PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The AGM Cup? Rotherham?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The AGM Cup? Rotherham?  (Read 4370 times)

Jenga

The AGM Cup? Rotherham?
« on: April 18, 2008, 12:51:51 PM »

How would this work should the unthinkable happen and Rotherham go out of existance?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rotherham_utd/7354203.stm

One more team up from the BSP to replace them? leaving only three to go down?

Daycare Dan

Re: The AGM Cup? Rotherham?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 01:06:58 PM »

Only two come down from League 2, I suspect one of the bottom two would avoid relegation and the BSP would be left a team light.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 01:10:30 PM »

I sometimes wonder if more of the bigger clubs could help with lets say 'a friendly'. I thought Chelsea could have helped Scarborough a few years back, they had that connection through th FA cup, one game could generate about £500k and would surely 'save' the club. Then on the other hand you could say you've made your bed now lie in it.

Daycare Dan

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 01:13:02 PM »

I sometimes wonder if more of the bigger clubs could help with lets say 'a friendly'. I thought Chelsea could have helped Scarborogh a few years back, they had that connection through th FA cup, one game could generate about £500k and would surely 'save' the club. Then on the other hand you could say you've made your bed now lie in it.

Scarborough did not deserve any help for anybody, they made over £1m from the Chelsea game and ended up £2m in the red. If you manage to do that in what 3 years you deserve to go our of business.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 01:13:31 PM »

Extremely doubtful that any league would get an extra promotion spot........more likely a reprieve of a relegated club. Not sure why, but just seems more logical.

If this 'cascaded' down then each league would lose a relegation place eg ........if Rotherham leave the league, then only two will go down, but 3 still come up from League 2. Applying this to the next level, only one team is relegated from league 2, but 2 come up from BSP.....................only 3 teams relegated from BS, but 4 still come up etc etc until the Jacksons Boat get into the Mid Cheshire League.

Anyway it will not happen. The Millers will be rescued.
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 01:17:07 PM »

Yeh I agree there Daycare, bit shocking I suppose, maybe I shouldn't have used Scarborough as an example and I dont know whats happened at Rotherham but it sounds as like a few things were out of their hands, wonder if Liam King fancies going part time and doing a local pysio course..  ;)

Daycare Dan

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 01:20:53 PM »

wonder if Liam King fancies going part time and doing a local pysio course..  ;)

Heres hoping!!  ;D

bigcol

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 02:26:33 PM »

Not only Rotherham, look at the implications if Leeds get back some or all of their points in League 1?  Carlise have already said they'll counter-sue if they don't get promoted if Leeds get points back, and the verdicts of the Leeds trial isn't due till way after the end of the season.

How can the league organise a play-off if a judge nods his head one day and they find that there is a team in the playoffs who shouldn't be?

I suppose this is the knock on from trying to punish teams who break the rules, they are entitled to appeal, but that appeal process is a lot slower and more complicated than the original dishing outs.

What ever happened to three points for a win? ;)

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 02:38:02 PM »

I sometimes wonder if more of the bigger clubs could help with lets say 'a friendly'. I thought Chelsea could have helped Scarborough a few years back, they had that connection through th FA cup, one game could generate about £500k and would surely 'save' the club. Then on the other hand you could say you've made your bed now lie in it.

Any club in the country is capable of living within its means.   Clubs go into debt or go bust not because they aren't earning enough, its because they recklessly spend money they never had in the first place.

Jenga

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 03:33:26 PM »

Probably right in that a second division club would get a repreive from relegation, makes more sense and only affects one club in one league rather than cascading it down loads of leagues. ^^

markecky

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 03:58:20 PM »

If they go won't that leave the Conference one short if one goes down?  So only three down for us?

Jenga

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 04:53:28 PM »

If they go won't that leave the Conference one short if one goes down?  So only three down for us?

I think you might be right here :-)   but my brain hurts, it has been a long day  ::)

DarrenH

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 05:03:28 PM »

There is no mention of any of this on the Rotherham site !!!

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 05:55:38 PM »

Cocked up my reply, but stick by my logic

I thought Rotherham were still in league 1 !!!
I still think that if a league 'loses' a team, then it will reprieve a doomed club, rather than allow an extra club in from below. Hence if the Millers cease to exist only Wrexham down, but still Aldershot and Cambridge up.

BSP can then reprieve Vics (when we finish 5th from bottom)
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 07:56:02 PM »

FAO Big Col, it appears that they will be making a decision pretty quick..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/leeds_united/7354091.stm
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The AGM Cup? Rotherham?