PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The trip to Grays
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The trip to Grays  (Read 5007 times)

Ian J

The trip to Grays
« on: March 16, 2008, 11:28:17 AM »

I was one of the travelling few to Grays yesterday and I'll tell you something: the quote from the Thurrock Gazette ("the team (Grays) produced the best 45 minutes of fluid passing football that fans have witnessed all season" just goes to show that some teams have it worse than us.
OK, they are going to stay in the BSP next year but people seem to forget very quickly how good some of our games have been this season.

And as for calling time on Mr Heathcote, how ridiculous!

People come on the forum stating that he doesn't play to people's strengths. Can I ask, who knows more about the playing staff than the manager?

The manager has to make a decision about how to approach the game and what formation to play. When you consider that the way things are going, it may well go down to goal difference at the end of the day. If he had played an attacking formation and lost four or five nil, some of you would say he'd played the wrong formation then.

We all like to think that we are the best team in the league but the unfortunate reality is that we're not. The manager will have done his homework on the teams we play and decide how best to approach the matches. Sometimes we need to aim for a draw and be solid at the back. With our goal difference the poorest of the three in the mix (us, Weymouth, Farsley) we need to try to improve this.

I know that nil points is nil points whether you lose by one goal or ten, but at this stage in the season surely we need to improve our goal difference if it does go down to the wire.

People seem too quick to criticise and to slow to support the manager. It seems to have escaped some of your attention's that we still have the same manager who won promotion to the now BSP and who is competing with full time teams on a much larger budget than us. On our day we can give much better teams more than a run for their money.

It may not have been the prettiest match against Grays but give the manager a break. How's about supporting him for a change and stopping calling for his head as soon as things don't look quite so rosy.

Where would Man Utd be if Sir Alex hadn't won the FA Cup when he first started at Old Trafford. His job was on the line but sometimes the manager can turn things around and look where they are now. OK, so we're no Champions League team, but let's get behind the manager and give the team a boost!

I said at the start of the season that we would stay up on merit and that hasn't changed. But the players (and managers) not only hear some of the comments made on the terraces but also read the forum too.

Let's support the manager, get behind the team, and try some positive thinking for a change (I for one believe that we will stay up on merit this season- no AGM's for us!)

markecky

Re: The trip to Grays
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 11:31:11 AM »

Do you really think that in a relegation battle, you need to aim for a draw?

Did you enjoy watching Alty yesterday?  Serious question....

Alty365

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 11:31:16 AM »

The buck stops with the manager. He was responsbile for the disgraceful performance yesterday and it cannot be tolerated any longer. We've consistently failed for the last two years so it's time to bring in someone with fresh ideas and a winning formula. There can be no room for sentiment in our siituation.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 11:42:13 AM »

Just had a very depressed Mr Jacobs on the phone and we both came to the same conclusion, which I'm sure others will have come to.

Man for man this is the best set of players we have had for some time and we believe we are good enough to stay up.

This just shows how much people care, i've had phone calls \ texts all morning from people being upset with what they saw\read about yesterday. This is what makes me think we are a 'bigger' club than some might think. We have a lot of people who care so much and have weekends (or as one 'pictured person said .. he he.. LIVES) ruined by what they watch on a Saturday or Tuesday.

People seem too quick to criticise and to slow to support the manager.
Is that a JOKE - I think you will find one of the most patient fans in this league. Imagine Stafford, Vics, Southport, Stalybridge, or any other countless number of sets of fans being so patient with what they are seeing ?? Who else would still manage 70-80 on a rearranged Tuesday night match in Torquay?? Who else would take 50-60 to Grays when playing so badly ??

Do the fans sit\stand being very quiet or SUPPORT and sing still ??... There has only been one set of fans singing \ showing real support at the last 3 games, and it was all for Altrincham FC.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 11:47:02 AM by gazwarrington »

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 11:43:13 AM »

I know that nil points is nil points whether you lose by one goal or ten, but at this stage in the season surely we need to improve our goal difference if it does go down to the wire.

It wont go down to the wire if you lose every game.Bollocks to goal difference, 4 wins and we'll be alright, but you arent going to win games when you dont show any initiative to attack.We're not asking for three upfront, 4-4-2 and attacking will suffice, get shotton in at centre back,and get laney at right back,if tinson has to be dropped then so be it.This really is the business end now, we need to WIN not go out 5-4-1 and try and stay in the game,we need to try and win the game.We should attack aldershot next week,we nearly had them in the home game, if we get T**tted we get T**tted,but at least try and win the game from the off.And if that 70k is knocking about, get some TOP QUALITY loan players/ringers in this week,and pay them for two months,the gamble is worth while.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 11:48:18 AM »

In fairness you make some good oints Ian. However, since our promotion (which was a great performance from squad & manager) we have not improved and, indeed, you could say we have gone backwards.

I know GH did not have a lot of time to get his squad together after the AGM, but this was the same scenario as the year before where we ended up with significantly more points than we will this year.

We needed 3 points from both Crawley & Grays and you have to attack a littla at least to get goals.

BTW, whenever there has been prvious discussions about GH's furure I have supported him. I am not saying I was wrong then, but we have to go forward - in more ways than one!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 11:53:26 AM by Jennifers Dad »

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 01:20:49 PM »

Ian J,

Have you only just realised that our goal difference is poor; we have the second worst defensive record in the league and we have only managed to achieve five clean sheets in 38 league games?

