News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Today's performance

Author Topic: Today's performance  (Read 3531 times)

Wilmslow Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Today's performance
« on: April 19, 2008, 05:28:07 PM »

Well, a crap day out all round. Miserable weather, crap ground and inbred fans who spent the whole game singing about us going down rather than about them going to Wembley as if we were old enemies! The lads were too nervy first half. Shotton once again proved the inspiration in the second but despite three or four clear chances we failed to capitalise. Weymouth and Northwhich's last minute goals were the final sucker punch. We're still clinging on and three points are definitely acheivable on Saturday - if we play with a bit of belief. Tuesday night is going to be a nerve shredder!
Acton_Alty has now moved to Chiswick...Wilmslow!

Longman

Re: Today's performance
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 05:31:27 PM »

How many did we have there?

Wilmslow Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 05:36:47 PM »

Not a huge showing - fewer than 100

Bath Alty

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 05:39:32 PM »

It was enough to impress the radio commentator - but I suppose he's used to following Ebsfleet away!

louise1925

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 07:23:56 PM »

At Weymouth I'd go,

Coburn
Lane
Peyton
Tinson
Young
Turnbull
Tansey
Senior
Roca
Little
Shotton

Subs
O'Neil
Battersby
Lawton
Scott
Acton

Why the f*** not just go for it? My biggest fear is we'll go down without so much as a whimper. Let's attack their full backs for a change with a couple of wingers - unheard of under GH, but why the hell not? Put a tall striker in the middle to give Chris Blackburn something to think about, rather than two midgets. And for gods sake stick a sub keeper on the bench just in case! There you go, I've said my piece!

dino

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 07:36:43 PM »

that sounded a horrible performance today........you have to blame Heathcote for the shape and creativity today. Previous post is exactly spot on....Roca should start,and we go after them.  It wont happen though and Heathcotes got a lot to answer for in that department. I think we will stay up,because halifax and farcical celtic will loose both remainig game..And then the debate begins

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 08:12:42 PM »

Whilst I did not attend today how can you blame GH, its the players on the pitch that shape the performance. According to the bbc we had 50% possession, more corners and as many shots as them.

Little and senior missed good chances and Peyton gifted a goal, we also as usual did not clear our lines. So blame the manager!!

Grow up people it is the team that need to get there act together, they have one game left to prove they are good enough.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 08:15:55 PM »

unite for one more game and take it from this time next week -everyone behind everyone now

Wilmslow Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 08:33:24 PM »

GH wasn't at fault today. They were superior in midfield and we were poor at clearing our lines. We played some great football in the second half but just weren't on target in the end. The one time we did find the net it was disallowed and there was also a fine save from their keeper to deny us a sure goal that would have had us right back in the match. And I don't like blaming referees  but there were a few decisions that didn't go our way. What looked like a deliberate handball on the ground, blocking a shot from us, was only punished with a free kick and there seemed to be numerous infringements that went unnoticed.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 09:14:01 PM »

How did Carlos the Roca do when he came on?

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 09:55:08 PM »

Roca did alright, he runs up too many blind alleys for my liking though. To be honest by the time he came on the game was petering out into nothing and he didn't see a huge amount of the ball. For a team that played on Tuesday and Thursday Ebbsfleet really bossed us in the first half, I'd think they will make a strong challenge for the play offs next year. What Peyton was thinking for the 2nd goal only he will know, 2-0 probably is a fair reflection tho. If only we'd taken one of our 3 excellent chances at 2-0....

I thought the support was good too, probably about 100 and very vocal, about 4 times as much as they normally bring to us anyway. Their support pisspoor, about 800 home fans in the ground yet they've apparently sold over 18k already for Wembley-spent the whole game winding us up with a series of increasinlgy basic chants 'Altrincham wank, wank, wank' 'Down with the Farsley' and then the coup de grace 'We'll never play you again'. I for one think that last statement is highly unlikely. The ground too is woeful, it can't have changed at all since we won the League down there all those years ago.

markecky

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 10:10:35 PM »

We looked nervy toady I thought at the start and they really went for us.  They played some good stuff.  A bad error by Warren let them in for the second and then we have 3 good chances that did not go in.  On another day one may have done but not today.   We just never really turned up in truth.

Shotts did OK when he went up front but there is no way he should start up there. He was as important at the back in the first half.

I've also seen a starting lineup with Roca in it for next week.  A useful 20 minute bit part player would put money on you not noticing him if he started a game.

Support was good about 100...decent singing lost a a little in the open end.

And finally an apology to Salisbury fans.  I thought your ten had beaten Farsleys ten for "dickhead fans of the year" contest. Ebbsfleets walked all over you.  70% of the songs were going down.  Its been described on here as "terrace banter".  I call it  odd behaviour to taunt a club you have no rivalry with over supporting your own. 

Thought they may have had bigger fish to fry with Wembley.  No sour grapes, would have said it win lose or draw.  Nice to see it caused the stewards to hastily segregate in the second half, gave them something to do.

All in all a bad day at the office.

Onto Tuesday praying then....

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 11:04:02 PM »

Can't complain about the result over the 90mins, we had three chances and took none.

Two things stood out for me.

Why play Lane at left back when Young and Shotton are on the pitch?

Little and Senior don't work up front. We need a target man, and love him or hate him O'Neill is that man. You can swap him for Shotton for 30 mins if it's going Pete Tonge but Shotton should start at the back.

Come 5:15 Saturday we'll still be in with a chance of staying up, if you'd have said that to me after the boxing day game I'd have laughed.

Keep the faith and get down to Weymouth.
Full time and proud of it
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Today's performance