PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Top 5 Alty Hardnuts?
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Top 5 Alty Hardnuts?  (Read 7978 times)

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5 Alty Hardnuts?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 08:41:28 PM »

No.1  - and by miles "six foot 2 eyes are blue GERRY CASEY's after you. Tony Saunder's wrote an article in a National Sunday paper before the Tottenham game saying Gerry was the hardenst nut he ever met in Football. There was a standing joke that an Everton player made a prematch treat to Gerry that he would break his leg. Gerry's reaction was "son, I'm 36 and have seen blokes that would eat you for dinner, but if you want to mix it, you dont have to come looking for me". Sure he wasnt the quickest defender, but he was a very good Centre Half, and not much went past him. Challenged for everything - a great competitor. Compared to Gerry, Liverpool's legendry Toomy Smith was a fairy.

2. Joe Pritchard - Gerry Casey's partner on the pitch and on building sites. A lot quieter verbally than Gerry, but a real tuogh nut - also our leading scorer one season.

3. Johnny King - hard and loved to mix it. However, got as much as he gave, probably because he wound up opponents even before the match started.

4. Les Campbell - the hardman of the Jackie Swindells era. Was there also another player of that era that had a reputation and got lengthy suspensions, or was it just Les ?

5. Lennie Dickenson - I also remember that incident again Macc at Stockport which as good as cost us the match. If I am correct it was on Ian Morris who Alty later signed from Macc ?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 09:24:24 PM »

No.1  - and by miles "six foot 2 eyes are blue GERRY CASEY's after you. Tony Saunder's wrote an article in a National Sunday paper before the Tottenham game saying Gerry was the hardenst nut he ever met in Football. There was a standing joke that an Everton player made a prematch treat to Gerry that he would break his leg. Gerry's reaction was "son, I'm 36 and have seen blokes that would eat you for dinner, but if you want to mix it, you dont have to come looking for me". Sure he wasnt the quickest defender, but he was a very good Centre Half, and not much went past him. Challenged for everything - a great competitor. Compared to Gerry, Liverpool's legendry Toomy Smith was a fairy.

2. Joe Pritchard - Gerry Casey's partner on the pitch and on building sites. A lot quieter verbally than Gerry, but a real tuogh nut - also our leading scorer one season.

3. Johnny King - hard and loved to mix it. However, got as much as he gave, probably because he wound up opponents even before the match started.

4. Les Campbell - the hardman of the Jackie Swindells era. Was there also another player of that era that had a reputation and got lengthy suspensions, or was it just Les ?

5. Lennie Dickenson - I also remember that incident again Macc at Stockport which as good as cost us the match. If I am correct it was on Ian Morris who Alty later signed from Macc ?

Joe Pritchard was one of my early Alty heroes.

Alty really should have won the Northern Premier League in the 1973/74 season but a fixture backlog took its toll and the opportunity passed us by.

Joe was Alty's top scorer that season with 25 goals - not bad for a midfield player!
A great striker of the ball.

Alas, I believe that he suffered an injury at work the following season and he never really recovered.   
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

markecky

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 09:28:58 PM »

As a "younger supporter" my hardmen would have to be from those I have seen.

1) Ken McKenna....totaly fearless

2) Andy Green...a frightening man

3) Mick Carmody - would just run through walls

4) Paul Ellender...was just a mountain

5) Barry Knowles - small but a real fighter

My best Andy Green memory (apart from him getting sent off just after coming on as he was cross about him being sub) involves chips. 

He scores at the Golf Rd end.  I was eating some chips down at the front to stop Pete Hughes taking a handful.  He did not celebrate just walked up to me a took a chip and ate it.  You just don't get that in the Premier League.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008, 09:50:00 PM »

As a "younger supporter" my hardmen would have to be from those I have seen.

1) Ken McKenna....totaly fearless

2) Andy Green...a frightening man

3) Mick Carmody - would just run through walls

4) Paul Ellender...was just a mountain

5) Barry Knowles - small but a real fighter

My best Andy Green memory (apart from him getting sent off just after coming on as he was cross about him being sub) involves chips. 

He scores at the Golf Rd end.  I was eating some chips down at the front to stop Pete Hughes taking a handful.  He did not celebrate just walked up to me a took a chip and ate it.  You just don't get that in the Premier League.

Tony Kelly would have eaten the whole lot....

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2008, 10:13:50 PM »

Can't believe nobody's mentioned Derek 'Tank' Halliwell.
I remember in an away match in the Cheshire League at Rhyl (I think it was before substitutes) he threw himself for a diving header and split his head open on the goal post leaving the field very groggy. Went across the road to the hospital, got stitched up and came back on in the second half with a big bandage round his head!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

thegazelle

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2008, 04:23:47 AM »

kingy bar none has anyone got the picture from sheff utd with kingy doing a terry butcher i'd love it framed on my wall

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2008, 09:57:38 AM »

An brilliant article from four four two (don't know when) by Andy Mitten (a really good writer). Encapsulates everything talked about in this thread. n.b. I was searching for the photo of Kingy which I have seen on the official site.

http://www.altrinchamfc.co.uk/442mitten.htm

Bear Town Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2008, 11:47:40 AM »

Keith Russell could look after himself.

Chinned a defender at the golf rd end after he took exception to a challenge Keith put in on the keeper.

Also dished it out at Boston after the linesman failed to spot a blatant off the ball stamp on him. A chair got it as well if I remember correctly!?

Jenga

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2008, 02:45:27 PM »

It does say Alty hardnuts.

So I am going to vote for Market Dave  ::)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2008, 03:25:31 PM »

An brilliant article from four four two (don't know when) by Andy Mitten (a really good writer). Encapsulates everything talked about in this thread. n.b. I was searching for the photo of Kingy which I have seen on the official site.

http://www.altrinchamfc.co.uk/442mitten.htm

Ballers,

This article appeared in the November 2004 issue of Four Four Two.

DarrenH

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2008, 03:42:23 PM »

There are one or two in my time but Eddie Bishop was a pretty scray character !

Dougals Dad

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2008, 06:05:25 PM »

Mark Sertori struck me as someone I wouldn't want to meet down a dark alley at nigh!

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2008, 06:46:25 PM »

Phil (The suntan) Power didn,t he get set off a few times playing for Alty?
@AltyDaz

Stoneacre Lad

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2008, 07:19:35 PM »

Joe Paladino was a hard bloke, did'nt he chin someone once at the end of a match

Alty365

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2008, 07:30:36 PM »

Joe Paladino was a hard bloke, did'nt he chin someone once at the end of a match

That was a Chester fan. If you watch the video of the game during the pitch invasion at the end you can see him lying on the floor.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Top 5 Alty Hardnuts?