News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Torquay

Author Topic: Torquay  (Read 2465 times)

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Torquay
« on: February 02, 2008, 06:13:37 PM »

So Torquay are through to the Trophy quarter-finals, which are being played on Feb 23rd.

I've mentioned this a couple of times before but I think this means that, if their q-f ends in a draw, our match with them on the 26th would have to be re-arranged yet again to make way for a replay.

It's pretty tough on our players and fans if we're only going to know whether we're definitely going to Torquay three days beforehand.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Torquay
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 08:16:06 PM »

Thats football though!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 08:20:23 PM »

Torquay were scheduled to visit Droylsden on 23rd February, so that game has bitten the dust.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Alty365

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 08:21:16 PM »

So Torquay are through to the Trophy quarter-finals, which are being played on Feb 23rd.

I've mentioned this a couple of times before but I think this means that, if their q-f ends in a draw, our match with them on the 26th would have to be re-arranged yet again to make way for a replay.

It's pretty tough on our players and fans if we're only going to know whether we're definitely going to Torquay three days beforehand.

I think from the player's point of view you just prepare for it and if it's off, it's off. It will be played at some point so it's not worth worrying about.

However, from the supporter's point of view it could cause a fair bit of inconvenience but these things happen.

baldrick

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 08:23:27 PM »

I know a lot of people don't agree with me but i think the league should always take priority over any other competition.

Alty365

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 08:28:06 PM »

I know a lot of people don't agree with me but i think the league should always take priority over any other competition.

I think where the CSC is concerned the league should always take priority. I always try to imagine how bemused the likes of Cambridge and Oxford are when a club calls a league game off due to a county cup match being rescheduled.

shefalty

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 04:23:27 AM »

I think from the player's point of view you just prepare for it and if it's off, it's off. It will be played at some point so it's not worth worrying about.

However, from the supporter's point of view it could cause a fair bit of inconvenience but these things happen.

but surely its the same for a player who has a part-time job and has to book the day off to travel down to torquay on a tuesday night, as it is for a fan travelling down?

Butty

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 09:24:24 AM »

For this, i think that somebody should use some bloody common sense. We have already had to lose all of our bookings, ect on one trip, so surely it would be a good idea to play the trophy replay some other time. Like said, all of our fans and all but five of our players will have lost a days pay because of this. Come on, surely, I know it is rare for the FA/Conference, but show some understanding
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Torquay