PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Torquay United - Away - A Plea for Help
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Torquay United - Away - A Plea for Help  (Read 4087 times)

Jacobs

« on: January 28, 2008, 03:23:09 PM »

For the away game to Torquay on a bleak Tuesday in February we are hoping to run a coach.

I am coming here with a plea to all supporters who are going to Torquay to tray and travel on the supporters coach.

The aim of the supporters coaches is to get as many fans as possible to games and break even at the end of the season.  It is not possible for it to lose money and this money would have to be found from somewhere and the travel club must be self sufficient.  In terms of our home support our away support is amongst the best in the league on a percentage basis and is very much appreciated by the players and management.  This was evdident at Cambridge when players and fans alike applauded each other to a man (or woman!) after our battling performance.

We currently have 15 people on the coach and this is a tremendous number to start off with as it is a ridiculous journey ( 496 Mile round Trip)  for a Tuesday evening.  This same 15 and more will then spend another large sum of money getting to Exeter on the Saturday.

If we manage to run the coach then Geoff Goodwin has kindly offered to reduce the price by £100 which is a start.

So firstly we need people to travel with us....

If anyone would like to travel on the coach below are the travel details

Times

Vine                           12:30pm
Hare and Hounds          12:40pm
Station House               12:45pm
Ground                      12:50pm

Prices

The current price is £35 this may increase or decrease by a few pound dependent on numbers

I believe that the people travelling down are representing the club and the fans who can't make it and should be applauded and helped to do so if they can show such commitment.  Many of the fans booked on do not have alternative ways to get there and some could miss their first game in years.

With this in mind, STAR would like to ask if anyone would consider making a donation towards the cost of the coach to ensure it can run.  Maybe the entrance fee you would have spent if you had gone or any amount would be a help.  We appreciate that this is an unusual request but there is no harm in asking.

If you can help, you can pass your pledge your money on here or by private message and I'll arrange to collect it from you or tell you where to send it.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 03:25:21 PM by Jacobs »

markecky

Re: Torquay United - Away - A Plea for Help
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 03:35:57 PM »

Tom,

As discussed mate I think this is an excellent idea.

I cannot make Torquay as I cannot get time off work and money is tight. I am hoping to make Exeter on the Saturday though.

I think the fans who are travelling down there on a midweek night should be thanked for representing our club.

I'll pledge £20 towards it mate and give it you on Thursday night at Woking.  And I'll feel that if I have done my bit as well despite being unable to go.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 05:46:11 PM »

There are some wonderful (older) people on that coach who have been to every game that I can remember. I'm with Ecky on this one and will give you cash on Thursday.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 06:29:29 PM »

Im going by train, as Im staying over in devon.However the coach offers an invaluable service to ALL our supporters and we should all reaslise how lucky we are to have a coach run to every fixture no matter what, be it league,tinpot cup,and no matter what the distance.

Unfortunatly the distances of most of the away fixtures in this league means coaches are going to be more and more costly to run, I will also donate £20 to help make sure a coach runs to torquay mate, as none of us ever know when we will need to use this service, even if we dont use it on a regular basis.I would hate to be in a postion where there wasnt a coach available if needed,And once a coach doesnt run to a certain fixture, apathy can creep in, so i'll give you £20 towards running coaches to both toquay and exeter in that four day period.
Keep up the good work tom.

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 06:47:36 PM »

How about doing a special bucket collection on thursday night towards the costs of the two coach trips? I will definately put more than the usual in. The club are already getting 5 grand for the match :)
@AltyDaz

AltySi

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 06:51:57 PM »

I'll donate an extra £10 to cover the loss

george

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 06:58:43 PM »

Tom, Call in the office I'll support you're efforts & donate £20 with everyone else. George.

markecky

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 07:23:22 PM »

How about doing a special bucket collection on Thursday night towards the costs of the two coach trips? I will definitely put more than the usual in. The club are already getting 5 grand for the match :)

I know Tom does not have the net at home...this was discussed on the coach home but it would be hard to do as it may put some people off giving and then they may not give next time.

Darren you could give direct t Tom (or I'll take it for him if anyone see's me).

Judging by 150 views and 4 replies some people are a bit unsure on this but I believe its very important to the club, and future away travel, that this coach goes.

A good start though so far.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 08:38:37 PM »

Tom, Call in the office I'll support you're efforts & donate £20 with everyone else. George.

Mister Heslop,

A noble gesture....but I feel that I have to point out that those white £5 notes in your wallet are no longer accepted as legal tender.

Could Thursday evening's Golden Goal kitty go towards the coach travel fund?
I always cave in to Foz's dazzling sales patter and end up buying one of those...
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 09:14:31 PM »

How about doing a special bucket collection on Thursday night towards the costs of the two coach trips? I will definitely put more than the usual in. The club are already getting 5 grand for the match :)

I know Tom does not have the net at home...this was discussed on the coach home but it would be hard to do as it may put some people off giving and then they may not give next time.

Darren you could give direct t Tom (or I'll take it for him if anyone see's me).

Judging by 150 views and 4 replies some people are a bit unsure on this but I believe its very important to the club, and future away travel, that this coach goes.

A good start though so far.

I don't think anyone need to feel as though they must, or that they even need to put it on the forum, or that it needs to be as high as £20 but if you do use the coaches just re-read Hughesy's post to sum it up.

You can always pass it to Ecky or Tom, and if you don't know who they are I'm sure a pot can be arranged behind the bar for donations.

Every little helps as they say.

James Black

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 10:05:57 PM »

i'll give twenty quid all fans that r going well done and give a lads an extra cheer from the fans who can't make who travel to and go every home and away match ;)

baldrick

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 11:27:28 PM »

I'm not sure i understand this. Are you saying that there are not enough bookings to cover the cost of running the coach? If so why not use a smaller vehicle, maybe a minibus? Or how about trying to do a deal with the train company for a block booking.

markecky

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 11:35:01 PM »

Baldrick,

What being said is that basically there are not enough bookings for the coach to be viable on its own..  Easy option is that there is no coach to the game.

However that would leave a lot of regulars stranded with no other way of getting there and very little support for the team.  And once people get out of the habit then it can be bad for future coaches.

A smaller 30 seater is not much if any cheaper as it still needs two drivers and a similar amount of diesel. 

A minibus needs a willing driver or two and is very cramped for a 500 mile trip.

And I don't think there are many trains at that time night to get people back.

Thats why Tom has asked if people will help as a one off.  For me it a way of supporting the team without being able to go,knowing that others will be able to.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 12:32:44 AM »

Excerpt from the report on last week's STAR AGM taken from John Laidlar's website:

"Likewise the STAR members approved a motion proposed by Altrincham FC director Andrew Shaw and vice-chairman Grahame Rowley. This proposed that STAR accept an offer of £1 a share for 2,500 of STAR's shares in the Football Club. STAR will retain 529 shares. Andrew Shaw confirmed that the money for the shares would find its way back to the Football Club."

Would it be possible for STAR to release some of these incoming funds of £2,500 to help subsidise the coach to Torquay as a one-off gesture in such exceptional circumstances where the regular away supporters face two trips to Devon in the same week?   
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Whiskers

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 10:28:54 AM »

There was talk on the coach from Cambridge of the possibility of getting a signed shirt and either having a raffle or putting it up for auction? Did anybody follow this up?
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team