News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 RELEGATION RUN IN - updated 2/4/08

Author Topic: RELEGATION RUN IN - updated 2/4/08  (Read 2346 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: April 02, 2008, 10:38:54 PM »

WEYMOUTH 36pts - 21

OXFORD UNITED
GRAYS ATHLETIC
crawley
DROYLSDEN
KIDDERMINSTER
aldershot
ALTRINCHAM

ALTRINCHAM 36pts -25

kidderminster
burton albion
SALISBURY CITY
ebbsfleet united
weymouth

FARSLEY CELTIC 36pts -25

torquay united
DROYLSDEN
oxford united
ebbsfleet
FOREST GREEN ROVERS
york city
GRAYS ATH

====================================================================================
====================================================================================

NORTHWICH 34pts -25

STAFFORD RANGERS
FOREST GREEN ROVERS
exeter city
torquay
GRAYS ATHLETIC
stevenage
CAMBRIDGE UNIITED

HALIFAX TOWN 33pts - 7

FOREST GREEN
KIDDERMINSTER
EBBSFLEET UTD
Grays Athletic
Burton Albion
ALDERSHOT
crawley Town
STEVENAGE

STAFFORD 19 pts -48

northwich
YORK CITY
cambridge united
CRAWLEY TOWN
exeter city
DROYLSDEN

DROYLSDEN 19 pts -52

CAMBRIDGE UNITED
farsley celtic
EBBSFLEET UNITED
weymouth
histon
WOKING
stafford rangers
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 08:43:07 AM by Hughesy »

Jenga

Re: RELEGATION RUN IN - updated 2/4/08
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 08:47:40 AM »

In my mind Weymouth and Slime will be safe, it will be us, Farsley and Halifax who will be 2 of the others to go down with Stafford and Drolysden.

Squeeky bum time.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 09:50:01 AM »

Stay positive everyone, we can do this - we had to win 3 (and a half) away matches to get to this division after all and we can do it again.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but I think it might be an idea to sponsor the coach again(like with Exeter and Torquay), we will want all the support we can get down at "Ebbsfleet" and Weymouth.

Taking my own advice about positivity - my take on the other teams.

Farsley - are not that good - they had 2 points from 4 games before the win against fellow strugglers Weymouth, and, Droylsden apart, their run in is fairly tough.

Weymouth - have to get four points ahead of us from two extra games (one of which is away to Aldershot) to be out of reach of us by the time we play them. And they have won only two of the last 14, at home to an irratic Stevenage, and the home derby against Exeter.

Northwich, Stafford excepted, have a fairly tough run in, and still need to make up 3 points on us. Their much vaunted unbeaten run is, I think, looking shaky, with draws against Histon and York with late equalisers, and a one goal win against ten man Oxford. I think it is quite likely that they will only get 9 more points or less. Once they lose, I think their form will dip.

Halifax have been on a terrible run and have perhaps the toughest run in of the four.

As for our matches.

Kidderminster - they were on a good run when they played us last time, and with the midweek match for Kidderminster giving Graham a chance to watch them, I don't see why we can't get a result again. Besides, I'll be blowed if we're going to get relegated by these lot again.

Burton will also have been watched I expect, and were beaten the other night. We seem to do fairly well at these teams with a strong home record for some reason (Crawley, Salisbury), and are certainly capable of getting something at Burton.

Salisbury - a mid table team at home (where we only have one defeat this year), already nearly beaten them etc. - clearly we could win this time.

Ebbsfleet - our best chance yet to win there. We will be well rested - as opposed to Ebbsfleet (who we will no doubt have a chance to watch) who have a few matches to make up. Hopefully they will be out of the promotion race and have an eye on the trophy final.

Weymouth - we have plenty of experience of these high pressure matches, and I think we can do it.

Alty365

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 10:08:17 AM »

"Weymouth - we have plenty of experience of these high pressure matches, and I think we can do it."

Recent high pressure "relegation matches" on final day

Kidderminster 2000  0-0  (Relegated)
Aldershot 2007 0-0 (Relegated)

Not a great precedent on which to work but I hope we do go there and get a relegation-dodging victory!

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 10:21:10 AM »

On a more optimistic note:

2004 Runcorn 1-0
2005 Kettering 2-1, Nuneaton 1-1, Eastbourne 2-1 (Yes I know I've ignored Hucknall 2-4)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 10:24:02 AM »

Well maybe we've learnt from it. :)

Anyway we won the play-offs and, I think, beat Runcorn to get into the Conference North.

I just hope they don't insist on announcing the scores from other games over the tannoy like at Hucknall

altyf

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 02:29:25 PM »

"Weymouth - we have plenty of experience of these high pressure matches, and I think we can do it."

Recent high pressure "relegation matches" on final day

Kidderminster 2000  0-0  (Relegated)
Aldershot 2007 0-0 (Relegated)

Not a great precedent on which to work but I hope we do go there and get a relegation-dodging victory!

Whilst they were both, obviously high pressure matches, neither of them were against a relegation threatened team. Kiddy had already won the league and Aldershot were mid table, and so, I think it will be quite different playing the last match of the season when BOTH teams are trying to avoid relegation.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 02:43:01 PM »

To be honest, when we look at the run in you try and convinve yourselves about things, beat Kiddy at home , should've beaten salisbury etc.

If you take a step back and look at it our run in if feckin horrendous. 8 points from that?

altyf

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 02:54:58 PM »

To be honest, when we look at the run in you try and convinve yourselves about things, beat Kiddy at home , should've beaten salisbury etc.

If you take a step back and look at it our run in if feckin horrendous. 8 points from that?
Exactly why I will be ecstatic (although extremely nervous) going into the last game needing to get something from weymouth to stay up...anyone who thinks we'll be safe by then is dreaming.

Jenga

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 04:53:14 PM »

Any one who thinks we still have a chance of staying up going in to the Weymouth game may also be dreaming, but here is to dreaming  ;D
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team