PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Val Owen
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Val Owen  (Read 25591 times)

rushden fan

Val Owen
« on: October 29, 2006, 10:51:53 AM »

Something from our website www.rdfcnet-forum.co.uk about Val Owen, a statemant from one of our supporters that I and everyone else at the game happen to agree with.

"What a talentless thug this guy was. No skill whatsoever, he just seemed to go around clattering opponents and sticking his foot in."

"I thought he was trying to set a record for being the first player to be sent off twice at the same away ground in a season"

Why dont some of you register on the forum. There is always good banter.

conf2006

Re: Val Owen
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 11:16:06 AM »

bit harsh but hes nearly 36 and been a good player , think we need to try hussin or bushell instead of val

Diamond Fan

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 11:27:44 AM »

Living in Ireland I wasn't at the game, but he does tend to sound a lot like our ex-player Drewe Broughton.
Drewe was a ''typical non league player''. Big, strong, tough...and a little stupid on some occasions (to the tune of 8 red cards....)

However, at one of my rare appearences at Nene Park, he was easily my favorite player. He was determined, and got stuck  in. During a bad run, he was a bright spark, at least for me. I dont no Val, but if he is anything like Drewe, then I'm sure he's a great player. Some people find the traditional robust style of playing intimidating.... but its what clubs at our level need!

However, if Val is just a dirty player then I'm sure rdfcnets opinion of him is right! ;)

moousee

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 11:36:23 AM »

nothing 'dirty' about him, there was no intent. He can just be clumsy with the challenges.

Diamond Fan

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 11:39:59 AM »

Well then I'm sure its just typical ''anti-other team'' mentality on our board.  ;)

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 11:41:36 AM »

"''typical non league player''" ... Well we are a non league club like yourselves  ;) so the sort of player to have

I just think he is more clumsy than cynical. and you are allowed to "Stick you foot in" as long as you don't foul. What did you want him to do applaud your players as they ran towards him ?

I think Val did well to actually get near your players to be able to foul them, some of our team didn't seem to be able to do that.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 11:45:26 AM by gazwarrington »

Diamond Fan

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 11:43:12 AM »

Don't remind me >:( ;)

BTW what is the ''Karma'' thing by my profile?

I'm on +0/-1 at the moment....is that bad?! ???

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 11:46:38 AM »

well I've given you one back as you seem ok.

Its just if people like you or not (or agree with your posts)

Basically Liked\Good (Goodwin, our chairman) or disliked\bad (Peake, you knw the t*sser)

Diamond Fan

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 02:19:51 PM »

Oh, I see....thanks for that!

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 03:03:24 PM »

I think you'll find Val is a bit of a midfield bruiser but he is 36ish now, a few years back he was a real dynamo. In our promotion season he was an absolute catalyst. Man of the match in both the Conf North final and the North/South final. He scored 2 in the former and 1 in the latter. In short there was no-one stopping him bringing us up to the conference, the best analgoy I can give is he was like Roy Keane when Utd won in Jueventus to get to the champs lge final, 2 better performances I cannot recall from an Alty player.

This is a tough level though, last week v Southport he got a foot in everywhere and was vital, before that games were passing him by a bit.

So I think R&D are beinga bit harsh without knowing his past and teams do need his type of player. I suspect on a couple of times this seasons (Vics 4 R&D 0) that R&D may have done with him or similar. :-\

Diamond Fan

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 03:21:38 PM »

He does sound like Drewe. Unfortunately, no matter how he left last year (seen laughing on our relegation day, on the pitch, refused to sign new contract, left for Chester), we do need a player like him. As do most non-lg clubs. We tried to replace him with LF West...but he wasn't great!

Every club needs a tough bruiser type player....if they don't lead by example in skill, their determination definitely does it.

babybrads

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 09:43:31 AM »

i tryed to register but could not register... email address banned it said

on the val subject i think val is clumbsy but atleast you now he aint going to back out of a challenge when they are needed no alty players likes to be run at by others val did try his best and i think he is a solid player who can sometimes control a game but R & D  were simply just better on the day
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 09:57:36 AM by babybrads »

Tom

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006, 10:00:29 AM »

You have to remember we havent seen the best of val this year but to say that val is a thug is a bit harsh, the man was once a goalscoring defensive midfielder, an excellent footballer with great pedigry fit to grace any conference side. Bore off, know your history

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 12:40:12 PM »

I also do not think Val is a thug, he is a hard working player, who still has a part to play in the Alty line up.

He as done alot for us over the last couple of season's!

Diamond Fan

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 02:24:19 PM »

i tryed to register but could not register... email address banned it said

I think hotmail addresses are banned. Others are ok though. 8)
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Val Owen