News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Who remembers this?

Author Topic: Who remembers this?  (Read 4083 times)

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Who remembers this?
« on: March 11, 2008, 10:49:03 AM »

A sad sight

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ormondroyd/tags/wexhampark/show/

Unless I'm mistaken, we never lost there. Are there any other grounds from the modern era that we can say the same about?
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Who remembers this?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 11:00:40 AM »

A sad sight

Unless I'm mistaken, we never lost there. Are there any other grounds from the modern era that we can say the same about?

We've never lost at Aldershot!

Reading Robin

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 11:03:50 AM »

A friend of mine is a Slough fan, i've been to see them a few times.  They recently got approval for a new ground, which should see their attendances rise dramatically and start to climb the leagues a bit.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 11:30:44 AM »

A sad sight

We've never lost at Aldershot!

Or Torquay.

Alex

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 11:49:09 AM »

it's always a sad sight to see grounds like this, i have never been to slough but as i looked at those pictures i couldn't help but wander about the people who used to go and watch them play and how i'd feel if moss lane ever ended up like that.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 02:42:05 PM »

Poor Slough Town - they are playing at Beaconsfield SYCOB's ground this year - and SYCOB are worried about being swallowed up by the larger club (The S in SYCOB stands for Slough - in full Beaconsfield (and) Slough Youth Club Old Boys).  Slough's coach is a guy who, when he was coach of SYCOB U10's A (last season!) stole two of my players (I was coach of SYCOB U9's B) and hastened my departure to coach Burnham U10's this season. (and what sort of club appoints as first team coach someone managing an U10's team!)

By the way I have been to Bangor City 6 times, and seen us play them at home about 9 times and never seen us lose - although John Rogers 93rd minute equaliser following a 90th minute John Hughes (yes THE John Hughes) goal for Bangor in the 3-3 draw in 1978 came close.  But we must have lost at Bangor over the years...

But how could you forget: we've never lost at the Connett Arena / New Drill Field / or whatever it is called!

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 03:25:27 PM »

A sad sight

No, but I remember a particularly horrendous draw down there when there were more Barnet fans in attandance than Slough fans. I took two days off work to go down to that game.....signed off with football induced stress.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

thegazelle

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 03:26:47 PM »

might never have lost at slough but i can recall a disasterous draw there one wet and windy night in april 91

oh that was when i realised it wasnt ging to happen or was it 0-0 at home to fisher

posted simultaniously mr globnasty and there were more barnet than slough   how we gloated at 3-1 how we cried at 3-3
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 03:28:38 PM by thegazelle »

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 04:51:15 PM »

That was definately the night it turned, also a fair few Wycombe fans in the ground too I recall!
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 05:00:48 PM »

Memories of 91....when Slough got a corner 4 mins into injury time (at least I think it was this late) with the score at 3-2, who expected anything other than an equaliser?
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 05:16:23 PM »

Poor Slough Town - they are playing at Beaconsfield SYCOB's ground this year - and SYCOB are worried about being swallowed up by the larger club (The S in SYCOB stands for Slough - in full Beaconsfield (and) Slough Youth Club Old Boys).  Slough's coach is a guy who, when he was coach of SYCOB U10's A (last season!) stole two of my players (I was coach of SYCOB U9's B) and hastened my departure to coach Burnham U10's this season. (and what sort of club appoints as first team coach someone managing an U10's team!)

By the way I have been to Bangor City 6 times, and seen us play them at home about 9 times and never seen us lose - although John Rogers 93rd minute equaliser following a 90th minute John Hughes (yes THE John Hughes) goal for Bangor in the 3-3 draw in 1978 came close.  But we must have lost at Bangor over the years...

But how could you forget: we've never lost at the Connett Arena / New Drill Field / or whatever it is called!

I saw us lose 4-0 at Bangor on a Tuesday night in October 1988  in the Conference Cup (I can't remember what name it had then)!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 05:34:20 PM »

I saw us lose 4-0 at Bangor on a Tuesday night in October 1988  in the Conference Cup (I can't remember what name it had then)!

Brian,

Ironically, that particular competition was called the Clubcall Cup.

Hang your head in shame!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 06:12:43 PM »

Brian,

Ironically, that particular competition was called the Clubcall Cup.

Hang your head in shame!

Doh!!!!
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Who remembers this?