for Piccadilly Radio but there must have been a London station on the same frequency down there because when I turned the radio on as we got on to the motorway, there was a phone-in programme and the station guy was commiserating with a caller from Leatherhead - complaining that we had 'spoilt the game' by going 2 up and killing it off so early on!

Happy days - it still brings a smile to my face thinking about that.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

altyusa

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 11:41:34 PM »

I was there as well....nothing but great memories of the day, Kingy swinging his shirt round his head.....!!

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 08:48:18 AM »

LBC were on 261 as well as Piccadilly.

Jezza

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 10:15:19 AM »

I was there...we travelled down in a white Ford Granada estate....me and my two brothers took a friend each and we also took Big Bill and Brian Sweeney down as well....alll the kids were in the boot!!!!!

What a day!..we'd only just sat down and we scored...my Dad jumped up and all his credit cards flew out of his pocket scattering the people around like confetti....he'd only just collected them all up with many apologies when we scored again and the cards went flyting again!

Whoever was there will forever remember with reverance that day and all those players listed...those who missed out can only hear the legends in awe and wonder if it were really true and if we really were that good......yes we were!

feels like yesterday.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 02:18:04 PM »

I have just this minute come back from my first visit to Leatherhead as I had to go the offices of the Surrey FA
I was thinkg of that day on my way there - Didnt realise it was 30 years ago - probably due to decades of lying about my age !!
We went down to Wembley on a coach we hired with all the regualrs from the Vault of the Moss Hotel (next to the Ground)
Great day out - most memorable moment was Kingy's goal and his celebration

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 03:46:09 PM »

I was there...we travelled down in a white Ford Granada estate....me and my two brothers took a friend each and we also took Big Bill and Brian Sweeney down as well....alll the kids were in the boot!!!!!

What a day!..we'd only just sat down and we scored...my Dad jumped up and all his credit cards flew out of his pocket scattering the people around like confetti....he'd only just collected them all up with many apologies when we scored again and the cards went flyting again!

Whoever was there will forever remember with reverance that day and all those players listed...those who missed out can only hear the legends in awe and wonder if it were really true and if we really were that good......yes we were!

feels like yesterday.

Jezza,

Did Brian Sweeney actually praise Alty for their 3-1 win.....or did he complain that we didn't use the wings at Wembley enough...?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 06:28:58 PM »

I was there with my Brother Garry,my Father and my Uncle,little did i know i that would be my last full season watching Alty as March the following year i moved to Devon
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 06:30:33 PM by hsmith1 »
Harold

Railway Alty

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 10:32:25 AM »

30 B****y years ago my word doesnt time fly.
Me and my mates went on one of the special trains of which there were two i believe. We managed to convince an off licence to sell us some beer at about 08:00 in the morning. Si nearly got arrested after the match for snogging a policewoman full on then we nearly missed our train back coz we stopped at nearly every off licence back to Wembley Central getting bottles of champers,( think it might of been Asti Spumante really). On the journey back i nearly got chucked off the train at Rugby, its not a good idea leaning out the window, waving a red flag on the railway. Always remember mum and dad commenting how easy the shopping was that day as Alty was a ghost town. Ah The Memories.

DarrenH

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 11:17:00 AM »

Yeah i was on one of those trains too.
How many did Alty take down that day ?

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 11:23:09 AM »

ah yes the special trains. i think we had to get up to oxford road first to although for the life of me i can't think why we didn't get on it at altrincham. maybe my memory is playing tricks. i do remember the off licence in wembley with the alsatian sat next to the till and drinking far too much colt 45 on the way home.

Railway Alty

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 11:40:17 AM »

By Heck UC yes the alsation well remembered. as for the trains tricks of the mind i think coz i remember getting on at Altrincham and we had to walk along the train to get a seat, by the time we sat down we were half way along Greenwood st car park, nearly in Hale lol
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Thirty years on....