Gary Warrington is correct.
Alty fans are some of the most patient fans in the league and understand the problems we face as a part-time club in a largely full-time league.

It seems to me that it's the management who need to adopt some positive thinking rather than the supporters.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Ian J

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 01:28:59 PM »

I fully agree that the game wasn't one of the most eyecatching one's I have ever witnessed- far from it.

And I as much as anyone hope that it won't go down to goal difference at the end of the day but we have to accept that there is the possibility.

What I'm getting at is that the management and players are more than likely as disappointed as anyone.
The manager especially is as passionate about Alty as the next man, I just think that calling for his head after two poor games is a bit harsh.

I know it's the fickle nature of the fan's and we're all entitled to our own opinion, this is just mine.

Anyway, that aside, I hope we can bring in some decent loan signings to take us through to the end of the season and we can all look forward to next year in the BSP.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 01:38:36 PM »

What I'm getting at is that the management and players are more than likely as disappointed as anyone.

I f***in hate this bit when it comes up?

And? I should hope they are, but I doubt they're more disappointed than the people I've spoke to this weekend.

The manager especially is as passionate about Alty as the next man,

This sentence has no bearing on anything at all. Hughesy is as passionate abuot Alty as the next man, I don't want him managing the team though. Absolute irrelevance.

I just think that calling for his head after two poor games is a bit harsh.

It's a good idea at this time to introduce some humour to the argument....it was in jest wasn't it?

Ian J

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 01:48:25 PM »

Like I say, it's the fickle nature of the fans. ;)

Anyway, Grays match aside, Aldershot next. If we play like we did against them at Moss Lane I think we'll do alright.

markecky

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 01:55:42 PM »

Ian,

Have you been sent by the PR agency we so badly needed early season? ;D

Narcissist

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 02:30:52 PM »

Why is everyone so convinces that we deserved to beat grays away from home?

Why is everyone down a guys throat who actually made the effort to travel to the game and still remains positive after?

You lot are a f*ck1ng disgrace sometimes in your attitude.

As if our set of players is good enough to be outside of where they are. They're part-time, they're paid more or less f*ck all to go out and struggle every week and a fair few aren't even playing for their proper clubs.  ??? ??? ???

Im not saying its not GH's fault. But why is everyone so suprised, what a bunch of hypocrites. We're playing badly because we're bad full stop. Get over it, its been this bad for 3 seasons, and hopefully more.

Thanks Ian, I appreciate your opinion, and I value your positivity. Its a shame that the old guard of the forum are back to ganging up on the people who dont post that often.

Im off to sulk about another relegation battle positively.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 03:00:47 PM »

I think the essential reason people are feeling pi$$ed off is that ok, if we are not able to compete with certain clubs because they are so much better than fair enough; but when we play defensively, sit back and don't try to win games against teams we could actually beat then it is a different matter. The squad currently is stronger than in previous seasons, also fitter and in the main younger. Its better to stub out those 5-0's agreed but we need to get points on the board and opportunities have been wasted.

This league is weaker this season and we are looking at a smaller points tally than last year :-\
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

markecky

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008, 03:47:44 PM »

Narcissist,

I am usually Ian J.

However sometime you have to hold your hands up and say that things are sh*t when they are.

We have no right to beat Grays we have to at least give ourselves a chance of beating them.  Grays have the chairman in charge, were clueless at Kidderminster and were not world beaters.

I want to go down fighting not with a negative whimper.

Its not acceptable to not have a proper shot until the 93rd minutes.  Regardless of how long the manager has the served the club.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 03:53:34 PM by markecky »

Little Miss Robin

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2008, 06:52:09 PM »

Ian J,

Have you only just realised that our goal difference is poor; we have the second worst defensive record in the league and we have only managed to achieve five clean sheets in 38 league games?

Ok I dont come on the forum usually to post about selection or tactics largely because, for those who know me, although I watch the matches and try and be well informed I'm not exactly master tactitioner.  ::)

That said (and if im wrong just tell me - nicely) stats say we are the 2nd worst defensive team in the league - therefore its surely an area we should be looking to improve, not going all out for goals from the off and leaving the defence vulnerable? Logic that we are too defensive also doesn't reconcile with the fact that we have Colin as 4th best goalscorer in the league, and unlike Grays (just one example) who have scored just 33 goals, compared with our 45.

Like I said I dont have the answer, but until Colin gets dropped or in the unlikely event we find some defenders smaller than Chris Senior and he isnt played from the start I think we have the nucleus of a team that as long as they stop leaking goals can survive on the basis that once the opposition are under control then (as saturday) the likes of Roca and Senior can then come on and try and help col (and Joe). I was actually pleased to see Shotton having a go on Saturday at coming forward. Remember we had no Joe and no other (tall person) option. For a defender to come forward to help, I reckon was at least a departure from being extra defensive  ;)

Anyway, I know its not very constructive to just say be patient and I am just as depressed as anyone (particularly as im writing this im watching Weymouth winning at Burton) but i dont think its new management that is needed - just a new JJ! 

C'mon Burton!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 06:54:48 PM by Little Miss Robin »
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The trip to Grays